Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 11:22am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    He had a bit of a kink for leading with the power hand, like a fencer.

I swear I read that he was coming around to the idea of using a more orthodox boxing stance, but I can't for the life of me remember where.
    Pick up the book "The Straight Lead" by Teri Thom. She goes into a ton of detail on Bruce's boxing research.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/22/2010 7:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Pick up the book "The Straight Lead" by Teri Thom. She goes into a ton of detail on Bruce's boxing research.
    I perused that book at Borders awhile back. Sat down with a few books & never looked at the rest of them, it's really good. I'd always wondered how people would use his strong lead hand style & make it their own, against tradition and convention.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 12:46am

Style: fangfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce and Grappling

When Bruce Lee moved to Seattle he officially took Judo for three months. He named his Green Hornet character after his Judo instructor's last name Kato. Bruce's 2 closest friends and students in Seattle were Judoka and they taught Bruce a lot. When Bruce got to L.A. he studied Jiujitsu from Wally Jay as well as Judo and wrestling with the great Gene Lebell. Bruce loved grappling.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 12:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdeez View Post
    When Bruce Lee moved to Seattle he officially took Judo for three months. He named his Green Hornet character after his Judo instructor's last name Kato. Bruce's 2 closest friends and students in Seattle were Judoka and they taught Bruce a lot. When Bruce got to L.A. he studied Jiujitsu from Wally Jay as well as Judo and wrestling with the great Gene Lebell. Bruce loved grappling.
    I heard a story about Bruce & Gene, something on a movie set where Bruce made some claims, Gene called him on it (or something to that effect, funny how that seemed to happen often back in the day...)
    Anyways things ended up with Gene immobilizing Bruce up in some kind of inverted fireman's carry or something, Bruce yelling that he was gonna kill Gene & to put him down. Gene says "I can't put you down, I don't want you to kill me!"
    Bruce finally settled down, Gene put him down, & they were friends.
    I'm glad things didn't end up with Bruce like they did with Seagal. I doubt Bruce would have been able to live down getting choked out and shitting his pants....
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMAMickey

Okay its a fact that when Bruce arrived in the U.S. he was already making changes to his Wing Chun. At the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute, the school he opened, he taught modified Wing Chun which incorporated more of a boxing stance. Basic boxing was also taught. After his first real fight, he had seriously reconsidered Wing Chun. By the time he got to L.A. he had abandoned W.C. and focused more on JKD.

Seriously there are 2 Bruces, Bruce the movie star and Bruce the martial artist. Read his books and listen to interviews from people who trained with him. The strong hand lead is something Jack Dempsey and Bobby Discroll used, thats why they knocked mother fuckers out with what boxing considers a jab. MMAMickey I hope you realize every single pro boxer out there fights differently and none of them look at all the same. To say Bruce was a chunner just makes you look misinformed as Bruce probably knew more about boxing then other martial artist of his time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 1:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Jim Jude. Yeah I love that story. Hey no shame in getting punked by the toughest man alive. Yeah Bruce and Gene were really good friends. Guys like Chuck Norriss, Joe Lewis, and Gene Lebell, were a part of the evolution of JKD. I read somewhere that Bruce, Chuck. and Joe had a joke bet about who could develop the largest heavy bag and actually do some damage to it.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 2:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously there are 3 Bruces, the movie star Bruce, the bodybuilder Bruce, and the plagiarizing martial philosopher Bruce.

These threads bring out the worst in me.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 3:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but actually, there were FIVE Bruces.
    - Bruce the actor
    - Bruce the plagiarizing hack-philosopher
    - Bruce the martial master dabbler
    - Bruce the vain exercise fanatic
    - and Bruce the dish washah!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 3:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hesperus

Behind every successful person is a group of haters
    Last edited by jkdeez; 5/24/2010 4:03am at . Reason: OKay I guess you are right

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdeez View Post
    TOTAL Bull ****......

You do know the Green Hornet was around LONG before Bruce, on this thing called RADIO? The name Kato was set before Bruce was even born.

Yes, he trained with Wally Jay.

In later years Gene has softened the story. However the truth is Bruce was kicking the stunt people way too hard and Gene called him on it. Words were exchanged then it was a fight. Gene took him down, arm locked him and that was that. You might notice that almost every Bruce Lee movie shows an arm lock on the ground and a person escaping by biting... something Bruce was unable to do.

Yes, he trained with Gene for a bit after that. His ONLY interest in grappling was how to defend against it.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast