Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 3:21pm

Style: Muay Thai/JJJ Hybrid/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    So, ummm, what's your cousin's name? People get black belts all the time who don't deserve them, but 5th dans in Shotokan don't grow on trees. It would be odd if he didn't own his own school with that rank and were under 40 years-old.

Also, there isn't much deadly in Shotokan (the entire style is centered around right straight to the point of monotony) and while you may find some gimp schools using shitty training methods it's unlikely you will ever hear "Oh I don't need to test vs. a resisting opponent". Shotokan is a do, not a jutsu.

I'm not offended, but I'm going to have to go with "Cool story bro!" for now. That being said, there is a strong chance I'll be venting my spleen telling a real shitty Shotokan story in about 14 days.
    Well I mean, he's still my cousin, and I don't want to throw him under the bus and have him wind up in one of you're guy's investigations.

He did own his own school, but I believe he inherited his school that he trained at since he was a child. His master I believe gave him the opportunity to buy it and it has since closed down. He had been training since he was 6 and he's in his mid 30's now. Regardless about how I feel about his d34dly, I still think he earned his title.

But yea dude you sound just like my cousin. How you're style is straight forward, and what not. Point is, its fully of t3h d34dly. But yea its fine, I'm sorry if I offend. I don't mean to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 3:41pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
    There are still flat earthers. Trust me, teh stoopid is alive and well.
    Oh believe me I know.

I caught the tail end of a conversation between two 20-something gas station clerks last week that consisted of one guy saying to the other;

"I don't need that jiu-jitsu crap. If I get in to a fight and he comes at me I will just knee him in the face when he shoots in and jump-spin-roundhouse kick him and knock him unconscious"

The other guy was just standing there like a mouth-breather taking it all in.

I had a really hard time leaving, but as I was pressed for time I had to.

I have this strange urge to return there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 4:13pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^If you were pressed for time, you should have just shot the leg on the spot, then got up, yelled "IPPON!" (pronounced EYE-Pon), and strutted away like a badass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 4:44pm

Style: Aiki Jujitsu, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    Oh believe me I know.

I caught the tail end of a conversation between two 20-something gas station clerks last week that consisted of one guy saying to the other;

"I don't need that jiu-jitsu crap. If I get in to a fight and he comes at me I will just knee him in the face when he shoots in and jump-spin-roundhouse kick him and knock him unconscious"

The other guy was just standing there like a mouth-breather taking it all in.

I had a really hard time leaving, but as I was pressed for time I had to.

I have this strange urge to return there.
    Yeah but who hasn't made a scenario in their head where they knocked someone out with a spin kick?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    There's more than in something like MT, but the system isn't built around eye-gouging or ball-kicking was my point. (And every annoying person who does TMA thinks their system has everything!)
    I was a Shotokan BB before I went to Kyokushin. It might not be built around it but it still it has it. Ippon and Nihon nukite have always been taught as attacks to the eyes. Then you have Kin Geri (lit Golden Kick) a Mae Geri keage to the groin.

I question whether that's not something recent & reactionary to the rise of MMA. It used to be okay to just be good at something, but now everyone wants to be well-rounded. Meh.

Elmar Schmeisser talks a lot about hidden grappling in kata, but he also states post-shodan everyone should study a grappling art in order to understand it. As much as I think he's kata-crazy, he doesn't advocate learning how to grapple by doing kata.
    Elmar recommends that NOW but not when I first talked to him many moons ago he was very big on the hidden grappling in kata. He was the one who said there was neck breaks in the Tekki series after all. However he has changed over the years and yes he does advocates his yudansha to go and train other arts, but he still recommends Aikido so MEH.

Please explain, because even though do has more hippie connotations, I've always thought jutsu tend to focus on 2-man kata while do tend to have elements of sport play (i.e. JJJ vs. Judo, Kenjutsu vs. Kendo), Aikido being the glaring exception.
    Judo and Kendo are the only ones that really had the sport play from the start. Karate-do didn't. Iaido, Aikido, Kyudo never adopted it. In DO arts main focus was the "perfection of character" and fighting was a far distant second. Shotokan didn't have a sportive aspect until Judo became widely popular and Nakayama wanted to get in on that to.

Many hold to the idea in Shotokan and Shotokai that kata is the best or self defense training. Practising kata more than kumite will make you a better fighter. This was a common theme when I was in the JKA and other Shotokan orgs. I moved to Kyokushin because even though we still did kata we focused way more on actual application and sparring. Mind you for what kata was intended to be, merely drills, but its outdated and more better methods of training are available. Another thing I hated about the JKA was the bickering on who had "da r34l" kata. Some people spent more time trying to "collect" different versions of the same kata instead figuring out why they keep getting smacked around in sparring.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 9:45pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I used to yell all sorts of crazy **** because I knew most pple didn't understand me and the ones that did found it funny. Part of the reason was because some pple didn't want to believe I spoke Japanese. I got into it with one hick because he didn't want to take my word that he was pronouncing IPPON wrong. He was saying EYEPON and I tried at first to nicely correct him but since he had more stripey things on his belt than mine I must have been wrong. I also believe it was also because I'm black.
    Out of all the foreigners I know here in Japan almost every black person I have speaks decent Japanese while the white guys seem to get by on pure whiteness.

I'm sure you've had people fail to understand you in Japanese just because they didn't expect it to come out of your mouth too. That seems like a daily thing for me. Either that or people who answer me in bad English when I just asked the question in Japanese.

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 11:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of years back I found myself browsing the martial arts section at a local used bookstore. Standing next to me was a short chubby guy (twenty-ish, I think) flipping through a Hapkido manual. Without warning, he turns to me and exclaims "Hapkido has everything! It's got the punches of Karate, the kicks of Taekwondo, and the throws of Aikido. It's the perfect art!"

I smiled and nodded politely, then sauntered off. I left the bookstore shortly thereafter.

To this day, I still regret not grabbing the lad by his doughy shoulders and shaking vigorously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 1:13am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been a few people with those kinda BS ideas about fighting, who have actually come to my gym to check it out. 2 of them I unfortunately "know" through friends.

The first guy. A total **** stump. He is one of the most arrogant, self-centered people I have ever met. Anyways, he is always going on about ninja this and that. I mean, the guy hasn't done any real training anywhere and doesn't do any exercise but thinks he's hardcore. So he rocks up the one day to open mat. He asks me to show him some basics ( our coaches weren't there that day ). So I thought, lemme just show him really really basic stuff that I actually understand properly. Simple full guard, side control, mount.
    So, whenever I try to show him a movement step by step he starts going buckshit crazy trying to make what I do fail. I suddenly realised he isn't here to learn from me, he's just here to see my **** fail. Fortunately I do train, and with training partners like I've got, it was a joke. I was all over his ****, he wasn't learning a thing, and he was injuring himself from straining so much under my mount ( something I repeatedly told him not to do ). I wanted to get him in with a purple belt or higher ( cause I'm sick ), but he came to one proper class that monday, gassed out so hard about 10 minutes into the workout that he had to go lie down. Never saw him again.

The other guy, also a total mermaid purse. He just showed up the one night to class proper. Hadn't seen the fucker in years, but the sight of him in my sanctuary of pain was a very confusion combination of emotions. At first, I was sad that he was here, then I realised, I'm going to get to spar him ! After all these years I have a legal excuse to beat on his face.
    Now a little background. This guy is friends with someone who actually trained mma ( also a total **** ). Anyways, after getting a few backyard "private" sessions with that friend he considers himself somewhat of an expert already. Even though he essentially got a couple random lessons from someone with just a couple years experience. Anyways.
    I **** you not, 5 minutes into the exercises he looks like he is going to die. I mean our main fitness coach was not even there that night so for us it was taking it easy. He goes and sits on the side. **** ! Now I will never get to beat his head in.
    But there was hope as he joined the class again after the exercise was over. We were paired up for full mma sparring ! Oh wait, did I mention he just came to the advanced class ( where one of the main criteria for being allowed to attend is that you can take a proper punch and deal one out ). I asked him has he sparred properly before, and of course he had all those hardcore garden jams. I recommend, based on his fitness level, that he go to the beginners class to get his fitness, toughness, and technique up to the level that he would be able to cope in this class. He won't hear any of it. He wants to spar. Fine. I tell him I want to spar him.
    I open up with a few probing jabs just to see what he does and doesn't know. He immediately starts swinging for the fences with no technique at all. I feel how hard he is hitting on my shielding arm and it pisses me off. I start unwinding with body punches, but as they start to land, he decides he's gassed out again and has to sit it out. So I have no partner now and I didn't get to kick his ass.
    We do a partner switch and I forget about him as I now have real opponents in front of me. Suddenly I hear this loud smack. Everyone stops for a second to see what happened. My dear friend that I started training with ( who didn't even know that I knew this guy, just thought he was some random guy or someone from another school ), was kicking him a new stomach and a new set of legs. The sound we had heard was shin against belly. I spoke to my buddy afterwards and he said "That guy, I just want to have a nice spar, so I throw some light strikes to test the water and he just comes at me trying to kill me, so I got pissed off and kicked the **** out of him". Now I have to explain that my friend is a very friendly, humble guy and it's very rare for him to decide to deal out the punishment on someone. I tell him he's a good friend.

We carried on sparring while the asshole sat on the side watching. Afterwards he tells me:"It's interesting how we do things differently from you guys". I said to please elaborate. He starts talking about takedowns in that vague way of someone who doesn't know anything about them does, and I eventually work out that he is talking about the head placement for the single and double leg. I ask him to please demonstrate how he would do the single and the double. For the single leg, he explains, your head must be on the outside. So if you are grabbing the left leg, your left ear will be on his left hip or left ribs. For the double your head must be on the inside. I tell him he's stupid. He leaves.

That guy apparently showed up the next lesson ( I had a cold ), and after 10 minutes almost had a heart attack and left, never to be seen again.

There are more but I should stop before my blood pressure goes any higher.
    Last edited by beardedtaco; 5/19/2010 1:17am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 1:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mexican Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool Story man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 7:54am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    To the OP;

I want to believe that no one is that stupid.

However......

I still occasionally hear people talking about Bloodsport/Frank Dux and they believe his bullshit story is real.

*face palm*
    Man there was a dude at my MMA gym who was a badass guy. About 6 foot 7, had a King Leonidas beard and used to be in the army. He wasn't very good with the internet it should be said, but even he thought Frank Dux was legit.

Quote Originally Posted by meat monkey View Post
    You mean he isn't?

Better take his image off the cross then.... whoops.
    Lyoto Christ. He turns water into...well you know.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast