Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:10am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pressure points (kyusho jitsu in Japanese, if you care) is more of a 'nice to have' skill than a need to have skill. I don't know the exact numbers...but there is a percentage of people on which most, or some, pressure points simply don't work. There are even more people who simply don't give a **** if you are applying an infraorbital, mandibular angle, or whatever pressure point...either because they are seething with adrenaline or drunk/high.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 9:08pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Pressure points (kyusho jitsu in Japanese, if you care) is more of a 'nice to have' skill than a need to have skill. I don't know the exact numbers...but there is a percentage of people on which most, or some, pressure points simply don't work. There are even more people who simply don't give a **** if you are applying an infraorbital, mandibular angle, or whatever pressure point...either because they are seething with adrenaline or drunk/high.
    My best friend's like that. Try and apply a "pressure point" technique to him and he'll just stand there smiling. He stubs his toe on the edge of a chair and he's on the floor crying. Go figure.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 9:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / JJJ / Boxing / RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I study both.

I think you have to define terms when you say "Japanese Jujitsu" though...

Almost always when people tell me they study "JJJ" they actually study a style of American Jujitsu.

Actual JAPANESE Jujutsu (as practiced in Japan) is pretty rare in the U.S., compared to all the post WWII styles based on Judo & whatever else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 11:17pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo + Muay Thai would be the most practical solution. You'll get good strikes + clinch game + throws + fundamental groundwork.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 3:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let yourself get pulled in by the pressure point hype you'll see on the internet. There is a hell of a lot evidence that suggests that these things do not work under pressure.

Think about it, what would you rather do? Fiddle about trying to find the pressure point along someone's clavicle and hope they don't hit you or drive your fist into their face and slam them into the floor (in the immortal words of Mr Tripp) so hard their parents die?

Trust me, I studied pressure points in Kung Fu for years and the only thing they're good for is suckering your mates in the pub.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 4:30am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're only interested in the self defense aspect of training you could check out a street fighting style like Krav Maga (or Kajukenbo). If it's KM just make sure the school is teaching proper civilian KM from a recognised Israeli organisation (IKMF or IKMA). Like BJJ cross training in KM is encouraged so most qualified instructors should already have a fairly rounded game.

Re nerve strikes etc... better off going to the groin, eyes or throat if you want to fight dirty. Pressure points work fine in compliant techniques but are mostly useless against a resisting opponent. If they were really effective you would see them in UFC or the old Pride matches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 12:02pm

Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only style I can think of, frankly, is ninjutsu, but good luck finding an instructor who isn't full of it. McDojo nightmare, that is. However, if you can find someone who actually teaches the stuff correctly, it might be what your looking for.

Still, its hard to argue with the "Hit them, Choke them, go have some coffee" argument. I mean, pressure points are nifty, but no one has a brain that works without oxygen...

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 12:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zraven7 View Post
    Only style I can think of, frankly, is ninjutsu, but good luck finding an instructor who isn't full of it. McDojo nightmare, that is. However, if you can find someone who actually teaches the stuff correctly, it might be what your looking for.

Still, its hard to argue with the "Hit them, Choke them, go have some coffee" argument. I mean, pressure points are nifty, but no one has a brain that works without oxygen...

What style of Ninjutsu, pray tell?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And there is the problem. With my limited means, I have only been able to find out bare minimum about ninjutsu. I know it integrates grappeling aspects with precision striking, but anything beyond that, i can't say for sure. The McDojo comment is personal experience though, as I was interested, looked into the meager few schools advertising training in my area, and saw nothing that looked, well, worth tie, let alone a stupid amount of money. If you have any reliable ninjutsu references, please tell me, because i have always been curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Point taken, information appreciated. BTW, Lu Tze, if your SN is the Discworld reference I think it is, that is happy.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast