Thread: an introduction

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

an introduction

my name, for all intensive purposes, is sankyoverymuch. i am twenty years old and i reside in california's inland empire.

it has been a year and a half since i started training martial arts. i took karate at the y when for a few months when i was in the first grade or so. i think it goes without saying that i didn't cultivate any major skills in the three months spent there. so really, i don't consider it to be of any consequence. a year and a half ago i began to study jang mu won hapkido at a local branch of kim's hapkido.

i would go two or three nights a week for an hour and get the absolute hell beat out of me. vigorous stretching bordering on sadistic (the instructor made sure to 'help' people who's splits weren't progressing enough,) directly into kick practice, legs wobbling. after stationary kicking drills, combination practice, situps, rolling, and various mat exercises. then technique for fifteen minutes or so. this did wonders for my physical condition (excluding my horribly sore legs and toes.) but, shortly after testing after orange belt i ran out of extra cash to cover training fees ($100 per month.) so i went on an indefinite, hapkido hiatus.

now while i had been training hapkido, another nearby martial arts school, redlands aikikai started up a systema class. i thoroughly youtubed systema and was very skeptical. i went to train and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the instruction. it seemed almost the polar opposite of the hapkido training. the hapkido training was static to a detriment, the systema training was almost formless to a detriment. but that is a different topic for a different thread. because of the price of systema and the quality of the instruction i still go occasionally.

in the periods where i wasn't training i picked up a few books. kodokan judo by kano, total aikido by shioda, vital point strikes by sang kim, and tao of jeet, things like that. like everyone else i know who read it, i loved tao of jeet and it changed the way i thought of the martial arts (i know, it's terribly original and not at all banal.)

so here i am, nubile, terribly enthusiastic, and more or less broke. i want to continue my training. i want to train in something that will serve as a sort of middle point between the two extremes of hapkido rigidity and systema vaporousness, (i'm not trying to ask for a dojo recommendation or anything, but i would appreciate them if you have something in mind.) i look forward to reading through the forums here. other than that, i don't have much else to say that would be relevant here.

sankyo very much for reading this. if you hadn't, it wouldn't exist.
    :grommit:

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

I've heard that Judo is cheap and widely available.

Joking aside, it'd make it easier for people to help you if you stated your goals.

Do you want to train for fitness? Are you interested in competition? Self defence? Plain fun?

You want to learn to hit people? Whack them with sticks? Perhaps introduce them to the floor via your friend gravity? Or maybe bend their limbs into fun and interesting shapes?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sankyoverymuch View Post

sankyo very much for reading this. if you hadn't, it wouldn't exist.
    :grommit:
    Actually, you are wrong .

Welcome to Bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lu tze, i've heard of this ju-do, i'll have to google it.
    i suppose that goals would really help the fine people of bullshido to help me.

i want to train for self defense, fitness, and my own personal enjoyment. i am not particularly interested in something sports based but i am not ruling out eventually competing for fun.

as far as what i would like to learn to do, all of things you suggested sound favorable. however, if i had to narrow the list down, i am most interested in gravity and joint manipulation. i have no interest in flashy, high kicks that have little practical use, (hence i am not heading back to hapkido.) i want to train something that emphasizes freedom of movement and realism that isn't ridiculous at it's core. (systema. i feel like no matter how good the instructor or the practice is, it's still systema deep down and i am short changing myself by taking it.)

i also want to stay away from the, 'okay now you grab my wrist,'- centric arts, despite how beautiful they appear, the cool pants they wear, and how effective people claim they can be after twenty years. i want to train in something that is realistic, adaptable, and effective if necessary before the twenty year mark. nothing too out of the ordinary there.

it would also be great to meet some relatively sane people that train in such an art that i can train with in the case of being completely broke.

if it gives you a clearer picture: i like what i've seen from sambo, but there isn't a school anywhere near me.

thankyou backfistmonkey. if you hadn't written that, you wouldn't exist either.

i feel thoroughly welcomed.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sankyoverymuch View Post

thankyou backfistmonkey. if you hadn't written that, you wouldn't exist either.

i feel thoroughly welcomed.
    Ignorance =/= void
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just a discordian joke. i didn't intend it to detract from my legitimate inquiries.
    Last edited by sankyoverymuch; 5/24/2010 9:36pm at .

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All hail Discordia!

Welcome too I suppose.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hail eris!

Style
    BJJ, Judo, SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RAW would be pleased. Welcome to Bullshido.