Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 11:35am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Xingyiquan/Shorin-ryu Karate Historical Connection?

I came across this reference, one I had never heard before.

Wong Chung-Yoh was a 17th century teacher of a style of martial arts known as xingyiquan. Located in Fuzhou in the Fukien Province of China, he was notable for being the teacher of Chatan Yara.
    Wong Chung Yoh

The only reference to this article was as follows:

Very little is known about Wong Chung-yoh. He taught a style of martial arts known as Hsing-I (XingYi), in China in the late 1600's. His school was located in the Foochaw harbor, in the Fukein province of China. His most notable student, the produced the lineage for most modern martial arts, was Chatan Yara.
    Here

I've never heard this before, but given some of the discussions and comparisons we've drawn between IMA and early Shorin-ryu kata (Naihanchi/Parting the Horse's Mane, etc), it doesn't surprise me, and may provide some interesting insights.

That said, it would help to have more actual information on this person. Do any of our Xingyi or IMA heds have any links that might be helpful? Lineage, etc?

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 11:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may not be what you are looking for, but Patric McCarthy's translation of Bubishi tells that the "13 families" (the settlers that came to Okinawa from China... my memory is shaky here... number could be different) were all from the Fukien province, if that's any indication.

I'll do a bit more digging tonight to see if the name Wong Chung-Yoh comes up.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 3:56pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was 12 years old when his uncle, a retailer, convinced the parents of Yara, to sent him to China to study the language and the Chinese culture in genera. As a son of a wealthy family good located in the cut, happens to also have an education in the route of the Martial Arts. In China studied with the teacher Wong Chun Yoh.
    Chatan Yara

It seems that Chatan Yara studied under Wong in Fujian, rather than in Okinawa.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 8:03pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure about the historical accuracy of the book but in The Weaponless Warriors by Richard Kim, Kim agrees that Yara was trained in China under Wong Chung Yoh for 20 years.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 7:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, here's what I dug up.

As brihno360 said, The Weaponless Warrior, by Richard Kim (p.10) states that Yara was taken to China by his uncle, who thought he would make a great martial artist. However, it says that he spent most of his time studying the bo and the twin swords under Wong-chung Yoh, and that the greatest thing he took away with him, was a sense of balance. (Thank you half price books :)

Karate, by Werner Lynd (all I could understand from it...) indicates that Yara's teachings made a contribution to Shobayashi Ryu.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=PPg...ng-yoh&f=false

Legends of the Martial Arts Masters, by Susan Lynn Peterson and Joe Reynolds mention an anecdote about Yara facing a challenger, and only mention in a brief introduction that he trained under Wong for 20 years.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=c5S...ng-yoh&f=false

Der, if you are fluent in German, you might be able to make more sense out of this than I:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=COz...ng-yoh&f=false

Die Miester des Karate Und Kobudo, by Thomas Heinze.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 8:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found this:
    http://www.newbrunswickko.com/karate.php

Not much new info.

Chatan-Yara (Yara Guwa or Yara of Chatan Village) is one of the earliest Okinawan karate men about whom some written information exists and, as with most other early karate men, this information is sparse. Different authors place the birth of Yara in the village of Chatan somewhere between 1670 and 1725. Regardless of when his birth occurred, he contributed significantly to the early development of karate on Okinawa.

Yara was reportedly sent to China when he was 12 years old to train in martial arts and was apprenticed to a man named Wong Chung-Yoh and studied with him for the next 20 years. His training during this time concentrated primarily on the bo and twin swords. Of paramount importance to karate, however, was his study of Hsing-i and Chi Kung which he brought back with him and were the basis for the introduction of inner strength to Okinawan karate.

Yara returned to Chatan, Okinawa at the age of 32 and remained there for the rest of his life. It was here that he originated the Chatan Yara no Kon kata. He later studied with the Chinese envoy Kusanku and is responsible for a portion of the training of the karate great, Tode Sakugawa. While Yara did not establish a formal school, he left us his legacy in three kobudo kata which bear his name; Chatan Yara no Kon, Chatan Yara no Sai, and the Chatan Yara no Tonfa kata. It is recorded that Yara spent his later years studying calligraphy and translating Chinese into Japanese. The descendants of Chatan-Yara still live in the village of Chatan, Okinawa.

The Chatan Yara no Kon kata incorporates fighting techniques unique to Okinawa, encouraging bare-hand fighting as the closing struggle. This form is considered to be one of the most beautiful of the bo kata, as it not only employs lightening fast moves, but also demonstrates the power attainable through master of this weapon.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 8:08am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, everything I've found comes from the Okinawan side of things, what Chatan Yara contributed to karate. I'd like to find out more about Wong's side of things.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 8:13am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Der, if you are fluent in German, you might be able to make more sense out of this than I:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=COz...ng-yoh&f=false

Die Miester des Karate Und Kobudo, by Thomas Heinze.
    My German is pretty well horrible, but I've been brushing up on it since Lady Auslander's mother is a 1st gen immigrant.

It's pretty much a German rendition of the information already posting in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander's Horrible English translation of [I
    Die Miester des Karate Und Kobudo[/I]]In 1772, when he was 12 years old, Yara also trained in Fujian Province under Master Wong Chung Yoh. He learned Quanfa (Xingy & Qigong). He learned Bo fighting and twin swords. Yara spent 20 years in China training martial arts.
    I'll see if I can get my lady to look at the rest.:spam4:

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 8:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your best bet would be going with non-English literature.
    It may cost ~200-500$, but maybe there's an archive with family/history records mentioning his name.

Might be worthwhile to hit up a bully residing in China with a good grasp on the language to make the request of a local gvt archive.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 8:47am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kinda what I was hoping for by posting this.

Where the **** are our CMA heds?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast