Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Introduction

Style
    Hakkoryu, BJJ, Daitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introduction

Hello! First post, been reading this site for quite a while. I love the fraud/fake subforum, great work guys.

Anyway, back in middle school I took Tae Kwon Do for a couple years. School closed down and I didn't start training again until I got out of school and got married. I went to a school that taught Karate, Aiki-jujutsu (more accurately, brazilian jujutsu mixed with some Judo and Aikido), and Aikido for a year and a half and then moved to Japan, where I am now.

Now I am learning hakkoryu jujutsu, and am in the middle of switching over to a new job. One I know my schedule I plan on checking out this Judo school down the street from where I live.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome on board, newt.

Let us know how the judo school goes. Are you finding the ettiquete in the dojos in Japan alot different?

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Style
    Hakkoryu, BJJ, Daitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply, syberia. I'm really excited to check out the Judo school. They also offer Brazilian Jujutsu classes, but I'm not sure both would fit into my schedule, and I figure while I am in Japan I might as well focus on Japanese styles.

When I first came here and was getting settled I got to try out a lot of different schools as we moved around. As for etiquette, the schools I have attended have been very casual and friendly.

The only exception I guess was when I was taking one of the Daitoryu Aikijujutsu styles (which I had to drop due to my job schedule). The head of the style came to visit and he was kind of a jerk but you just had to grin and bear it.

Style
    Hakkoryu, BJJ, Daitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Checked out that Judo school today, I am gonna be joining up. Great school so far. I'm sure most judo places are the same, but the vast majority of class time is spent in randori. Nice change of pace from Japanese traditional jujutsu (of the three trad jujutsu schools I have been to, only one had any kind of sparring, and in that case after we had done it for a couple of months I think someone complained and they stopped it).

Class fees are pretty reasonable (in Japan anyway) at ~$50 a month for two classes per week, ~2.5 hours per class.

Anyway, everyone was really nice and the atmosphere was friendly but serious. Pretty similar to the places I had been going to in the US.

Style
    Hakkoryu, BJJ, Daitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it bad form to reply to my own intro thread? If so, I apologize!

I've been attending the Judo school for about two months now, really enjoying it and it is a hell of a workout. It's also opened my eyes regarding traditional Japanese jujutsu.

I still plan on attending the jujutsu class, but without any kind of sparring it definitely feels like something is missing. Compounding the problem is the fact that hierarchy is strong here and since I have seniority/rank over most of the other students I have noticed that there are times where I will screw up a technique and the other guy will basically throw himself for me.

So I figure I will keep pursuing trad jujutsu as a hobby primarily (I think there are some useful techniques worth training in the system even if there are some techniques that are frankly ridiculous), but will be focusing on Judo.

Meanwhile, I started my new job and my schedule works out so that I can attend one of the BJJ classes held at the Judo school. Went to check it out last night and really enjoyed it... much smaller class compared to the Judo classes which is a nice change of pace and allows me plenty of time to ask questions and get some detailed explanations. I really enjoy the flow of sparring and I found the scoring system really interesting.

So my schedule now is Tues night Jujutsu, Thurs night Judo, Fri night BJJ. I really wish I could go more often but I work Saturdays so I can't make the Judo class that day, and really need Sunday to rest as it is my only day off.
    Last edited by newtmonkey; 10/01/2010 8:53pm at .

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by newtmonkey View Post
    .....??

Hmmm how else are you going to answer questions? This is better than creating new threads keep us updated.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/01/2010 9:00pm at .

Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not if you're providing new information. Thanks for the update.

I've been attending the Judo school for about two months now, really enjoying it and it is a hell of a workout. It's also opened my eyes regarding traditional Japanese jujutsu.

So I figure I will keep pursuing trad jujutsu as a hobby primarily (I think there are some useful techniques worth training in the system even if there are some techniques that are frankly ridiculous), but will be focusing on Judo.
    I've read through your other posts, and I'm a little confused by "trad jujutsu." Is this Hakkoryu we're talking about? I'm pretty sure that's a Gendai Budo so "trad" is sort of a loose term.

If you're lucky enough to be doing koryu as a "trad jujutsu," then I say: stick with it. Koryu are treasures of history, and learning a koryu art for fighting really ought to be the last reason anyone studies a koryu now. It is a nice compliment to Judo and BJJ, and it's hard to find outside Japan. While some of the techniques may appear to be "ridiculous," at one time there was a good reason for them to be included, and practice and patience will eventually give you the answers. Which is not to say you'll ever use those specific techniques in randori, shiai, or on teh str33ts. But I think it will give deeper meaning to your practice of Judo and BJJ.

If your "trad jujutsu" is a Gendai Budo, you may eventually find yourself torn between your practice. Cross that bridge when it comes, but if you're enjoying the art don't give it up prematurely.

Welcome to Bullshido!

Style
    Hakkoryu, BJJ, Daitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    .....??

Hmmm how else are you going to answer questions? This is better than creating new threads keep us updated.
    Haha, good point. Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    I've read through your other posts, and I'm a little confused by "trad jujutsu." Is this Hakkoryu we're talking about? I'm pretty sure that's a Gendai Budo so "trad" is sort of a loose term.
    By "trad jujutsu" I guess I meant "not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu" haha. Sorry for the confusion, you are absolutely right that Hakkoryu is a modern style. I was also taking Daitoryu Aikijujutsu but I ended up switching jobs and with that my schedule made it impossible to keep going sadly. I actually didn't have any problems with the techniques we learned in Daitoryu, but some of the Hakkoryu techniques strike me as totally useless, and there is way too much focus on countering wrist grabs for my tastes.

I guess the thing I am sort of going through right now is that while I could appreciate Daitoryu as an aspect of culture/history, I can't do that with Hakkoryu, since it is modern. I mean, I am already studying two modern styles. So like you mentioned, I am torn on that now.

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really interesting to hear about the type of training you have been getting in Japan.

Style
    Hakkoryu, BJJ, Daitoryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am really struggling with Hakkoryu. After joining up with the Judo class I find myself really losing interest. I've been doing Hakkoryu since I came here, so about 2-2.5 years, and I'd hate to just throw that away, but I also don't want to throw away the ~$50 a month I am spending on it if I'm not enjoying it anymore (which is really the only reason to be doing something like Hakkoryu). I'm starting to detect an attitude from some of the people there (including the teacher), which I suspect is because I have to miss class (sometimes often) due to mandatory overtime at work, and while I realize that's a problem there's not much I can do. In my experience in this country people won't ask you to quit or whatever if you aren't welcome, they just ramp up the abuse/attitude until you can't take it and quit, and from seeing that happen to people I've worked with I'm starting to think that's what's going on with the Hakkoryu class.

Though I had some complaints about it, I really miss that Daitoryu class. While I felt we spent way too much of the class on sword practice and aiki practice (typically the first 60-90 minutes was devoted to this stuff, leaving the rest of the 30-60 minutes to do techniques), and while it was definitely Japanese jujutsu with a near total focus on kata, we did practice with the aim of throwing a resisting opponent. We even did a bit of Judo style randori at the end of the class (which I understand is rare in Japanese jujutsu).

Anyway, to end the post on a good note, I'm looking forward to the rest of my classes this week. I suck at Judo and it can be frustrating, but I am having fun learning. And assuming it's okay with the teacher (why wouldn't it be?) I should hopefully be officially joining the BJJ class on Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last