Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not that bad. I think this is based on the techniques you're taught, not they way you are taught them. So learning eye gouges is advantageous for the rating, although you can't be taught in them like in punching. Maybe with special glasses for your sparringpartner, that have an outer layer that cracks when an eye would take damage...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This list would've been better if he left out the ratings system and just kept the desrcriptions of the styles. He seems to acknowledge that there are a large number of McDojos in certain styles, but then just continues to grade them based on how theoretically effective they would be if they actually trained their techniques with aliveness. He also puts too much emphasis on teh deadly eye-gouges and groin kicking, and doesn't take into account that practitioners of other styles could easily modify their techniques to do those (Or that you don't really need any training at all to pull them off).

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    This list would've been better if he left out the ratings system and just kept the desrcriptions of the styles. He seems to acknowledge that there are a large number of McDojos in certain styles, but then just continues to grade them based on how theoretically effective they would be if they actually trained their techniques with aliveness. He also puts too much emphasis on teh deadly eye-gouges and groin kicking, and doesn't take into account that practitioners of other styles could easily modify their techniques to do those (Or that you don't really need any training at all to pull them off).
    Yeah, that was my only issue.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 1:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression Sumo actually had a lot of judo-like throws and takedowns, and seeing as there is the whole palm strike thing I would thing it would be a hell of alot more effective than krav.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sumo: When you absolutely, positively have to beat someone's ass in three seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 2:34pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Sumo: When you absolutely, positively have to remove someone from a circle in three seconds.
    There, a more accurate description. I've never really seen Sumo as a martial art but rather as just a sport. I can't honestly say it would work well with training for MMA or other full combat sports/situations but I have to admit it does have a few crossovers with wrestling and BJJ; body positioning, using leverage and the like.

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 2:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rating Daido Juku high for "dirty techniques" is valid, because unlike other styles that just compliantly practice eye gouges, those guys actually kick each other in the balls full contact in competition IF there's a weight difference of I-forget-how-many-pounds between fighters. Plus you can headbutt!

THAT deserves a 9.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 5:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy seems like he hasn't been hit in the balls enough.

Also he needs to learn about Piratejitsu.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Rating Daido Juku high for "dirty techniques" is valid, because unlike other styles that just compliantly practice eye gouges, those guys actually kick each other in the balls full contact in competition IF there's a weight difference of I-forget-how-many-pounds between fighters. Plus you can headbutt!

THAT deserves a 9.
    Do you have any idea what kind of groin protection they use? Unless there was some kind of secret awesome cup, I don't know if I'd be down for competing with full contact to the groin.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2010 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember reading an old BB magazine article about the Sabaki Challenge. It seemed to indicate that kicking to the groin was not only allowed, but also scored you points. The ironic thing about that is that the Sabaki Challenge was an Enshin karate tournament that didn't allow head punches.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast