Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 5:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    Just for shits and giggles, why would you discount Barton-Wright?
    Sacred Cows and such....

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdeez View Post
    Now Draeger was ripped but do you know what types of exercises he did?
    Donn Draeger did all of the calisthenic exercises that were typical to the Marine Corps and the Kodokan at the time, in addition to introducing his weight lifting regimen to folks training at the Kodokan. According to witnesses, he handled most anyone at the Kodokan, even the vast majority of the senior Japanese judoka.

You can see his physique, and his workout, in Judo Training Methods. Weight Lifting, calisthenics, and band work. FUCKING BAND WORK! Don't call it a comeback!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 2:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kotbegemot View Post
    jkdeez,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that you consider Bruce Lee the Godfather of MMA even though he did not participate in an MMA fight. I would like to point out that Kimura, even if you consider him a Judoka only, at least did actually participate in at least one MMA fight.

Iconic and well known as Bruce Lee may be, to consider him the Godfather of MMA when he didn't participate in an MMA bout to me is like considering someone who never cut a hit record, or for that matter, never even cut a record at all, as the godfather of soul.

If Bruce Lee's popularity and iconic status led to a widespread interest in MMA, justifying your belief in his status as the Godfather of MMA, then why did this widespread interest only manifest itself some 20 years after his death?

I find it difficult to believe he somehow inseminated popular culture with this latent interest in mixed martial arts that was only awakened 20 years later (after the first few UFCs)
    You hit the nail right on the head there. It's Art Davie and Rorian Gracie who are the godfathers of modern MMA.

Do you know what Lee is the Godfather of??? McDojos whether he wanted that to be his legacy or not.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 6:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's talking about a second hole.

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 7:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edit: not worth the cheap Bruce Lee lols in a semi (lol @ say your logic to my face) logical debate.

I will say this, although lots of martial artists crosstrained before Bruce Lee and tried to train "scientifically", I do think he made the idea of doing so more popular. Face it, in the last 30 years more people have read and read about Bruce Lee than any other MAist. Only people who are inclined to read know about Draeger, but most people into MA know something about Bruce Lee and even a lot of people who aren't into MA at all.

I think some people just get annoyed at Bruce Lee fans and don't want to credit him as a result, much in the same way people got annoyed at vapid fans of The Matrix, who thought it was an incredibly deep movie because they'd never seriously considered the concept of reality being an illusion, which is pretty normal to think about for anyone who has read an occasional book during their life. That doesn't take away from the fact that it had a pretty decent plot compared to most action sci-fi films.
    Last edited by maofas; 6/10/2010 7:57am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 9:50am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgo View Post
    Do you know what Lee is the Godfather of??? McDojos whether he wanted that to be his legacy or not.
    1) He's a Cantonese Lee, not a Korean Lee.

2) Considering for most of his career he taught through private lessons and small groups, no.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 9:51am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    (lol @ say your logic to my face)
    I need to get that tattooed or something.:BangHead:

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdeez View Post
    Bruce Lee named his Green Hornet character after his Judo instructor's last name Kato.
    Kato premiered on the radio program in 1936!

Jun Fan Gung Fu is my main focus so don't think I am a Lee hater but that just isn't true.

edit...nevermind, I see you corrected this already.
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 6/10/2010 10:48am at .
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 10:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgo View Post
    You hit the nail right on the head there. It's Art Davie and Rorian Gracie who are the godfathers of modern MMA.

This is so true. What Bruce Lee did grow the popularity of MA and was an ambassador of MA. He felt that all fighting forms had value....

of course like most good things...people find a way to capitalize and turn it into a profit...thus the marketing pitch..."hey...you wanna be able to fight like bruce lee...get to a mcdojo SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!"

Just like all of the folks running to law school to be lawyers within one year of LA Law hitting the air waves or Navy enlistment going up after top gone...the sheep can not help themeselves.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    I think some people just get annoyed at Bruce Lee fans and don't want to credit him as a result
    I'll admit I'm somewhat guilty of this, I just don't like the continual shifting of goalposts.

He was popular, that's fine. But liking a movie star doesn't make you a martial arts expert, and refusing to acknowledge, or even dismissing outright, the contributions of others in favour of said movie star really gets my fucking goat.

Seriously, he was a fucking actor. Since childhood. That's what he did.

I enjoy the fact that he showed us that fight coordination didn't have to be that ridiculous wire-fu garbage, and I think the Hong Kong movie scene would've been a lot different (better) had he lived. But there's no need to constantly suck his dead cock over it.