Posted On:
    5/13/2010 10:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alexander Technique

Hi all,

Alexander Technique is certainly not a martial art, but the way it's described, it's supposed to be about your awareness of the way your body is performing any activity, about the efficiency of the way you are utilizing the mechanics of your body, about posture, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone here has tried it. If yes then have they found it useful in their non-martial arts related activities? Has anyone found it useful to apply AT concepts/skills in his/her MA training?

I've just started taking an AT class, after 3 very light-weight classes, I haven't experienced anything earth-shattering yet, but I'm going to be patient about it.

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 10:38pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the3 **** are you on about noob?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 10:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by risk View Post
    Hi all,

Alexander Technique is certainly not a martial art, but the way it's described, it's supposed to be about your awareness of the way your body is performing any activity, about the efficiency of the way you are utilizing the mechanics of your body, about posture, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone here has tried it. If yes then have they found it useful in their non-martial arts related activities? Has anyone found it useful to apply AT concepts/skills in his/her MA training?

I've just started taking an AT class, after 3 very light-weight classes, I haven't experienced anything earth-shattering yet, but I'm going to be patient about it.
    Go find some Feldenkrais Method "Awareness Through Movement" lessons, maybe Google the Feldenkrais Guild in North America. Look for ATM lessons on CD so you can just listen along and follow the directions. The gains in flexibility & coordination alone should blow your mind.

Oh, & check out "Higher Judo: Groundwork" by Moshe Feldenkrais. Good stuff...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 10:46pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be honest, I was hoping this thread would be about Alexander the Great.

But after a quick review of their website, it looks like it's vaguely about posture and relearning how to do certain movements more "efficiently". Meh.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 12:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

isn't that what an MA instructor is supposed to do? teach you the most "efficient ways to use the mechanics of your body"?

isn't it kind of backwards to try to run all your techniques through this additional filter?

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 1:02am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, read up on it, begrudgingly. Elements of all the things you will get from your instructor, maybe not the exact same way.

Train Judo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 1:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh wait, I think I get it, he can't find an instructor for JKD, because Bruce Lee isn't available, so he's looking to learn aerobics moves, and then turn it into fighting ability.

wait, no, I still don't get it.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 1:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all,

I've actually never heared of this, could you provide some links of what it is you are talking about?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 3:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hok se Tong Long

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.alexandertechnique.com.au/

Its basically for building better posture, and allowing you to project your voice. It was developed for Shakespearean actors. Its good, but only in the same way yoga's good (IE cater mostly to metro guys and young, pretty, women)

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 3:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'alas the alexander technique, knew it well!'

like that?

im suddenly thinking of Frasier Crane.
    awesome actor.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast