Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

finding a school for body type

I am expecting this place to chew me up and spit me out, but here goes.

I am trying to look for a similar thread but basically my issue is that I am a tiny female. Tiny. Fragile. Many broken bones throughout my history (and I would bet that my big mouth is the reason why I have gotten into as many fights as I have) but coming to terms: I don't see the fights stopping anytime soon; so I figure it is best that I get myself in shape. I also want to be healthy, so I want to train for the rest of my life and also find something I enjoy for exercise and socialization, hopefully also enjoy.

I want to find some sort of self-defense that would best suit my body type. I have never weighed above 120 pounds, so I feel that tackling is out of the question? Or maybe I am wrong. Some of the more hardcore wrestling and MMA stuff is intimidating, speaking honestly. I was recommended WC or because hard hitting punches are not going to be my forte. Someone else recommended TKD.

I am looking for a little more beyond gun owning. Something I can block attacks with and potentially keep someone at bay if need be. If I am lucky, something that can bring some pain. It is physically impossible for me to out-power a guy who really wants to drill his fist into my face, so I am looking at what my options are. I am slightly leaning toward a Japanese/Chinese style because I have friends in both countries and visiting is easier for me if need be.

I am taking some time to write this and I have to say this forum is impressive. I could spend months reading the archived threads.
    I thank you ahead of time for your help. I doubt I could add much here, I have little to no experience in any form or training.

Style
    Jerry-Bashing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a woman in my Brazillian Jiu Jitsu class who probably weighs what you do, maybe less. She's certainly 'fragile-looking', but got me in a rear naked choke last week without any trouble at all. As the legend goes, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu was developed specifically to allow smaller people to defeat larger opponents using technique rather than strength.

Other than that - and the fact that people here will tell you to steer well clear of both WC and TKD - I would seriously work on avoiding trouble and de-escalation.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for anyone that gets in loads of fights the ideal style is STFU-fu.

other than that BJJ if you want to win, and Muay thai or boxing if you want to be able to defend the punches and run
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo, because your main concern as a female is being grabbed and roughed up or being trapped underneath a heavier person, not challenged to a fist fight. Judo will teach you to deal with all these skills, but a lot of BJJ places mostly start from their knees in rolling, so you only get the groundwork aspect of grappling and not the stand-up wrestling part which is really really important IMO for self-defense. You'll develop better groundwork in BJJ, but basic Judo groundwork is more than enough to dominate untrained people on the ground. I think BJJ is important if you want to compete against other trained martial artists though.

Since you find MMA type training intimidating, Judo will give you somewhat similar practice in a p.j.s + bowing environment (and you might find mma type training a lot less intimidating after some Judo).

The above poster's STFU-fu was good advice though, because fighting skills help but are just one factor in a situation.

P.S. There's only one way to punch, correctly, that makes the most efficient use of the human body. Weak punches are just worse punches, it's not they're somehow faster or better in some other way to compensate them for being weak, they're just shitty punches. The best you can do is learn to punch correctly and get the most power your body has and hope the other person's form sucks enough that you hit harder. And TKD will probably get you killed since you'll have absolutely zero concept of how to punch (so you'll never get the distance to kick in real life where the other person doesn't want to play foot tag) or avoid face punches. You MIGHT learn to kick really well if it's a good school tho.
    Last edited by maofas; 5/16/2010 12:19pm at .

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    for anyone that gets in loads of fights the ideal style is STFU-fu.
    QFT & FTW.

Anyway everyone is going to give you advice.

What type of physical activities do you enjoy to be healthy?

What kind of contact level are you comfortable with?

How do you feel about personal space?

Style
    BJJ, judo, boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suggesting a martial art to someone who plans to use it in fights is kinda like suggesting a gun to someone who plans to use it in fights. You should be using these things when no other option is available, and to be honest it sounds like you aren't willing to try hard to avoid physical confrontation.

Having said that, do judo.

Style
    This and that.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd agree that Judo or BJJ is a great place to start.

I'd also agree that WC and TKD are both systems to keep away from.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps I worded it incorrectly, but I have found throughout my life STFU sometimes doesn't help. Also, my friends get in quite a bit of bar fights. The last one was just a random drunk guy saying he didn't like how we looked, and it went from there. I haven't been around them lately so my life is nice and quiet.

I appreciate the suggestions. I think maybe more I want something under my belt in a controlled environment that isn't completely useless.

What type of physical activities do you enjoy to be healthy? Nothing now. I just finished off fighting some serious lung issues for the last three years. I used to enjoy ice skating and technical theatre kept me in shape.

What kind of contact level are you comfortable with? I am okay as long as I don't throw out my spine every time.

How do you feel about personal space? I don't know how to answer this one? If they have to grab my arm to throw me or otherwise then fine, or should I expect getting hit in the tits repeatedly?

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HiddenTruth View Post
    Tiny. Fragile. Many broken bones throughout my history
    Weight training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe I didnt say it before.. but listen to maofas

JUDO.

effective
    no 'getting hit in the tits repeatedly'
    may teach you how to not get into trouble
    there is a good chance your spine will remain on the inside..

oh and seriously.. if STFU doesn't work for you, try harder.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last