Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've got two choices for martial arts now

I made a topic a couple of months ago about starting Judo but it didn't work out. I started a new job around that time and I work from 4AM to noon. Have to sleep at 6PM to get enough rest. This means I could only go to the Judo lessons on Monday nights since I don't work (have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off).

However 1 day a week isn't great and I'll always be tired for it. I'm very limited in choices for martial arts since I live in the suburbs and the good schools are all downtown.

I wanted to do a grappling art since I want to be a police officer but now my only option seems to be 1 day of Judo or there's a boxing school run by Otis Grant.
    http://www.grantbrothersboxing.com/home_boxing.html
    I figure it would be good instruction and I could probably go once or twice but the difference is that I could practice at home with a bag unlike grappling. I figure I'd get more out of it though it would perhaps be less useful than Judo. Thoughts?

Style
    Bjj & Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 Day of judo a week is better than no Judo at all.

Do your Judo and hit the bag at home.

Just my 0.0000002 cents

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if you can work out a schedule to do both boxing and judo, you would be "in the tall grass" as they like to say out west here. 1 night of Judo and 2 nights of boxing would make a nice, nice training schedule that many on here would envy.

The combination of boxing and Judo was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt and it is damn well good enough for you, too, unless you think you are better then Teddy......

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Style
    Student Jutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why can't you do Judo on Mondays and boxing twice a week on other days?

Think of it this way, if you become a cop and have to stop an idiot attacking you while there's a news crew watching, what'll look better? Sweeping the guy, taking his back and cuffing him? Or KOing him with a hook?

Boxing will be good for you, Judo will be better for your career prospects.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Style
    Judo super noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both Judo and Boxing should be good for your prospective career field. I want to be a cop as well and am taking Krav at the moment (while looking into Judo, and Wing Chun) 1 night of judo and 2 nights of boxing is pretty good IMO.

I myself tend to get 2 Krav classes a week and have been told I have progressed significantly in the past year and a half of training.

You are very lucky to have this opportunity.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    Both Judo and Boxing should be good for your prospective career field. I want to be a cop as well and am taking Krav at the moment (while looking into Judo, and Wing Chun).
    Why?

OP do both, dont be a *****.

Judo and boxing go together great. they both require and build a powerful core, they both require explosiveness and the strength you develop from judo will aid your all round power and resiliance in boxing.

more importantly, if you learn at least basic kick defence you should be able to handle yourself in most unarmed combat situations
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Judo super noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm stuck on Either Wing Chun or Shotokan. From my research, both teach close range fighting which is good for a short guy like myself. I already know of a good Wing Chun school in my area, so it has a slight advantage.

I would do Muay Thai, but Krav just takes Muay Thai for it's striking component

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I was stuck to one day a week I would do the boxing because it is easier to learn and quicker to get good at. The Idea that you can train at home has merit too.

otherwise do more days if you can when you can.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm stuck on Either Wing Chun or Shotokan. From my research, both teach close range fighting which is good for a short guy like myself. I already know of a good Wing Chun school in my area, so it has a slight advantage.

I would do Muay Thai, but Krav just takes Muay Thai for it's striking component
    so you're already studying dubious muay thai and yet you want to do wing chun or shotokan?

I think most people would agree with me in saying that is a rather retarded notion
    Last edited by MMAMickey; 5/20/2010 11:13am at .
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    would do Muay Thai, but Krav just takes Muay Thai for it's striking component
    From what I've seen of the Krav, it wants to have the striking component of MT and It doesn't so just train MT if you want to strike.

And OP, do both Judo and boxing and you'll be a mean machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last