Posted On:
    5/14/2010 2:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fighting My Way Across The USA.

Ok. So here's the deal.

I just posted a challenge to spar with a bloke from florida on the sherdog forum, because I'm planning a road trip from my home in southern california and florida is ONE of my stops along the way. That's when it dawned on me that I'm planning on going basically across the United States, and I could use this trip to not only see my family that is scattered across the country, but also to meet a **** ton of cool people who know a lot more than me, and also to learn new stuff about this new hobby I've found, and already love enough to make the following commitment-

First off, the trip- I plan to go from california, Making stops in Chicago, North Carolina, Florida, Houston, and New York City. Nights when I cannot stay at someones's house for free I will either be sleeping in my car for a couple hours, or camping out.

So here's where you guys come in. If you live near one of these destinations, or along the way to one of these places, I think it would be awesome if I could spar with you. I do not care about your skill level, just as long as you understand that I will only have about three months experience under my belt, even less with full contact sparring. So obviously, to all you other beginner bullies, here's your chance to test your low-level skills, and all you black belt bastards, heres your chance to stomp a total neub.

I understand that this sounds pretty crazy, but I hold no illusions. I know I'm going to get the **** kicked out of me most of the time. But I think that since this is one of the only times I'll ever be able to do something like this, its worth it, and I also think that I'll learn quite a bit from seeing all the different fighting styles and personalities. And I think that having something like this looming over me will help give me more motivation to train harder, and also will make this road trip more likely to happen.

Right now I am planning for early to mid july, but I'll update the thread with the exact dates.

Oh, and sorry all you judokans and yuiyitsers, I'm only training with the Thai Boxing for now, and I would like to limit it to stand-up, just so that I KIND OF know what to expect. Obviously I would need other people to be willing to host these sparring sessions, and if you're interested, for right now (before I can narrow down the dates all the way) just let me know what area you're around, what your style is, and also what your level of experience is.

Sorry if this whole shebang strikes you as a cocky newb asshole declaration of stupidity, but I just got really excited about it.

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 4:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you're going through NC, we have 20-30 person sparring meetups every 4 mos. in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. I think they're planning one out of order in June or July. Check this subforum every so often IMO.

If it doesn't coincide with your trip you can feel free to spar with me (but I have a beginner with under a year for you too), if only so I don't have to read another post 3 mos. later where you recount all the styles you sparred on your trip and how no krotty guys except Kyokushin would do non-point sparring.
    Last edited by maofas; 5/14/2010 4:32am at .

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 4:36am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds awesome man, I just just did a roadtrip from Vancouver to Southern Cali.

You'll have a great time.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 4:58am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on when you decide to get going, i might be back in SoCal for a rumble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 5:02pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I am stationed on the I-10 corridor- Pascagoula, MS. It's in between Florida and Houston. You're starting this in July, and so it will be during the field season. However, if I'm in town, you're welcome to drop by and play.

My striking is not my greatest asset, but I'll be happy to bang around with you. I'll even show you how to sneak a dirty, rotten throw in your stand up if you're amenable. The work out place is the local AFB (Keesler), so bring your ID. There might be other people there to play with at the gym. It might just be me. So it goes, working out at a place like that. PM me for later details if you're interested.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 5:33pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    start a blog about the whole trip. lots of rest stops have free wifi, take a cheap camera and go to it. should make interesting reading

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    start a blog about the whole trip. lots of rest stops have free wifi, take a cheap camera and go to it. should make interesting reading
    Seconded!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 6:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everybody for your support and kind words, I hope it will be a blast, and I hope even more that financially I can make it happen.

@maofas- NC is actually going to be one of my longest stops, so we'll see what the dates look like exactly, and thanks for the response, It'll be sweet to get the **** kicked out of me by some krotty guys in addition to everyone else.

@conde- like I said before, I have just started at my gym, but I'm sure when I get some more experience and comfort, I could ask to use the ring or cage for a quick sparring session, and it would be cool to either kick-off/end my trip with a good old fashioned beat-down close to home.

@muerteds- OBVIOUSLY I'm down to learn anything I can along the way, as that's 90% of my goal. and I'll be sure to post back when I get the dates more narrowed down- and it would be sick to get hurt by a guy in the military.

@crawford- I will definitely be taking photos, and hopefully video of all the sessions, and photos with everyone who participates, and I'll look into starting a blog or something about the trip in general and possibly a mini one that just focuses on the fighting side of it.

AS FOR EVERYONE ELSE!
    come on bullies, if you are in the southwest, midwest, deep south, north east, or anywhere along the way, let me hear from you, I want to be kept busy on this trip, I don't care if you have 8x my experience or are right there with me starting out, lets get this thing done!

thanks guys!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 8:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you decide to make a stop in Atlanta, Kat (Annatrocity) and I are typically down for sparring. Muaythai is my spe-ci-al-itee ;)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 10:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sweet, I actually lived in Lilburn for a while, and was debating whether or not to make a stop there, but I have friends I can stay with in the Atlanta area, so that would be awesome.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast