• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 3:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although the bit about animal technique makes me wonder what is meant by "human" vs. "animal". If "human" means "effective for humans" I can agree with that.

In any event, I'm disappointed a magazine dedicated to martial arts would edit down something already so lean and measured. Yet I wonder what Lewis would have to say had he the chance to explain the caveats of martial sport. Judo comes to mind; cutting as deeply as has been done into what is permissible in competition seems to indicate a skewed focus in the direction of sport. How far can one go in that direction before all that remains is sport?

Posted On:
    5/24/2010 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    He meant that you can't claim to be better than professional fighters without actually fighting them, not that everyone who trains should be sparring professionals.

You're shitting up Joes article and still trying to claim the unrealistic gap between "streetfighting" and "sport" fighting. Thats exactly his point is that if you don't train it in a sparring situation you'll never be able to use it when you need to.
    A guy named Dennis Mad dog Downey comes to mind, he did serious time for beating the **** out of people in the street, He terrorized inmates and guards in Rahway prison, was an ok kick boxer, and got knocked out in his first pro boxing match. He even took on 4 police officers and beet them to the ground before they could even draw their guns. Shitty fighter in the ring, and deadly opponent in the streets. There are always exceptions to the rule, but fighting is an individual thing. Some are good at one or another and few are good at both. There are even untrained guys who can woop ass in the street against even a pro! But I will agree sparring and realistic fighting are key at least for me they are.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 4:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saldathief View Post
    A guy named Dennis Mad dog Downey comes to mind, he did serious time for beating the **** out of people in the street, He terrorized inmates and guards in Rahway prison, was an ok kick boxer, and got knocked out in his first pro boxing match. He even took on 4 police officers and beet them to the ground before they could even draw their guns. Shitty fighter in the ring, and deadly opponent in the streets. There are always exceptions to the rule, but fighting is an individual thing. Some are good at one or another and few are good at both. There are even untrained guys who can woop ass in the street against even a pro! But I will agree sparring and realistic fighting are key at least for me they are.
    you are a fucking idiot.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 2:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

mm

Listen son, when you grow up let us all know we'll be waiting lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 3:02pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooooooooooo damn, that's harsh, you told him to grow up! Are you gonna take that? Let the internet battle royale begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You missed the whole point of the article. Anyone can sit here and talk about exceptions to the rule. That is not what this article is about.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    5/25/2010 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen son, when you grow up let us all know we'll be waiting lol
    whereas we're all still waiting for you to realise that you've left the bold button on
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "There are even untrained guys who can woop ass in the street against even a pro!"

Who the **** is Saldathief? And why won't he go away?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I googled Saldathief and he's a wing chunner. Figures.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 3:03pm

Style: mental illness recovery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

well...

Please don't underestimate the importance of street fighting. Me I never could hack a 'ring' fight. At least I have been barred from more then one mas club. But so what if the last 'street' fight i got in was in hospital, and against a bird? Ok we're never supposed to hit women right? Well this one gave me a black eye from out of the blue a years earlier, and do you really think that I was gonna let her pull the same trick again? HAHA. Yeah right, so I grabbed her, dropped her, half mounted her, hit her, twisted her ear and it took about five nurses to drag me off her. And No I wasn't charged, in the end. So is street fighting good, nah, but it does the trick in the end, sometimes, if needed thats all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast