Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 12:09pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    It was like a mix of boxing, slap boxing, showboating, with a bit of chop sokey for flavor. It was all done bad. A fight scene from a Dolemite movie looked better.
    Would it have been effective or better than no training at all type deal?

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    An entertaining watch on a martial art could be worse that ninjutsu; at least we know ninja existed and whether modern ninjutsu is a valid descendant of the original ninja method is anther ongoing discussion for another time.
    Yes, because just because Ninja existed(?) doesn't mean that there was ever an actual fighting art of Ninjitsu. That being said, I wonder if in a century or two we'll have mcdojos teaching Delta-Force-Do or Seal-Fu.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by waxeater View Post
    For the record, that's a song from the Deltron 3030 (Del and Dan the Automator) record he's playing under the video. It is in no way, shape or form "gangsta rap" and I'm not entirely sure where you would get that from. It's a really great record with an interesting sci-fi slant to it; I'd highly recommend it.
    Is it available under Creative Commons as the video suggests, or is Phil "Private Property" Elmore a copyright infringer as well?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    I wonder if in a century or two we'll have mcdojos teaching Delta-Force-Do or Seal-Fu.
    We have them now. Check out S.C.A.R.S., SAFTA,Systema, Krav Maga,Captain Chris, to name a few. In fact most of the marketing in the RBSD/Combatives genre plays heavily on claims, sometimes genuine,sometimes exaggerated, sometimes completely fraudulent, of military origins and use.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 2:13pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, that's a song from the Deltron 3030 (Del and Dan the Automator) record he's playing under the video. It is in no way, shape or form "gangsta rap" and I'm not entirely sure where you would get that from. It's a really great record with an interesting sci-fi slant to it; I'd highly recommend it.
    3030 is one of my all time favorite albums. It's an awful choice if you're looking for gangsta rap, but I think Phil's idea of whats gangsta is something like this:

Syracuse, bitches!

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 3:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    On the other hand, Elmore mostly dwells on the blackness of it all, to the exclusion of any real debunking. It's quite startling even to me, who have seen Elmore's racism rear its remarkably ugly head in the past. The constant background of gangsta rap, the repeated cries of the alleged racism in not teaching this art to whites, and the generally whiny tone of the narration actually make me want to learn this art just to shut him up.
    the age old "Mother-in-law driving off a cliff with your new car" syndrome.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 3:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    the age old "Mother-in-law driving off a cliff with your new car" syndrome.
    That's why God invented insurance.

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 3:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alas, my inner whiteness asserts itself.

On the other hand, Phil probably thought it was gangsta rap too.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 3:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    Poncy, self-impressed, educated beyond his intelligence. Precise diction with little proper feeling or personality.
    It's kinda required of someone who takes things so seriously that they can cast "Elminster's effulgent epuration" or "Simbul's synostodweomer" with a straight face.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 4:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    It's kinda required of someone who takes things so seriously that they can cast "Elminster's effulgent epuration" or "Simbul's synostodweomer" with a straight face.
    Exactly. Gygax set the pretentious tone. I laughed my ass off when I learned that he thought he was imitating Jack Vance's writing style. Vance does use some obscure words, but only when they are exactly the right words, and his constructions only grow obtuse when he's writing dialogue for characters who are hiding their atrocious motives behind fancy words.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast