Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What would you do? Observing spouse abuse...

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this discussion, but...

These are very interesting videos. As one who has stepped in when witnessing public abuse, these videos interested me. I know it can be risky, but I felt I had to do it the few occasions I have. What do you think? These controlled situations pointed out so many factors including race, dress, environment, fear, etc. Take a look and see what you think.

Don't think I can embed the videos, but you can watch both parts here. The second was pretty disturbing to me.

Part 1:
    http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo...woman-10642092

Part 2:
    http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo...-wwyd-10642168
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is bullshit. If they did the same exact scenario they'd have a point. They change the discussion, they changed the atmosphere, they change the tone and then try to draw the same conclusion.

Sorry, the second video is crappy.

I understand what they are trying to get across but, I don't like how they set it up. The only thing that gives me pause are the bruises on the second lady. The first lady's bruises are hidden by her hair and sweater at first.

I think it has less to do with the dress and more to do with the discussion.

I've stopped a few situations like this but, that is me.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/15/2010 7:40pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:44pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gaaah. That's a really tricky one. I live in a condo and some people abuse their partners in public. Public, meaning EVEN IN THE GODDAMN ELEVATOR. I've felt the overwhelming to throw them to the floor sometimes. What's the tipping point, though?

in the second part I can't believe everyone just looked

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:54pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can, I've seen some shitty things. You'd be surprised what people ignore or justify.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember there was a good story in Eugene S. Robinson's Fight book about someone who diffused a public spousal abuse situation by threatening to call the police.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed, it was not a controlled experiment, but the behavior of the observers in the second vid disturbed me...regardless of any formal sociological conclusions.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 8:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Agreed, it was not a controlled experiment, but the behavior of the observers in the second vid disturbed me...regardless of any formal sociological conclusions.
    Really?

I guess the fact that this phenomena has been occurring since the 60's their reactions didn't disturb me at all. It was expected. I was actually impressed by the reactions in the first video.

I was actually surprised that the last guy actually became uncomfortable and that the other woman was upset at herself.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Really?

I guess the fact that this phenomena has been occurring since the 60's their reactions didn't disturb me at all. It was expected. I was actually impressed by the reactions in the first video.

I was actually surprised that the last guy actually became uncomfortable and that the other woman was upset at herself.
    I did not say I was suprised. Just disturbed. Yeah, the first video people stepped up...that actually suprised me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 8:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    I did not say I was suprised.
    Okay? I didn't say you were.
    Just disturbed.
    I'm surprised you are disturbed. Those reactions are what I expect of most people and am pleasantly surprised when things go different.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 8:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF And you don't find it disturbing that total apathy towards a situation like that is the behavior you expect to see?
Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast