Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 8:44pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vitor's an asshole:

An interesting article from Marcelo Alonso who writes for Tatame, this was an interview he did in a recent article. Full props to our friends at Tatame.

by Marcelo Alonso / Team Tatame

Belfort:"He was the lucky one!"

After conquering the UFC belt on last January 31st, Vitor Belfort conceded us a moving interview about the many things that he has been through; such as, the UFC title and his sister missing. About the comments he has won the title with a lucky move, Belfort replies: He was the lucky one. If he was hit by that punch, he certainly would fell." Read now the interview that Belfort conceded to Team TATAME. The full interview you may find at TATAME magazine in Portuguese available now at TATAMEShop.

After your sister missing, you had all the reason to not fighting... Where did you got will to step inside the octagon at UFC 46?

Even with everything that has happening to me, I have been trying to keep focus on the fight and canalizing my will on the lightweight title. Everything my sister always wanted was to see me on the Top one more time. She always dreamed about see me winning that revenge against Couture and getting the UFC belt.

That fight was they way I've found to give two presents for her at the same time. Days goes by and its so hard for me. Some times I keep myself crying and reminding of her. Wherever she is now, I still believe she is alive and I dedicate this victory for her.

Tell me about the controversial punch?

I trained very hard this move and it was exactly what I did. He threw a jab on me and I blocked. He kicked me and threw a direct this time and I escaped. That was the time I threw another direct over his. I felt like I got successful when he cliched and pulled me against the octagon. My corner screamed to let myself out and kick his ass. I was ready to throw a hook, but I honestly didn't feel good doing that. I felt remorse and I like Randy so much. He is a terrific human being. I thank God the referee stopped the fight at that moment.

Some people say you were lucky to win that belt...

I bet they say that because everybody, and I include myself, was expecting a long and hard fight. Well, every action sport has things like that. In fact, my Boxing technician told me the right thing: "Randy was the luck one If he was hit by that punch, he certainly would fell."

Is it true that at the time the fight was interrupted you said to Randy that you didn't deserve that victory?

Yeah, its true. I got upset because I couldn't show everything I have been training. I really wanted to show all my game and win under other circumstances. He answered: "no way out! You do deserve it. You have been training hard for it and even under all the troubles you have been going through, you fought at the octagon and won. You deserve that belt."

Some say you should have your revenge against Couture and others say you might face the winner of Ortiz Vs Liddel. So, who are you gonna fight with?

I really wanted a shot to unify Pride and UFC's belts. It was what Randy had in mind. I think its great that the biggest MMA shows in the world have a good relationship, as happen with Boxing. This unify would be a great deal for the sport and I would like to be a part of it. Well, we never know what the promoters have in mind.

How important was your wife Joana Prado at this conquer?

Joana is an awesome woman. She supports me a lot and she was damn important for this belt. Our marriage made me stronger. We are very close to each other... She and my family have been amazing with me during this hard time.

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW AT TATAME MAGAZINE (FEB#96) AVAILABLE AT TATAMESHOP

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read in a few places that apparently his UFC contract has finished.
    (he was guaranteed a title shot in the contract, hence the fact they had to give him one for the last fight as they hadn't yet)

Supposedly, he is talking about not fighting Randy a 3rd time as a means of contract negotiation.

That could all be bullshit but it makes more sense than him going from demanding it be a 'no contest' and not wanting the belt, to stating he won and he deserves it.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 9:43pm

Style: Wrestling, WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I don't get it? He sounded polite in this interview. Why does this make him an asshole?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 9:51pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by thebgbb
    So I don't get it? He sounded polite in this interview. Why does this make him an asshole?
    He's not an asshole, I just wanted a contreversial title so people would read.

Posted On:
    2/19/2004 9:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe he should work on his timing then...... :rolleyes:
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2004 1:31am

Style: Vaghi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I felt like I got successful when he cliched and pulled me against the octagon.

I think he might be the only fighter alive to consider himself to be "successful" when Randy got him in the clinch. I see most of this as a)A way to pump the rematch since both of these guys are first class, there isn't a good bad boy angle or b) Vitor wants more money or to fight somewhere else.