Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 11:02pm

Style: shorin ryu/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok so i had the kid tonight for his second trial lesson. We talked to his mom and she is aware of the bullying and has talked to the school about it. I glossed over the regular stuff and started drilling him on checking, block the hay maker and countering again....making sure his movement was always away from the power hand. I then showed his mom and her "friend " the drill so they could work it with him. I asked him to show me exactly what was happening to him and its basically punching and two handed shirt grab and throw. I addressed the lapel or shirt grip, showed him an easy way to break it that doesnt involve joint locks, let him do it to me for 10-15 minutes..strictly defensive technique. Friday night he gets 30 -45 minutes of the same plus sprawling thrown in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 12:26am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally think the best way schools could get rid of a large portion of bullying is by getting rid of middle school and switching back to elementary school (Grades 1-6)and high school (Grades 7-12)(at least that's the system many Wisconsin school districts had prior to the 70s and 80s.). Isolating kids aged 11-14 is just a plain bad idea. In Wisconsin middle schools typically go from 6th grade to 8th grade, and those are the worst years for adolescents. What's worse is by segregating the 13-14 year olds off from older students, they don't get knocked around themselves. It's too easy to get to the top of the totem pole for the little jerks.

If I ever have kids I'll do my damnedest to home school them up until high school and get them into a good high school. High school is really all that matters for college and for social rites of passage (at least here in Wisconsin. Athletics and clubs are mostly run outside the confines of the schools until high school, and dances/proms/homecoming/bullshit doesn't matter until high school.) Kids don't learn much in middle school anyhow, the classes are mostly watered down tripe. All they are really learning is how to be terrible human beings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 5:52am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another one of my random insights; This whole "zero tolerance" policy, especially if it counts fetal position as fighting, doesn't mean your kid should cower and not fight back. It means that when push comes to shove, both the shover and the shovee are getting punished so your kid might as well be the one doing the shoving.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 8:00am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK enough of this horseshit.

1. The child does need to learn to defend himself, but at 14 and more than likely being 100 lbs it will be tough. He is still a child and adults do need to protect him.

2. It is not bullying it is assault and battery plus harassment. If that child is getting hit repeatedly his parents need to call the police and have the other child arrested. **** the school and principal call the god dam cops.

Just because it is a child does not mean its not a crime. Some people are under the stupid ass impression that if it happens on a school campus it isn't subject to law. As a MA instructor you need to tell people that they need to get the proper authorities in on the situation or you could be held liable if the child goes off and gets revenge and says Mr Miyagi taught me to do this. The mother is a dumb ass for not getting on the school's ass for not protecting her child.

Too many times this type of bullshit leads to a death of either the bully killing the victim, the victim killing the bully, or the victim committing suicide. The bully and his parents need to know that there are repercussions to being a dick.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 8:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^Excellent advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 8:23am

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ironically, I have been reading a book about the subject of bullies. Called Mind Fist: The Asian Art Of Ninja Masters.

Yeah I know. The name sounds cheesy, but this book is actually not like you would expect. It's more like. Mind Fist:The Psychology of Bullies and Self Defense Tactics.

It talks a lot about bullies and why they act the way they do. The book goes over everything from trying to diffuse the situation before it turns violent, to a couple of martial arts moves. It might not be a bad idea to look into it.

IMO as an instructor and an adult, You should try to help this kid.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    OK enough of this horseshit.

1. The child does need to learn to defend himself, but at 14 and more than likely being 100 lbs it will be tough. He is still a child and adults do need to protect him.

2. It is not bullying it is assault and battery plus harassment. If that child is getting hit repeatedly his parents need to call the police and have the other child arrested. **** the school and principal call the god dam cops.

Just because it is a child does not mean its not a crime. Some people are under the stupid ass impression that if it happens on a school campus it isn't subject to law. As a MA instructor you need to tell people that they need to get the proper authorities in on the situation or you could be held liable if the child goes off and gets revenge and says Mr Miyagi taught me to do this. The mother is a dumb ass for not getting on the school's ass for not protecting her child.

Too many times this type of bullshit leads to a death of either the bully killing the victim, the victim killing the bully, or the victim committing suicide. The bully and his parents need to know that there are repercussions to being a dick.
    Agreed as long as the kid also learns to protect himself against the next one.

To your last point: I really don't think the primary existential danger is to the victim (unless there is a group assault). The danger is to society, as sustained bullying can push an otherwise normal kid into sociopathy.

@ OP are you implying the boy's mother is Lesbian? I'm not trying to be flip. If this is the case, please PM me as I have much experience with this situation.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 9:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i still say we need to find out more about the mom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 10:06am

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    i still say we need to find out more about the mom.
    Perhaps even the home situation

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 10:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, like is the mom married?
    or does she have a boyfriend?
    is she seeing anyone?
    maybe she's lonely?

thats like relevant cos it sorta rubs off on the kids insecurity and stuff.
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast