Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to mma: judo for grappling?

Hello everyone. First time poster on a forum ever so sorry if I do something stupid. I've been lurking for a while now but since I am about to start training mma in two days I thought I might introduce myself since I have a question about grappling training.

I've been doing various martial arts since high school. After I started reading bullshido I realized that aikido, taekwondo, and tai chi may not have exactly been the most efficient use of my time. Thus, I decided I wanted to try some more alive training.

Right now I am in Taiwan for the summer and have found a local mma gym that has some sanda, muay thai and mma classes that I will try out. Unfortunately, it appears that there is no grappling class offered at that gym aside from hapkido.

There is another mma gym in Taiwan that has BJJ taught by a black belt. Unfortunately for me, the instruction appears to be in English and since I'm technically here to study Chinese I'm trying to limit my English use to the web. Fortunately for me, there just so happens to be a Judo club at the university where I am studying.

So my question is this: If i were to get my grappling from Judo, can I learn enough in 3 months to get something substantial from it for mma or would my time be better spent focusing on striking?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Judo blackbelt I'm going to say no. Stick with the San Da.

Style
    Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ
    Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No 3 months of Judo will do little to nothing to help you.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Style
    ^_^
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three months of anything will not get you prepared for MMA. Anyone who's good in MMA has a substantial background in a single range sport.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is good tai chi in taiwan. Just make sure they do this fairly often
    YouTube- push hand 80kg-up! 勁!!! 重量級推手,引進落空!

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    As a Judo blackbelt I'm going to say no. Stick with the San Da.
    agreed. as a judo brown belt and sanda coach, i agree with omega. stick with sanda for now and join a proper grappling gym when you are more settled.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As all the experts say no, I won't argue. But it might help you learn the language and make some friends (and give you at least some throwing/breakfall experiences).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    As all the experts say no, I won't argue. But it might help you learn the language and make some friends (and give you at least some throwing/breakfall experiences).
    well, if the sanda class is any good, he should get some throwing and breakfall experience there too. it won't be judo, but it's a start.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is hapkido grappling? I'm not sure. All I ever saw on it was that one episode of Fight Quest. But if it's included in the gym fee it might not be a bad idea to try it out once or twice.

Other than that, +1 to expert opinions stated above

Style
    Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ
    Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no its not grappling
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last