Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ, Muy Thai, Boxing, or Some other MA???

I only have time to train 2x per week. Simply put, I would like to learn how to fight and defend myself (I also wouldnt mind a great workout while training)

I also dont really have an MA training (other than some TKD when I was like 5)

That being said, if you were in my situation, and you only had two days per week to train, which style would you choose and why? (I plan on doing weight training and cardio on M,W,F. and then training in one of the above T & Th.)

So, would you choose BJJ, Muy Thai, Boxing, or some other form of Martial Arts?

Also, which one of the above would get me the most ripped? I think if I can look like a badass (Ripped biceps, pecs, forearms, legs, etc.) that would probably be an additional deterant against people messing with me.

Thanks alot everyone!

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using common sense, not picking fights and pre-emptively avoiding potentially dangerous places is the best way to defend yourself, after that carry a gun if you are legally allowed and then train MA for self defence.

Consider Judo, it will teach you throws, some pickups (think: takedowns) and enough groundwork to cover your ass.

Or MT, where they would teach you striking from standup and the clinch.

Alternatively you could join a MMA club and do a bit of everything.

None of the sports will inherently make you more ripped. Looking ripped means lifting heavy weight (which you already plan to do) and having low body fat (so eat properly and run a lot).

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im more interested in peoples opinions about which ONE style they would choose if they were in my position. If you had to choose ONLY BJJ, or MT, etc., which one would it be??

You can have all the common sense in the world, and never pick fights and always avoid dangerous places, but eventually most people will find themselves in an unfortunate situation at some point in their life. Its those situations that I want to learn to fight and defend myself in. Situations where I would not consider using a firearm are the ones I want to learn self defense for. Common street fight type situations.

I can carry a firearm, and I do. However, even in a 'Castle Rule" situation, you will still face an investigation from the D.A.'s office, and you will most definitely face a civil suit from the scumbags family. The ONLY time I would even consider using my weapon on someone is if they had either broke into my house (I would blast them immediately), or if they were threatening me or my family with a dangerous weapon in a public place (Knife, Gun or something of equal force that could cause death.)
    Last edited by declaw; 5/16/2010 10:00pm at .

Style
    Thai Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by declaw View Post
    I only have time to train 2x per week. Simply put, I would like to learn how to fight and defend myself (I also wouldnt mind a great workout while training)

I also dont really have an MA training (other than some TKD when I was like 5)

That being said, if you were in my situation, and you only had two days per week to train, which style would you choose and why? (I plan on doing weight training and cardio on M,W,F. and then training in one of the above T & Th.)

So, would you choose BJJ, Muy Thai, Boxing, or some other form of Martial Arts?

Also, which one of the above would get me the most ripped? I think if I can look like a badass (Ripped biceps, pecs, forearms, legs, etc.) that would probably be an additional deterant against people messing with me.

Thanks alot everyone!
    why do you only have two days a week to train a martial art, but you have 5 days a week which you can train in general?

I've been doing Muay Thai, and I love it, The classes I go to make it one of the most demanding exercises I've ever had, lots of cardio, and lots of core exercises as well. The gym manager there told me to start with muay thai, as it would get me in the best shape in the shortest time, and also because I am more drawn towards striking in a competitive setting- at least to start. since thats the only one I know anything about, thats all I have for you, but there are a whole lot of people really into judo/bjj around here, and I'm sure they'll be popping up soon.

Oh, and finally, if you get in fights all the time, and are looking at this as a way to beat up people who rub you the wrong way, The best thing to do would be to shell out the cash for a therapist to help you through your anger, IMHO.

p.s. you might want to remove "tkd" from the style form, unless you want to get **** from people who think that TKD is gay, as well as the people who are really into it, and say that " 'some' when you were five" doesn't count as experience.

Cheers, and good luck.

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madeofcandy View Post
    why do you only have two days a week to train a martial art, but you have 5 days a week which you can train in general?

I've been doing Muay Thai, and I love it, The classes I go to make it one of the most demanding exercises I've ever had, lots of cardio, and lots of core exercises as well. The gym manager there told me to start with muay thai, as it would get me in the best shape in the shortest time, and also because I am more drawn towards striking in a competitive setting- at least to start. since thats the only one I know anything about, thats all I have for you, but there are a whole lot of people really into judo/bjj around here, and I'm sure they'll be popping up soon.

Oh, and finally, if you get in fights all the time, and are looking at this as a way to beat up people who rub you the wrong way, The best thing to do would be to shell out the cash for a therapist to help you through your anger, IMHO.

p.s. you might want to remove "tkd" from the style form, unless you want to get **** from people who think that TKD is gay, as well as the people who are really into it, and say that " 'some' when you were five" doesn't count as experience.

Cheers, and good luck.
    Because of time. Im a doctor and I also own another business. I have a homegym so I can squeeze in workouts at 7am before I get to work.

Also, I dont get in fights all the time. I havent been in one since high school, which was MANY years ago. Like I said in my post, I want to learn something that will teach me to fight and defend myself. That does not mean to seek out fights.

Thanks for your input on MT, thats actually what Im leaning towards.

Style
    none- I'm water, I Crash,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn the big 3- boxing, wrestling (greco/freestyle/folk), and bjj. Once you learn these you'll be good.

Read some self defense stuff on awareness and preemptive striking.

Style
    Jerry-Bashing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Avoid trouble, don't get into fights, and do boxing.

Boxers also tend to have amazing cardio and low body fat, which should help with the aesthetics.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing or Judo are your best bets for learning effective unarmed self defense. After that, maybe Muay Thai is the best option you listed. BJJ is most effective as a secondary, rather than a primary martial art. I say this as a person who has practiced it for 10 years this August.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo covers all your bases.

Its effective for self defence, as a grappling art it builds strength (particularly grip) and generally more muscle than striking arts. if you have low bodyfat it will make you ripped.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering the fact you're going to lift and do cardio on off-days, my vote is also for judo.