Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I consider it an honor

I find it interesting that many of the people who have chosen to disagree with the views of Phill Porter have never been to Kodokan, or trained under any of the pedigreed instructors of Kodokan, and actually run the "governing" bodies of Judo in the U.S. . I also find it interesting that two people can watch a car accident from the sidewalk and when asked what happened each gives a different account.
    IMHO Phill Porter has put in his time, and has dedicated a great deal to Judo. The pissing match about who is higher or who is in "control" has been going on since the dawn of man; this dilema spawned the wars that birthed Martial Arts. This is the way of mankind ! The principles that attracted many of us to Martial Arts were taught to try to prevent the very behavior that causes the need to use our skills of combat. I have trained under Phill porter, and he is still my Sensei. I do not have to agree with everything he believes or does, but I do share two very important values that I am willing to defend to the death; first, the belief in the principle of Jita Kyoei, Mutual Benefit and Welfare, and second is the simple truth that Judo Rules (just my opinion)! Everything else beyond that is for the politicians...you know, those guys who start the wars.
    As for any mistakes or misguided decisions that he may have made in the past, perceived or actual, I figure that they are quite small when compared to the typical United States Senator, and we have not hung any of them lately. I would also like to say openly, that in corespondance he has had a very humble and reverant tone, admitting that he is falible also. Reguardless of any past dealings he seems to be true and genuine.
    I will be hosting a seminar at my humble little dojo in August of this year (2010). I will gladly post my honest opinion and observation openly on this forum. If anyone cares to read it or even respond, I will do my best to give as accurate accounting as possible. Interestingly enough, for a guy who has been made out to be a money monger, he told me that he would be glad to hold this seminar even if there were just 6 or 8 of us attending, and the only cost that he asked from each participant is that of a USMA life membership, which is used for that purpose solely, and hotel accomodations for he and his wife at the Motel 6. If you are sharing your knowledge with someone it would seem fair that they become a member of your association, or dojo etc... I consider it an honor to be able to benefit from this man's experience.

Style
    BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Epic thread necro, dude.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Necro what?

Sorry, I dont understand the lingo I guess. Not sure what you are saying.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thread you posted on was several years old, which is looked down upon.

Where is your dojo; perhaps a local Bullshido poster can also come and then we cane have two reports.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps that may be possible. Just to be clear, I dont actually care what anybody thinks. I was just willing to give my humble opinion as honestly as I could after the seminar. The first post should tell the story; I hate politics! I do hate bullshit also, however. This is my school where I teach the values I believe in . Two of the most important values I teach are tollerance and respect. I have no problem with someone comming to observe, or even join in, but it will be done respectfully. If that is not understandable and honored, then I would be disinclined to have them as a guest. I believe that people can be honest and still have respect. Whatever they choose to write once they leave my doors is on them, but in my place there will be respect shown to everyone! We may not be boyscouts who just walked out of an episode of "Leave it to Beaver", but we do at least respect others.
    That said, I am not beyond getting a PM or whatever to arrange details.
    Phoenix AZ