Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need some "I heart Bruce" tags.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 4:23am

Style: fangfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bad you are right about Kato being around before Bruce. Bruce did have a Judo instructor with the last name Kato. To say Bruce studied Judo or grappling only to know how to defend it is wrong. My first martial arts teacher is Taky Kimura, Bruce's best friend and highest ranking student. Taky was a Judoka before studying with Bruce. Also Jesse Glover was a high level Judoka. Both Taky and Jesse were part of Bruces inner circle and said that Bruce loved grappling and would learn what he could from Jesse and Taky. I even once asked Taky if he thinks Bruce would study BJJ. He told me absolutely and if Bruce knew about the Gracies he probably would have gone to Brazil to learn.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 5:51am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdeez View Post
    My bad you are right about Kato being around before Bruce. Bruce did have a Judo instructor with the last name Kato. To say Bruce studied Judo or grappling only to know how to defend it is wrong. My first martial arts teacher is Taky Kimura, Bruce's best friend and highest ranking student. Taky was a Judoka before studying with Bruce. Also Jesse Glover was a high level Judoka. Both Taky and Jesse were part of Bruces inner circle and said that Bruce loved grappling and would learn what he could from Jesse and Taky. I even once asked Taky if he thinks Bruce would study BJJ. He told me absolutely and if Bruce knew about the Gracies he probably would have gone to Brazil to learn.
    Perhaps.... but I am kinda close with Gene LeBell and Wally Jay, so I am aware of what his grappling teachers have to say about Bruce's motives for learning....

your more.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 11:01am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    - Bruce the plagiarizing hack-philosopher
    Considering I'm the one with the Philosophy degree & the Zen doohickey certifications...

I LOL in your face.

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 1:34pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That scene is awesome. I honestly don't care about the debate. All I know is that I was entertained by a short 3 second clip of two MA legends doing a ridiculous reversal. Fucking love it.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 1:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would've been better if Gene cartwheeled out of the tomoe nage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Withn my first couple months of studying with Taky Kimura I was taught 2 Judo throws, 2 take downs, RNC, Kimura, and a take down defense. These were all a part of the original Jun Fan Gung Fu curriculum, thats before Bruce even met Gene Lebell or Wally Jay. I have a book that interviews Bruce's Judo teacher and it also mentions that Bruce would practice Judo almost daily in Seattle. Many of Bruce's early self defense sequences involved finishing the opponent off with a submission when he is on the ground so to say he only learned it to defend it is quite an understatement. Besides even if that was his intention, at least he had the brains to do so, unlike the majority of closed-minded martial artist of his time. Thats why he is the godfather of mma.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 3:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh... ok. Name Bruce Lee's Judo teacher please?

Daily Judo practice in Seattle? Where and with whom please?

The name of this "book" please?

Finish with a submission? We have "Bruce Lee's Fighting method" in print, lots of pics, where are the submissions?

Sorry, I have personally spoken to Wally Jay and the grappling submission thing has been added to keep with the times. It was NOT a major part of JKD as taught by Bruce.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 4:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The book is called Regards From The Dragon. The book interviews his Judo teacher who's last name is Kato. The book also covers Bruce's fascination with Judo and how he practiced it a lot while in Seattle. It even has pictures of him in his Gi. Like I said earlier he practiced with his students Taky Kimura and Jesse Glover, both were Judoka.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can ask Wally Jay all you want. I have seen the original curriculum for Seattle written in Bruce Lee's hand writing. **** man I was a student at Bruce Lee's first school and was taught the same submission moves he taught back in the 60's. I guess its up to you to choose who you want to believe but I know it is true because I have seen the notes Bruce gave to Taky about what to teach. Go to a book store and look through the book, its all there.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast