Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:07pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent.

Any more thoughts on Kimura, Bluming, Draeger, Barton Wright, the Emperados, or the Vale Tudo fighters as being challengers to Bruce's throne as the Godfather of MMA?

kb

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being that he didn't compete, I'd say that Bruce was not the godfather of MMA, since there were many others who combined martial arts together before him. For example, Chan Heung combined Northern and Southern kung fu styles together to create choy li fut in 1836

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:17pm

Style: fangfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wow i has skill

"Wally Jay is one of the most knowledgeable judo/jujitsu people you would ever meet. But it requires actual skill to know that."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 19.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	11244  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kotbegemot View Post
    Excellent.

Any more thoughts on Kimura, Bluming, Draeger, Barton Wright, the Emperados, or the Vale Tudo fighters as being challengers to Bruce's throne as the Godfather of MMA?

kb
    Well as great as Kimura was, in fact he is on my top 3 list of greatest martial artist of all time, I still consider him a Judoka. Id say no to Draeger and Barton and yes to the Emperados, Bluming, and vale tudo fighters. The only reason I choose Bruce is because of his popularity and iconic status. The more popular you are the more people you get the message out to. Its not what you know its what you do with it.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like fight?

Oops.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey MTripp if you can get Leon to teach you to to Hadoukens I will never argue with you again.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:33pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Here is another term from Judo for you, Ippon. Thank you for playing the game, we have lovely parting gifts.
    You have yet to produce evidence indicating that Kato-sensei did not teach Bruce.

You have been provided pictures that you stated didn't exist.

You have been proven completely wrong about Judo being taught in American concentration camps.

JKDeez, you also have shown a massive inability to articulate yourself accurately and logically.

Not to worry, most of the other posters on this thread suffer from the same problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah Bruce never fought but we are not arguing about who was the greatest fighter. Im saying Bruce because he stressed cross training in ways similar to modern mma guys now. Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Jiujitsu, Wrestling! Id say for hand striking boxing is the best . Kicking, Bruce was very good at that, grappling, he was really just getting started. But the fact that he didnt fight is a slight against him thats why Im saying its just my biased opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh No Auslander is turning on me

I respectfully bow out before I end up in the same grave as Tripp. Seriously though Tripp whats up with the chi balls man? Why dont you get Leon to come over and he can throw hadoukens at your dragon?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 1:43pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdeez View Post
    You are right. Bruce being the godfather of MMA is really just my opinion. I am not referring to cross training martial arts. I am talking about the sport of modern MMA and how I feel what Bruce was doing at the time closely resembles it. Mostly referring to how most mma is boxing, muay thai, and BJJ or wrestling, combined with state of the art sports science, conditioning, diet, and supplements.
    Once again, these ideas greatly pre-date Bruce. The ancient Greeks were working on such ideals 700 years before Christ-- boxing, wrestling, pankration, and a whole host of exercise and diet regimens.

But, even if we stick to the modern period, we can trace these links back to other gentlemen from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Physical Culture was a burgeoning business at the time. Barton-Wright has already been mentioned; I'll also nominate his contemporary, Percy Longhurst. Additionally, over here in the US, one of my favorite obscure instructors, Earle Liederman, was advocating cross-training in Boxing, Wrestling, and Jiu-Jitsu. His book, The Science of Wrestling and the Art of Jiu-Jitsu, expounds upon grappling, diet, and exercise in greater detail than his contemporaries of the time had offered.

Heck, Gene LeBell had trained in boxing, judo, wrestling, and karate while Bruce was still working on his Cha-Cha.

Bruce stressed the 4 ranges of fighting. Was really into boxing, studied kicking from numerous styles including savate and muay thai, and was studying judo and wrestling. He was also researching the newest workouts and was into supplements. Not to mention he knew the value of sparring with protection and without and the value of cardio. Not to mention he was surrounding himself with really high level fighters like Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, Hayward Nishioka, and Gene LeBell, thats one hell of an mma camp.
    Funny you should mention Joe Lewis, seeing as how Joe has gone on record as saying Bruce's kicking sucked until he started training with Lewis, Norris, and Wall. In fact, Joe has also said that Bruce was only starting to utilize Thai style kicking just before he passed away, and that Bruce never sparred and certainly never competed. Combine that with your own sources, who say that Bruce was only starting to get into grappling just before his death, and the Godfather of MMA bit flies out the window.

Even the Gracies were too stubborn to learn outside of their own art and where are they now in terms of mma? Royce was great in the early UFC's but the only one I saw do well after that was Renzo and he was one of the few Gracies who cross trained.
    The Gracies spent decades as the biggest names in Brazilian vale tudo prior to the modern period of MMA. Rickson is 12-0 in MMA. Ralek, Roger, and Rolles are all up-and-coming fighters of the new generation.

Bruce was not a better martial artist than the others mentioned to have come before him. He certainly was not a better fighter. However, he was much, much better at marketing himself. He combined just the right amounts of Eastern mysticism and philosophy with Western showmanship and braggadocio. He became a superstar entertainer and inspired millions to learn about Martial Arts. That is his real legacy: Bruce Lee was the greatest advertisement that the MA's have yet known.