Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 12:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ vs. Japanese JJ

Can someone please explain to me the difference between Japanese JJ and BJJ?

From what I gather, it seems like Japanese JJ also teaches strikes, kicks, and throws, whereas BJJ is just ground fighting?

Also, which style would be better to learn for street fighting?

Thanks.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 12:59am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japanese JJ is usually a toss up in quality. Check this video out, if you don't understand this principle you won't be able to distinguish good MA from bad MA.

YouTube- Words of Wisdom PT 1

BJJ does just teach groundfighting, however it highly encourages cross-training and depending on the gym the Blackbelt will be a former wrestler or have a judo black belt.

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great video, thanks.

The more research I do, the more it seems like the most effective combo for real street fighting skills is BJJ and Muy Thai. I just wish one of them also included pressure point type ****.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:20am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by declaw View Post
    Great video, thanks.

The more research I do, the more it seems like the most effective combo for real street fighting skills is BJJ and Muy Thai. I just wish one of them also included pressure point type ****.
    You got 2/3rds of that equation right (training in a system that includes lots of sparring and full contact competitions). In your own words what is pressure point type ****?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean the kind of close contact strikes and chokes to someones throat, arteries, wrists, etc. Not like joint locks or anything, but more like learning where to apply pressure with your hands and fingers on a person that really fucking hurts them, in order to get away in a self defense situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 2:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean the kind of close contact strikes and chokes to someones throat, arteries, wrists, etc. Not like joint locks or anything, but more like learning where to apply pressure with your hands and fingers on a person that really fucking hurts them, in order to get away in a self defense situation.
    A quick glance at the ever-reliable wikipedia reminded me of koppojutsu (bone attacks) and koshijutsu (nerve attacks), two components of taijutsu/jujutsu. If you have a JJJ place in mind you should ask the instructor(s) if/how they approach those two things. That said any striking art should teach you how to adjust the effect of a single technique by varying the target.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 4:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Japanese JJ is usually a toss up in quality. Check this video out, if you don't understand this principle you won't be able to distinguish good MA from bad MA.

YouTube- Words of Wisdom PT 1

BJJ does just teach groundfighting, however it highly encourages cross-training and depending on the gym the Blackbelt will be a former wrestler or have a judo black belt.
    the problem with finding good Japanese Jujutsu that's going to teach you anything worthwhile in a timely fashion is actually finding it.

If you ask me, it's actually better to go find a Judo school that teaches more than just competition judo. It'll be easier than trying to get some BJJ instructor to get off of the ground and teach good stand-up.
    Seriously, go find a good Judo school and spend a bit of time doing stand-up and newaza. THEN go find a BJJ school once you have a ground foundation.
    You'll be a lot better off and have some quality skills.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 5:16am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punching someone so they are kocked out, and choking someone out, are all the pressure points you need to know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 7:05am

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As yoj just pointed out your much better off just applying allot of pressure really fast to the face / jaw. As far as chokes go your bound to learn plenty at any judo bjj or good jjj place you go so no need to worry about that.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast