Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    212
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, are they factory mags, good quality aftermarket, or are they really cheap crap you picked up at a gun show for next to nothing?

  2. #12
    3moose1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    9,616
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way it works in my house, is we have roughly one mag or so for each weapons system loaded, (with special "home defense" rounds!). I don't really see a huge problem with leaving **** loaded, unless your using cheap, 500 year old USMC magazines that say, "**** you" if you load them to capacity.

    If you're that concerned with it, just leave one loaded for use, and the others unloaded until you plan on hitting the range.

    and seriously, don't lose sleep about it. Mag springs are cheap.

    PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

  3. #13
    IMightBeWrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,055
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just load them up and don't bother rotating them. Springs do not wear down when left compressed, they wear down by being continually compressed and decompressed over time. That applies to all of the springs in your automatics as well. It takes use to wear it down, otherwise you can pretty well consider the springs at rest.

  4. #14
    WhiteShark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,167
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought it had nothing to do with the spring and was about warping the lips on the magazine?

  5. #15
    Vorpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,082
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most deformation of magazine lips comes from people slamming them into the magazine well like they are in a goddamn action movie or something. I can't imagine that the upward pressure of a magazine spring would be enough to deform the lips but I've been wrong before.

  6. #16
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,437
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Most deformation of magazine lips comes from people slamming them into the magazine well like they are in a goddamn action movie or something. I can't imagine that the upward pressure of a magazine spring would be enough to deform the lips but I've been wrong before.
    I think it's possible that the lips on polymer mags can become deformed from spring pressure over time. I have absolutely no scientific evidence to support that. Just my guess. I keep the dust cover on my polymer mags when not loaded in a rifle to reduce pressure on the lips. With steel mags, I'd guess it's highly unlikely you'll ever have any deformation from spring pressure.

  7. #17
    IMightBeWrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,055
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I think it's possible that the lips on polymer mags can become deformed from spring pressure over time. I have absolutely no scientific evidence to support that. Just my guess. I keep the dust cover on my polymer mags when not loaded in a rifle to reduce pressure on the lips. With steel mags, I'd guess it's highly unlikely you'll ever have any deformation from spring pressure.
    That just doesn't seem likely to me at all. There are a lot of myths out there regarding guns, and I believe all of them regarding leaving mags loaded causing problems are just that. Plus most polymer mags are steel lined.

  8. #18
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,437
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    That just doesn't seem likely to me at all. There are a lot of myths out there regarding guns, and I believe all of them regarding leaving mags loaded causing problems are just that. Plus most polymer mags are steel lined.
    From Magpul:

    "The PMAG Dust/Impact cover is designed for use during long-term storage. The cover keeps dust and debris out of the magazine, protects feed lips from impact damage, and removes pressure from feed lips to prevent "creep" during long-term storage. Updated for 2008, new Dust/Impact covers feature an integral go/no-go gauge to measure magazine feed lips."

  9. #19
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,485
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Just load them up and don't bother rotating them. Springs do not wear down when left compressed, they wear down by being continually compressed and decompressed over time. That applies to all of the springs in your automatics as well. It takes use to wear it down, otherwise you can pretty well consider the springs at rest.
    If a spring is left fully compressed, it will lose force over time.

    Example is a coil spring. Rule of thumb says to never compress more than 2/3 compression over a period of time without losing some spring force. This is an engineering and design rule of thumb. A magazine spring is of a different type, but the concept still remains. Excessive compression will reduce the spring pressure over time.

    Will the 20 round clip continue to feed the last rounds if stored fully loaded for many years? You may well never have a problem. A good magazine design should have spring travel fully loaded that does not approach excessive compression.

    Still - I'll leave the last couple of rounds out when storing for a long period. If I can't kill them with the first 18, then it's time to sell the damn thing and go blunderbuss.

  10. #20
    TEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    BFNTX
    Posts
    2,763
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Springs do not wear down when left compressed, they wear down by being continually compressed and decompressed over time. That applies to all of the springs in your automatics as well. It takes use to wear it down, otherwise you can pretty well consider the springs at rest.
    This was my understanding as well.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

    Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO