1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Any instruction of self defense not trashable??

    My first post woohoo!!

    I have seen a lot of self defense info from a lot of sites. Is there anyone in the know that brings anything decent to the table without any stupid or shameless self promotion. I mean, I was checking out Sammy Franco recently ( I already know posting that name that won't win me friends here) and was sort of inerested in checking out some of his material until I started seeing the knocks he got from everyone who basically isn't him. I know we all have opinions about certain things. Anyone care to enlighten a newbie as to some good reality based or self defense material not worthy of calling bullshido?

    Thanks for any info guys.
    Trip

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    43
    Style
    Boxing, BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://tonyblauer.com/ - SPEAR system

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, California
    Posts
    50
    Style
    Thai Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Krav Maga is still semi-respected, but the opinion seems to be that the schools vary tremendously on quality of instruction.

    I actually saw a thread- HERE That had a list of the different styles (mostly sport) and how combat effective they were based on a bunch of different criteria.

    Good Luck in your search!

  4. #4
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,680
    Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TripAClaymore View Post
    My first post woohoo!!

    I have seen a lot of self defense info from a lot of sites. Is there anyone in the know that brings anything decent to the table without any stupid or shameless self promotion. I mean, I was checking out Sammy Franco recently ( I already know posting that name that won't win me friends here) and was sort of inerested in checking out some of his material until I started seeing the knocks he got from everyone who basically isn't him. I know we all have opinions about certain things. Anyone care to enlighten a newbie as to some good reality based or self defense material not worthy of calling bullshido?

    Thanks for any info guys.
    Trip
    Could you define why you're interested in "self-defense" systems? Has it to do with work? Or do you want just to protect yourself in a very rare case that you would/could be attacked? Just curious

    Not to put you down or try to change your mind, but most RBSD systems are based on the "deadly" without any form of realistic sparring. Yet most "real-life" fight systems are based on "sport" styles with some added situational awareness.

    US MCMAP and MACP are based on Boxing and BJJ
    The Chinese Militairy uses Sanda as CQC
    Thailand Militairy System "Lerdrit" is basically Muay Thai
    Belgiums CQC is Boxing and Judo
    ...

    I used to study "RBSD" systems and Martial Arts who claimed that they were "ancient RBSD". The only thing that I learned from them was paranoia, not situational awareness.

    Nowadays I train in "sport" styles, cheaper than most RBSD-systems, no paranoia involved and because I get my ass handed out to me on a daily base when we're sparring it also prevents me from growing a too big ego and this will prevent me of starting a fight when it's not necissary at all.

    I could after 6 months training in Sport Arts defend myself better than training years in Martial Arts and RBSD-systems (sad isn't it).

    Also it's a great way to get in/keep your physical condition, you make friends in these types of clubs (the deadly prevent this in RBSD clubs) and you know your limitations, which is even more important than you think.

    In my honest opinion (and experience) train in
    Muay Thai and Judo as your core arts.

    If you carry a knife you can add Kali-Escrima, but if you are living in the USA, there's a good chance that your opponent will be carrying a gun.
    So it would be better to buy a gun and get enough hours at a firing range than train Kali-Escrima.

    If you want to extend the range of your core arts more, add BJJ or Wrestling.

    Hopefully this will help you on your path into defending yourself and your family.

    With kind regards,
    Zendo
    Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 5/15/2010 2:44am at . Reason: some typos and proof reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zendo,

    No this isn't for a job. It is mostly just to know in the rare case. I like knowing things a lot of the time simply for the sake of knowing them to be some degree of "prepared".

    RBSD for me is more about mindset than anything else. I was in the practice of sport fighting for a bit, but it didn't help me one lick when my friend got his ass handed to him and his ankle broken in a damn bar fight. I am ashamed to admit I locked up, bad, and would like to avoid such things in the future. Even though my friend was a dumbass and tried to pick a fight with 4 guys just as big as him, I still felt like I could have done more in the situation. That may sound stupid, but that is just my feelings on it.

    by the way thanks to you both for info.

    Trip

  6. #6
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,680
    Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TripAClaymore View Post
    Zendo,

    No this isn't for a job. It is mostly just to know in the rare case. I like knowing things a lot of the time simply for the sake of knowing them to be some degree of "prepared".

    RBSD for me is more about mindset than anything else. I was in the practice of sport fighting for a bit, but it didn't help me one lick when my friend got his ass handed to him and his ankle broken in a damn bar fight. I am ashamed to admit I locked up, bad, and would like to avoid such things in the future. Even though my friend was a dumbass and tried to pick a fight with 4 guys just as big as him, I still felt like I could have done more in the situation. That may sound stupid, but that is just my feelings on it.

    by the way thanks to you both for info.

    Trip
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend and hope that he didn't sustain any permanent injuries.
    It's normal to lock up in these cases, that would have happend if you even had a background in RBSD-systems. It's only experience from which you can learn to not to tence up.
    Unfortunally there are no Sport Arts, Martial Arts or RBSD-systems that will teach you realistic techniques against multiple attackers. Only a fireweapen and having multiple friends with you that can fight are the answer.

    If I were you, I would look for a Kajukembo school and a FMA school that has connections with the Dog Brothers.
    Or if you live in New York City, I would suggest the Combat SAMBO school of Stephen Koepfer and a FMA school with connections to the Dog Brothers.

    Stephen posts here on BS.net under the name "sambosteve", so you can ask him for more information.

    With kind regards,
    Zendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

  7. #7
    sambosteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,924
    Style
    combat sambo
    NY Combat Sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel free to come by. www.nycombatsambo.com
    Thanks for the kind words zendokan
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

    "disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

  8. #8
    patfromlogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hilo Island of Hawaii
    Posts
    8,923
    Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto on Zendokan's first post (I got the crush going...). And while Kajukenbo/Hawaiian Kempo vary widely, the art is the most self-defense oriented - that is, it's a martial art that has some elements of sport type sparring (because LIVE TRAINING is basic - one on ones, ring in the bull and multi person continuous etc) while maintaining the sd focus. For instance our Kaju school cross trains in Muay Thai kick boxing (which seems mostly to consist of endless reps of simple combos with gloves, pads and body armor) but even when doing that it gets shown the Kaju applications of the techniques, while are often very similar, but are intended to be used in a quick application, not to endure rounds in a ring.

    Since you probably aren't going to move to Honolulu soon, you'll be fine in Sambo or other live training arts.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the info guys.

    Trip

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in