Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 6:22pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    It was a valid retort to your contribution.
    You haven't earned this latitude in the one month you have been registered here.

Stick to spamming your Judo school.
    LOL O RLY!?!?!?

AS TO ZEN:

I like seeing you keep an open mind. Too bad WK isn't there to shepherd you along.
    Thanks. From my experience in martial arts in general, I don't try and come to a fixed conclusion about any art I see. I always give any martial art a shot before I try to form an opinion, as long as I see that there is a "acceptable" amount of alive training in it. By acceptable, I mean emphasis on sparring, alive drills, and conditioning, and not on katas, one-step, over-theorizing on scenarios, etc.

Who runs the school/gym/club/whatever, and the so called style that is taught does not so much concern me, as to how the classes are run, who is teaching and whether or not they are qualified for that particular class, and whether the other students themselves are driven to participate and are a least not big a-holes.

Yeah, I am glad I got to know him. It sucks he moved to a different state for school, but I never hesitate to call him if I need any advice on the subject of martial arts.

Thanks again,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 6:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG ICE HOLE View Post
    "Tae-kwon-dont" & "Take-ones-do" - is not what it used to be. It is an Olympic sport
    So it's just like Judo then.

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 6:54pm

Style: Judo, Jiu Jitsu, NO-GI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    So it's just like Judo then.
    In many ways, yes. Except in its effectiveness. :adora:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 9:17pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That MMA gym sounds really cool man. I'd love to do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG ICE HOLE
    Stick to Judo. "Tae-kwon-dont" & "Take-ones-do" - is not what it used to be. It is an Olympic sport, but it is far from being a realistic or functional martial art that could be used as self defense in a real life street fight.
    Have you trained in Taekwondo before? How do you know of it's ineffectiveness? I could go on about how I've used it successfully to defend myself (I have but that'd be besides the point) but really dude this isn't a legitimate argument. Otherwise you'd have to call in to question other martial art styles.

Oh yeah, your comment was stupid.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger View Post
    You seem to have a very limited ability to give good advice or contribute anything useful. DerAuss108 was just pointing that out for you. :thumbsup:
    and that's how you internet bitch slap.

other than that, do what you like. if you like the boxing/mma stuff, do it.
    if you wanna try the judo club's tkd, do it.

try the TKD at KJC, but you might like boxing better.

ask yourself this. why are you going back to TKD? do you want more plastic trophies to mutilate in my honor and a black belt with your name in gold? or do you genuinely like the art.

meh, just do what's fun and **** the rest.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    5/30/2010 11:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    and that's how you internet bitch slap.

other than that, do what you like. if you like the boxing/mma stuff, do it.
    if you wanna try the judo club's tkd, do it.

try the TKD at KJC, but you might like boxing better.

ask yourself this. why are you going back to TKD? do you want more plastic trophies to mutilate in my honor and a black belt with your name in gold? or do you genuinely like the art.

meh, just do what's fun and **** the rest.

Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, I will try the tkd to see if I can get into it, meaning, if it's fun, and is trained alive. I don"t really care for getting a black belt belt in it that much, but it would be nice to have for resume purposes :qgaraduat

I really liked the boxing class, so that is up on my list for training in more if I can make the time for it, but I am putting judo first on my list to train, because it fits my budget, and is damn fun!

And I will take the advice of doing what's fun and fucking the rest!

Sincerely,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

Bill Cosby

Greek proverb

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick update:

I have yet to hear about when the tkd classes are going to take place officially. It seems to me as if they are having some issues working out a time slot for the tkd at the moment, and whether or not the person who will teach is actually going to follow through with it. Now this is all just speculation on my part and not for sure, but I have yet to hear specifics on the tkd classes.

I will give it another week to see how this all turns out, and if I don't hear of anything concrete, then to boxing I will go.

Also:

As of the past few weeks I have been getting more hours at work while at the same time freeing up hours in the evenings to be able to train martial arts more than once a week. I can train judo twice a week now, but those are the only days my judo school is opened, besides the occasional weekend class which I can't make anyways due to work =(.

What this does mean, is that I now have the funds and time to train another martial art, even if I do get back into tkd. Yay for me!

After calculating my take home pay and subtracting my monthly expenditures, I have more than enough money left over to take boxing and Bjj at the gym me and friend went to a couple weeks prior, plus I would still have plenty of money left over to put in the bank.

Here is a link to the school's website. (Might write a school review for it after a few months time).

I am really excited that I now have time to do this stuff. I will just have to be careful to not over train or push my body too much to where I could severely injure myself. As I have said before, judo will still be my primary focus for quite a while, so if worse comes to worse and have to stop training for some non injury reason, I will always look for a way to fit judo into my shcedule.

I have an appointment with the gym's head instructor/owner next week about payments and whatnot. I will let you all know how it turns out. I am so pumped that I am able to get more training!

Sincerely,

ZoA.

Bill Cosby

Greek proverb

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 3:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    guidry's is a contract based school. they have awesome training there, but it is contract based and you have to choose what subjects you take.

not my cup of tea. check out finny's. you get good ground and exceptional stand up there.

i think you might have the problem i'm having now. trying to unlearn TKD bad habits.
    just train and push through it all. you'll be alright.
    --------

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    guidry's is a contract based school. they have awesome training there, but it is contract based and you have to choose what subjects you take.
    not my cup of tea. check out finny's. you get good ground and exceptional stand up there.
    I looked at Finney's site, and I have heard great things about them, but when I checked their schedule for boxing and bjj it conflicted with my work hours.
    I am not sure what their pricing is, as you have to call them up about it (they dont have prices listed on their site for some reason), which I might do if my schedule changes and can actually make it to their classes.

I have read other threads on this site where it talks about contracts in bjj/mma schools, and people have stated that it is pretty common, even with legit schools, as long as they are no more than 12 month contracts.
    (more than a year screams McDojo)

Guidry's has 6 or 12 month contracts at reasonable prices, so am not too worried about their being some foul use of contratcs. They also have no sign up fee, and their training schedule for boxing and bjj works with my schedule so that's why I think they are the best choice for me, though I would rather not sign a contract, like you.

i think you might have the problem i'm having now. trying to unlearn TKD bad habits.
    just train and push through it all. you'll be alright.

To an extent, yes. Trying to unlearn bad habits is frustrating at best, and I want to work from the ground up on improving my striking game, along with improving at judo too.
    Don't worry, I plan to train and push through all the pain and other hardships that come with hard training, and I am sure I will enjoy every bit of it. :dink:

Sincerely,

ZoA.

P.S.:

I just found out that what I have to pay for car insurance has dropped dramatically!!! That means I have quite a bit more money to pocket/spend on training. YAY!!!

Bill Cosby

Greek proverb

Posted On:
    6/07/2010 9:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm just very lucky that i get club wrestling/bjj for free and mma/bjj/tkd for 70 a month, no contract.
    --------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123