Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 11:00pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Chance My Judo Club Is Going to Have Tae Kwon Do. Might Give it Another Shot.

As chance would have it, it seems that one of the judo black belts at the KJC knows a guy who is looking to teach TKD, and plans are in motion to make it happen sometime in early-to-mid June.

As some of you already know, I first started in TKD, but stopped for quite a number of reasons (I started some threads on that subject, but you can look for them yourself, I am too lazy to pull them up right now). Anyways, if I see an emphasis on medium to hard sparring/alive drills with minimal time spent on forms/one-steps, and they have actual adult classes and try not to have a bunch of kiddies in class all the time, I am thinking on giving it a go.

Now I am still undecided if I really want to get back into TKD, but I can't see much harm in it if it turns out to be good instruction and the classes don't interfere with my judo and work (and I believe that they are already covered by my normal monthly payments to the club anyway. Will check on that).

So, do any of you think that getting back into TKD sounds good for me, as long as it does not get in the way of work and judo?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sincerely,

ZoA.

P.S.:

I am not sure what org the TKD will be under, but will post it as soon as I find out.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 11:14pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most likely it'll be WTF. If it's ATA run....run far away...and never return.

J/K but on a serious note if it is quality instruction and won't interfere with your other training I say go for it. Probably could compliment your Judo training very well. Oh and I'm just curious what made you stop training originally?

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 11:34pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    Most likely it'll be WTF. If it's ATA run....run far away...and never return.

J/K but on a serious note if it is quality instruction and won't interfere with your other training I say go for it. Probably could compliment your Judo training very well. Oh and I'm just curious what made you stop training originally?

The abridged version:

• I had serious migraine issues throughout high school and could not show up on a regular basis.

• Wasn't enjoying how class was being taught, i.e. too much time spent on forms, one-steps, etc. for my taste.

• I started in a kids class taught out of a middle school as an after school program. When I got older, there were still kids half my age and I was lucky if I had anyone over 13 to spar.

• Tried making it to the actual TKD school down the street my teacher was affiliated with, and more kiddies, albeit more adults, but sparring was restrictive as hell (almost always light sparring even with adults, and sometimes even NO CONTACT SPARRING FOR ADULTS at times. That still sticks out to me as bullshit.)

• Wasn't going to class because I enjoyed it anymore, but came whenever we had "advanced class", which basically was learning stuff from other martial arts like wrestling (tkd teacher wrestled in high school and knew some stuff), HKD, Judo, escrima/kali, etc.

SO yeah. If the TKD classes that are going to be taught are going to be like what my former TKD was like, then I will stay clear and just focus on judo.
    If not and they spar more often and hard, then I will give it a go.

Thanks for the response.

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 12:10am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn dude that sucks. Light or no contact sparring for adults? Man why are people turning into such big giant pussies? When I first began my training I took sparring with the adults (was 13) and got paired sometimes with black belts. Granted if the person was a higher rank they wouldn't go full force but they'd still bat me around pretty good.*

If this club does full contact then that is at least a good sign. Forms are alright too so long as they aren't the primary focus.

*Also it didn't help that I was chubby and out of shape......haha

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 12:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger View Post
    . Anyways, if I see an emphasis on medium to hard sparring/alive drills with minimal time spent on forms/one-steps, and they have actual adult classes and try not to have a bunch of kiddies in class all the time, I am thinking on giving it a go.
    And keeping your fucking hands up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 6:11pm

Style: -TKD--BJJ-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first I'd have to say is find out why/what you wanna do with TKD, but besides that I say go for it, I've been doing TKD for ever and left and trained Olympic Judo, and loved it, then got "home sick" and went back to TKD, OLYMPIC JUDO is a great contrast to forms/onesteps etc..., but I love to go "headhunting" and kick ppl in head so its the best of both worlds, also just recently a local KARATE school opened a NOGI JIUJITSU CLASS and its crazy to see how you do without a GI... but I keep my main focus on my "first love" TKD since I have spent the most time in it and Judo/JJ like my "secret lovers" (LMFAO poor analogy) I have a new passion for the grappling arts but my forms and all that are all memorized so I just maintain those skills, my goal and next step is compete and see how well they work out for me.

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 4:19am

Style: Judo, Jiu Jitsu, NO-GI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick to Judo. "Tae-kwon-dont" & "Take-ones-do" - is not what it used to be. It is an Olympic sport, but it is far from being a realistic or functional martial art that could be used as self defense in a real life street fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 5:22am

Style: bitchin' and whinin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you're some kind of professional ruffian, you will spend more time of your too short life training than defending your life. If you enjoy this TKD class then do it, best not to be under any illusions about it helping you to fight, but you already have Judo!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 11:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG ICE HOLE View Post
    Stick to Judo. "Tae-kwon-dont" & "Take-ones-do" - is not what it used to be. It is an Olympic sport, but it is far from being a realistic or functional martial art that could be used as self defense in a real life street fight.
    You need to shut the **** up.

Posted On:
    5/26/2010 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd give it a shot again if I had the opportunity. I'm getting less picky as I get older. Still won't do Aikido or WC though.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast