--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi board my name is Chris I need advice

I am 34, very overweight I have never practiced martial arts in my life. I do not have a clue about self defense. Recently I went through a very tough experience a guy was questioning my manhood and saying worse things to me on an almost daily basis, he pushed me around physically he was a ex con type not much taller than me but very thick he had scars I was afraid and did not speak up or do anything to stop him. He was trying to bait me into a fight but I know I could not beat him he would have destroyed me. This person made my life a living hell I have been beating up myself for my inability to stand up to him, my self confidence is shot he deballed me.

I do not want that to ever happen to me again so I am considering taking up martial arts. I am not interested in becoming a competitive fighter or pro I just want the ability to defend myself if I need to to have the confidence that must surely come with that knowledge. I want to increase my strength, stamina, punching power, kicking power I feel very weak. I am 5'3 Muy Thai seems like a good martial art to learn do you agree? How do I find a good school in NYC? I am wary of dojos I want to learn from someone that knows what they are doing.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're in NYC, I should probably point you towards New York Combat Sambo:
    www.nycombatsambo.com
    Which is run by Bullshido's own Sambosteve. I trained with Steve when I last visited New York, and he's got a solid and well-rounded program.
    I suppose it depends on what part of NY you're in, though; there are a million good schools to be found.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    Submission Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve's club is top notch and you will get Muaythai equivalent striking there. If you want pure Muaythai in the NYC area Tha Wat is a great place to train.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the replies and recmmendations I will consider them.

I am 5'3 from what I have observed Muy Thai relies heavily on elbows and knees being that I am 5'3 my reach is limited. Muy Thai appeals to me because of its aggressive nature, it would allow me to build up my punching power, kicking power and stamina which is what I want. I want to learn a aggressive martial art so the next time someone insists on bullying me I can take care of the problem quickly, with force to send the message to never ever try it again. is Muy Thai right for me?

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will work just fine for you. We've got some ~5 foot tall girls in the Muay Thai class at our gym that don't weigh much more than 100lbs and either of them can beat the crap out of much bigger untrained guys, but for you personally I recommend a tazer or something. It doesn't sound like you have the inherent aggression to actually pull the trigger on your skills even if you were the most badass MT guy around. That might change with the training, but it might not. Some people just never quite get to the point where they can actually beat another human being senseless no matter what the circumstances.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm big and, in sparring, successful little guys do two things - either they take me down and submit me with grappling, or they get inside my reach and hit me (often a combo of events, like get inside and hit then take down etc). So I'd think that Sambo or other grappling type arts (Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and so forth) might be the way to go. You could certainly learn kick-boxing and use it successfully, but it might be easier and faster to learn to throw the idiot (on his head) or arm bar him 'till he cries, or choke him 'till he craps his pants... You get the idea. Muay Thai is a good kick-boxing style and there's lots of good (and shitty) karate and other stand-up styles available.

Sambosteve has a good reputation and has a school downtown AND has a Kyokushin (karate) guy helping teach standup.

Hey, but really considering this reminds me of many years ago when I was getting bullied in high school. I'd joined a karate school and for a while still got picked on. But then, years before I would have had acquired the fighting skills to take on the meat head jocks, my attitude changed. I wasn't going to take **** from the jerks. Period. I remember walking with a friend of mine who played basketball and one of the evil jocks said hi to my friend and I said hi also. My friend said don't say anything or he'll beat you up again and I said, no he won't. The evil jock guy did look puzzled but I knew that sure, he could punch me out, but if he did I'd sneak up and shove a sharp pencil in his kidney or hit him over the head with a large blunt object. I KNEW I wasn't going to take **** from assholes anymore and that was that. Once my attitude changed the morons left me alone.

I actually sat in study hall waiting for this large Japanese moron to poke me in the ribs again. I was going to hammer fist his eye as hard as I could. He usually gave me **** every class. So I sat there waiting. And waiting. And after a couple days I realized that he was never going to even look my way again. Maybe the assholes can smell it.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    It will work just fine for you. We've got some ~5 foot tall girls in the Muay Thai class at our gym that don't weigh much more than 100lbs and either of them can beat the crap out of much bigger untrained guys, but for you personally I recommend a tazer or something. It doesn't sound like you have the inherent aggression to actually pull the trigger on your skills even if you were the most badass MT guy around. That might change with the training, but it might not. Some people just never quite get to the point where they can actually beat another human being senseless no matter what the circumstances.
    This response led me to give a link to How To Control Fear: Fear and How to Control It - No BS MMA and Martial Arts. It might give the poster some ideas. Basically one learns to control fear by sparring.

In my case in a self-defense situation I've actually gone into Zen trance where I watch myself like a movie while "I" take care of moron speed-freak drunk crazy Nazi person but then I'm an ascended martial arts master who Fears No Man!! (send me $500 and I'll give you all the secret information!)
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Judo and Karate-Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

body type

I 1st started with judo then with shotokan and from there kyokushin under the guidance of my grand father and father (was awarded my shodan by grand father), before even at that age until high school I was heavy set. Yes, people pick on others and I learned that with a proper training and self-confidence one can ward off being picked on.

As far as the style you want to train in, go for it whole heartedly. As long that you enjoy the martial arts you are learning it will be self rewarding through physical, mental, and will do good with self-esteem.

Once you achieved the level when you can act instinctively that is when you can experience the out ob body fighting experience when you see yourself fight.

As a 12 year old middle schooler and only been in the US for 2 yrs in 1993 I was picked on by a bully little did he knew what I know. The guy threw a punch, blocked it, grab the arm, swing him around, and hip threw him on the floor. Afterwards no bully messed with me. That was my 1st fight in the US. My last was as a junior in college when a freshman was bragging he is bad ass tkd fighter. In the locker room after weight training class he threw a hook punch and since my left right side is at him, I just instinctively performed a rolling elbow block (a punch to the side as you roll the elbow). It deflected his punch as my fist made contact with the left jaw...he fell to the ground. I just put on my jacket and leave in silence. Since then he became a friend.
    My point is, study the style you want and would enjoy. If ever you get picked again then use what you know to defend yourself.

Style
    Judo and Karate-Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the spelling and gramar errors. Is currently using blackberry and is at work. Hope you guys understand.