Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Twice a week - is it worth it?

So I am all set to get back to work this week. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, and my knee feels great. I have been looking at the schools around town, and something is bothering me. With my work and family schedule, the best I can do is attend 2 Vale Tudo classes a week for 1.5 hours each time. I'm having a hard time with how much benefit I can get from 2 days a week at $85 a month. The only option I can find for going 3 or more days is at a cardio-kickboxing place, and I really want to spar in my training.

For those of you who train that often, how much did/do you benefit? My main goals are to find an activity that I enjoy doing so I am not on the couch all the time, get in better shape than I am (aka skinny-fat), and learn a fighting art. I'm sure that my progress would be slower than someone going 5 days a week, so I am already prepared for that aspect. Thank you for any insight.

Style
    Jerry-Bashing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything's better than nothing, but your satisfaction all depends on what your goals are. If you really just want to get in shape and spar a bit - while also balancing work and staying in good favor with the family - then I'd say twice a week is worth it. $85 a month ain't too bad either.

Most people can find a little find time to supplement their MA with some running, weights, or crossfit style routine - stuff that doesn't have to be done at the gym on a strict schedule.

Welcome, and good luck.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two days of class per week is fine. You just have to add some more workouts to keep in shape. Do some running and lifting.

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say 2-3 times a week is good. Last summer there were times when i would train MT 5 days a week and after a while you get burned out.

Keeping a steady routine of 2 classes a week for many years is better than crashing for a few months and then getting sick of it, so 2 times a week for recreational purposes is good enough, as said before, supplement it with lifting weights, cardio and maybe even yoga.

Whether $85 a month for 8 classes is worth it, that really depends on your budget. As a student its too much for me and i would rather do judo, wrestling or boxing rather than vale tudo.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for your opinions. My initial plan was to go to class on T-Th and do Starting Strength on M-W-F. I may have to drop lifting to 2 days a week until I can get my conditioning up.

The $85 a month is not a big deal to my budget, it's more of a "am I getting my money's worth" kind of thing. There is a boxing gym in town that is like $40 or $50 a month, but it is boxing only. While it would meet my requirements of enjoyment, getting in shape, and sparring, Vale Tudo/MMA interests me MORE than boxing, so that's why I was leaning that way.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unless you are in real danger of being attacked or training for competition training in a martial art that intrests you is the best reason for doing that martial art.

I have found that doing training twice a week gives me the motive to do the extra training at home

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You won't be tearing up the MMA world with 2 classes a week, but it's enough that you'll see improvements in everything you're interested in.

Style
    Judo super noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two classes seems like the ideal. You won't go pro but you can probably do a few competitions. Just make sure you are doing physical activity everyday

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing school full time the past 2 years and practicing FMA 2x a week. I've managed to progress quite significantly, occasionally i would get up with the guys and train on a weekend and occasionally i'd miss a class and only train once a week. Of course, I had all the basics down before hand, but I think you'd be surprised by how much progress you can make training part time. I've also been lifting 3x a week at home and working technique for cardio (at home).

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2X a week is also the availability that I have to train. The problem is that the only places around me that offer the kind of training Im interested in (BJJ, Muy Thai, etc) are all around $200 per month, which is not cost effective for me.

I would definitely be willing to train in some other martial art, that is cheaper per month, but I have no idea what other disciplines teach you good fighting skills without the ancient philosophy/spiritual aspects. I just want to learn to fight, not to meditate or locate my "chi". Not knocking those that do, its just not what Im looking for, and so far only BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, etc., dont seem to have the sprititual/philosophical aspect to them

Page 1 of 2 12 Last