Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious question: When was Fedor outstriked the last time?

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 9:58am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the spoiler in the thread title, jackass!

Also, Overeem is an overrated roid monkey that gasses in less than 3 minutes unless he finishes the fight. He has been KOd 6 times in MMA and 3 times in K-1, just because he got huge he is not unbeatable, watch what Badr Hari did to him recently. Fedor would submit Overeem after the big man gasses late in the first round.

Comparing Fedor with Vovchanchin is beyond retarded. Igor was always a rather one dimensional fighter, with most of his wins coming in Vale Tudo fights against nobodies. Fedor has been undefeated since he entered the game, beaten down both champs of the past and champs of the modern era. He is good in every position, ridiculously durable and a master tactician. He always finds a way to win.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post
    Thanks for the spoiler in the thread title, jackass!

Also, Overeem is an overrated roid monkey that gasses in less than 3 minutes unless he finishes the fight. He has been KOd 6 times in MMA and 3 times in K-1, just because he got huge he is not unbeatable, watch what Badr Hari did to him recently. Fedor would submit Overeem after the big man gasses late in the first round.

Comparing Fedor with Vovchanchin is beyond retarded. Igor was always a rather one dimensional fighter, with most of his wins coming in Vale Tudo fights against nobodies. Fedor has been undefeated since he entered the game, beaten down both champs of the past and champs of the modern era. He is good in every position, ridiculously durable and a master tactician. He always finds a way to win.
    OK, I agree that some of the thread content could have gone inside "spoiler" boxes, but the title is not spoilerific. Unless you go out of your way to check, you can't even tell if it was posted after the fight or not.

If you think the comparison between Igor and Fedor is "retarded" then IMO you don't know a thing about the sport. They represent the same striking tradition, and one or the other has occupied the top slot in the HW division since 1995 (Minus Nog's brief reign). Igor was the first fighter to expose BJJ in NHB, he won 5(!) eight man tourneys, and he beat Mark Kerr when he was considered unstoppable.

From 11/25/95 to 5/1/2000 he was 29-0-2 in 31 fights. In his entire 60 fight career he knocked out 26 fighters and was dropped himself only a single time. As for his opposition, he fought the best of his era, as Fedor was known to do in say 2005.

He was the undisputed Alpha dog of MMA, until all of a sudden... he wasn't.

You proved my point, thanks.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 5/16/2010 10:17am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, as I have said before, thats what makes a horserace, a difference of opinion.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 10:14am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    OK, I agree that some of the thread content could have gone inside "spoiler" boxes, but the title is not spoilerific. Unless you go out of your way to check, you can't even tell if it was posted after the fight or not.

If you think the comparison between Igor and Fedor is "retarded" then IMO you don't know a thing about the sport. They represent the same striking tradition, and one or the other has occupied the top slot in the HW division since 1995 (Minus Nog's brief reign). Igor was the first fighter to expose BJJ in NHB, he won 5(!) eight man tourneys, and he beat Mark Kerr when he was considered unstoppable. He was the undisputed Alpha dog of MMA, until all of a sudden... he wasn't.

You proved my point, thanks.
    The last time I was on this forum this thread wasnt here, now it is, and the fight was last night...I would have to be pretty damn dumb to not see this is a spoiler.

And I dont think you can compare Igor with Fedor because Igor dominated when the sport was in its dark ages, when most fighters were one dimensional and not close to being the athletes they are today and the were like 5 fans of it worldwide. You are comparing apples with oranges here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 10:23am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I dont think you can compare Igor with Fedor because Igor dominated when the sport was in its dark ages, when most fighters were one dimensional and not close to being the athletes they are today and the were like 5 fans of it worldwide.
    Agreed. Fedor has fought a lot of cans too though. Still the greatest. I can see him beating Overeem with a sub obviously, but you can't forget that hail Mary right hand. If Overeem does beat him though I'm blaming you for jinxing this War Wheel!

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 10:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last time I was on this forum this thread wasnt here, now it is, and the fight was last night...I would have to be pretty damn dumb to not see this is a spoiler.
    I hope you can see that I didn't reference Rogers or Strikeforce at all, and that any spoilage was an accident. That said, sorry for the spoiler.

And I dont think you can compare Igor with Fedor because Igor dominated when the sport was in its dark ages, when most fighters were one dimensional and not close to being the athletes they are today and the were like 5 fans of it worldwide. You are comparing apples with oranges here.
    When you say something like "Fighter X was the Fighter Y of his time" I don't see how you can do anything BUT compare apples to oranges. That's the point.

It's not like I was saying Igor is on Fedor's level. I said he dominated in the same fashion, and a lot of people (including you) have short memories. Expect Fedor to get the same treatment when he slides.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 5/16/2010 10:42am at .

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbydeth View Post
    If Overeem does beat him though I'm blaming you for jinxing this War Wheel!
    Think of me as trying to save you money ;)

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disagree with WW. There is no comparison between Fedor and Vovchanchyn. Vovchanchyn was a high-level wild striker, and that's about it. Fedor is that AND a world-class grappler AND a strategic genius. Really, the only similarity I see between the two is that Russian-style of boxing that people go on about, which I assume is what you really talk about when you speak of them being similar.

And the thread title is a huge, gigantic spoiler.

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 11:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Disagree with WW. There is no comparison between Fedor and Vovchanchyn. Vovchanchyn was a high-level wild striker, and that's about it. Fedor is that AND a world-class grappler AND a strategic genius. Really, the only similarity I see between the two is that Russian-style of boxing that people go on about, which I assume is what you really talk about when you speak of them being similar.

And the thread title is a huge, gigantic spoiler.
    Look, I said that Igor was top dog then, as Fedor is top dog today. That is the comparison. Yes they also share a similarity in their striking (and that is incidental to my point). If you bother to read my post you will see that I brought Igor in as an example of someone who ruled for YEARS and is mostly forgotten today. Fedor may suffer the same fate.

Also, I see why people take the title as a spoiler, but it is not. Maybe Overeem looked great losing against Rogers on a bullshit ref all or decision, I didn't say he got the "W". All you can infer from the title is that I still think Overeem is good after watching the fight.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast