Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 3:20am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Incidentally and for a bit of historical context, this is from Black Belt Magazine, July, 1974:

"Karate in Prison: Menace, or Means of Spiritual Survival?" by Anne Darling and James Perryman, p. 21:

Another ex-inmate says the first time he ever saw a karate technique was in Coxsacki, a New York prison, in 1948. "The different prisons had and still have their own fighting styles," he says. They were prison martial arts, not traditional styles. In fact, Kid Gavilan (world welterweight boxing champion, 1951-54) used a Coxsacki variation, and Floyd Patterson's peekaboo style was a Coxsacki variation, too. Because of limited space in prison, we learned wall-fighting techniques. Then a lot of former G.I.s in the joint had learned hand-to-hand combat - they came home, styled it, made it hip, and gave it soul."

Miguel "Miky" Pinero, while an inmate of Sing-Sing, wrote a play called "Short Eyes" about the killing of a sex offender in a house of detention. The play is now a smashing success at the Public Theater in New York. Pinero describes his introduction to prison martial arts: "The first thing I did in the joint was to check out the style and learn to fight with a home piece - somebody from my neighborhood on the streets. I learned the Woodbourne shuffle, an evasion technique that first was used in the joint at Woodbourne and got passed around. Then I learned wall-fighting, and somebody taught me the Comstock style.

The Comstock style, named for an upstate New York prison, involves what one inmate calls "the use of dirty fighting techniques." The object is to lure an opponent into thinking he is going to get a "fair one - then go for a quick, sneak kick to the ankle, kneecap, or family jewels.
    Note that this doesn't prove anything in particular about JHR/52s, just that some elements of "the myth" - especially the idea of different prison populations having evolved particular fighting tricks or styles - were reported in 1974.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    The cons in my family wanted to show us how to "Knuckle Up" and it was terrible.
    Can you explain what he showed you?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 9:23am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the most important thing here is that the video includes a scene of Gary Busey getting triangled! BJJ WINS AGAIN!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 9:32am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I think the most important thing here is that the video includes a scene of Gary Busey getting triangled! BJJ WINS AGAIN!
    Mel Gibson by Triangle Choke FTW! :copdance: 52 blocks my ass! :ninja7:

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Phil blocked me because I stated that there are videos of not only white but also hispanic students learning 52s. As usual he never likes being proven wrong.
    you know damn well that's not the real reason...
    he blocked because you are BLACK.

zomg.

on another note: besides unintended comedy value, does anyone actually give a **** what this fat idiot has got to say about ma's?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 9:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    My case is that a lot of the knee-jerk "52 doesn't exist!" argument was based on people assuming that 52 was somehow supposed to be something much more than a semi-codified form of street boxing. In other words, simultaneously buying in to the mythology and rejecting the whole phenomenon based on the myth.

Anyway, that's the claim; 1970s gangster street boxing that absorbed aspects of other popular cultural influences of the time and continued to evolve, organically, for some time thereafter, eventually accumulating its own urban mythology.
    I must have a crush on you.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 10:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    My pet theory: while editing that clip, Elmore was too busy cowering from Danny Glover to notice the grappling.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Can you explain what he showed you?
    It was like a mix of boxing, slap boxing, showboating, with a bit of chop sokey for flavor. It was all done bad. A fight scene from a Dolemite movie looked better.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 10:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it's only a matter of time before David E. Cash has a 52 block apprenticeship program where he locks you in a cell every night, and tries to rape you.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, that's a song from the Deltron 3030 (Del and Dan the Automator) record he's playing under the video. It is in no way, shape or form "gangsta rap" and I'm not entirely sure where you would get that from. It's a really great record with an interesting sci-fi slant to it; I'd highly recommend it.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast