Thread: NEWB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NEWB

Tried to add a picture at the top of my post as instructed but the link was rejected because I don't have five posts. Still learning the ropes.

First of all, I'll be 59 y/o in a few months. I took a FREE Krav Maga class last year and went back and took it again. They emphasized punches and I got hooked... I LIKE HITTING S**T! Problem was, the classes were few and far between so I started looking for a Kali class (thank you Jason Bourne) in my area. Found one in a town about 15 miles south of where I am and have been going since late Nov, early Dec 2012. I really love this stuff and recently bought some books on Silat.

So, I'm very new at this but strangely I feel different just in the six months or so that I've been involved in this stuff. I'm not looking to go out and try any new fighting skills on someone, I'm mostly just fascinated with how I feel while doing it. I find myself being calmer, driving slower and basically more laid back. I've never been aggressive (except maybe driving) and I'm 6'3", 215 lbs, so it's not really a confidence thing because I've always been pretty confident... maybe in a delusional way but confident nonetheless. Maybe I would feel the same way if I had taken up knitting, I don't know.

My KM instructor took me to his Kajukenbo class and I wound up sparring a Black Belt! I could hardly sleep that night I was so wound up! IT WAS FUN! Of course, he was in total control but it showed very clearly my limitations. I'm working on filling that void.

Also, as a result of the punching emphasis in the KM class, I've taken up heavy bag training and love it.

So, here I am! Brad

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
    I'm mostly just fascinated with how I feel while doing it. I find myself being calmer, driving slower and basically more laid back.
    Driving, funny you mentioned that. A very noticeable effect MA training has on me (my wife points it out all the time) is how cool-as-a-cucumber I drive nowadays, which is difficult because I live in NJ with some of the worst road-ragers in the nation. I also have a history of anxiety-related issues.

That buildup of anxiety I used to get when traffic slowed, or when cut off, or when some complete jackass almost kills me with his vehicle... just doesn't happen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
    I'm working on filling that void.
    A funny thing to say because I believe as long as you keep reminding yourself that void can never be filled, you'll continue to improve as a martial artist. In MA circles, this is colloquially known as "emptying your cup".
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/15/2013 12:21pm at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recognize the feeling. Started BJJ half a year ago and this has made me more relaxed, not only while driving.