Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Sup

Style
    Boxing and Jeet Kune Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sup

Sup Guys. Ok Last Time I was making this thread something happened and it DELETED ALL OF WHAT I WROTE!!!!!!!!!!!! So......I have decided to make this shorter and maybe less sweet. Ok I'm from St.louis County, MO and I started training in the martial arts at 2 yrs of age under an ex- Karate and Kickboxing student who only got to either yellow or orange belt and as for KB he didn't get far in that either. He was a Student of an ex-Karate teacher named ( IDK his first name) (and I don't know how to spell his last ) Master Amanaut. Anyway's I was taught the basics and by basics I mean BASICS like how to punch correctly and how to block that sorta thing. Come on I was like 2 and my only martial arts knowledge came from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Mortal Kombat with some Street Fighter II in the mix there so yeah. He never gave me in depth instructions due to a lack in his own knowledge and By 10 yrs of age I wasn't studying under anyone certified or otherwise. By 12 I started to get into boxing watching Joe Frazier beat the **** outta that ****** Cassius Clay and I wanted to learn boxing so I began self teaching it. At About the same time I came Across the Greatness That is, was , and Always will be BRUCE LEE. After studying about his life in-depth ( Though I don't claim to be an authority on his life ) I came across about his art Jeet Kune Do " The Way of the Intercepting Fist " . So I wanted to learn more about his art and I wanted to learn from a Teacher this time not some drop out or by self teaching. But unfortunately the only teacher in this area is this guy:
    Sifu Joseph D. Craig is the head Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do Instructor. He was certified in Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do (the art and philosophy of the late Bruce Lee) under Sigung Dan Inosanto (Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts in Los Angeles California). Sifu Craig began apprentice teaching in 1993 under Sifu Jim Smothers Sr. and Sifu Dwight Trower, and has been actively training in JKD since 1989.
    Now I want to learn Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do. Not Jeet Kune Do: Concepts. I Highly admire Sigung Inosanto but I don't believe in the way he teaches Bruce's art and I don't think Bruce Would agree either but then again we'll never know. I was hoping to find someone who know's JFJKD someone who trained with or trained with someone who trained with Sigung Ted Wong or Sigung Jerry Poteet. But Alas there is no such person to my knowledge in the St.louis County area or near at least who does. The " Nearest " JFJKD teacher is in Chicago and lord know I sure as hell ain't paying for gas to and forth AND all the while pay for lessons so that's out of the question. So I have decided until I am able to move to Cali and learn at a REAL JFJKD school then I'm gonna self teach myself which I have been doing through the books I won like The Tao of Jeet Kune Do and Jeet Kune Do: Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way. Also through You tube vids of Ted Wong and Jerry Poteet training. So therefore I am not only a Newb to this Forum but also to JKD and I hope that changes. But I know I'm Still a capable fighter regardless. But to wrap this up I just wanted to say that I hope to get to know everyone here and make some friends possible enemies ( although that's not what I'm aiming for ) and just have fun and share knowledge. Oh before I end this post I want to ask any STL person or just ANY PERSON who might know of a school around me or a person who might teach JFJKD. Thanks. Pz.
    Last edited by G3JKD; 11/26/2008 10:12am at .

KungFuBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, G3JKD! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. In the future, please make judicious use of white space in your posts as shown below:

Quote Originally Posted by G3JKD
    Sup Guys. Ok Last Time I was making this thread something happened and it DELETED ALL OF WHAT I WROTE!!!!!!!!!!!! So......I have decided to make this shorter and maybe less sweet.

Ok I'm from St.louis County, MO and I started training in the martial arts at 2 yrs of age under an ex- Karate and Kickboxing student who only got to either yellow or orange belt and as for KB he didn't get far in that either. He was a Student of an ex-Karate teacher named ( IDK his first name) (and I don't know how to spell his last ) Master Amanaut. Anyway's I was taught the basics and by basics I mean BASICS like how to punch correctly and how to block that sorta thing. Come on I was like 2 and my only martial arts knowledge came from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Mortal Kombat with some Street Fighter II in the mix there so yeah. He never gave me in depth instructions due to a lack in his own knowledge and By 10 yrs of age I wasn't studying under anyone certified or otherwise.

By 12 I started to get into boxing watching Joe Frazier beat the **** outta that ****** Cassius Clay and I wanted to learn boxing so I began self teaching it. At About the same time I came Across the Greatness That is, was , and Always will be BRUCE LEE. After studying about his life in-depth ( Though I don't claim to be an authority on his life ) I came across about his art Jeet Kune Do " The Way of the Intercepting Fist " . So I wanted to learn more about his art and I wanted to learn from a Teacher this time not some drop out or by self teaching. But unfortunately the only teacher in this area is this guy:

Sifu Joseph D. Craig is the head Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do Instructor. He was certified in Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do (the art and philosophy of the late Bruce Lee) under Sigung Dan Inosanto (Inosanto Academy of Martial Arts in Los Angeles California). Sifu Craig began apprentice teaching in 1993 under Sifu Jim Smothers Sr. and Sifu Dwight Trower, and has been actively training in JKD since 1989.

Now I want to learn Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do. Not Jeet Kune Do: Concepts. I Highly admire Sigung Inosanto but I don't believe in the way he teaches Bruce's art and I don't think Bruce Would agree either but then again we'll never know. I was hoping to find someone who know's JFJKD someone who trained with or trained with someone who trained with Sigung Ted Wong or Sigung Jerry Poteet. But Alas there is no such person to my knowledge in the St.louis County area or near at least who does. The " Nearest " JFJKD teacher is in Chicago and lord know I sure as hell ain't paying for gas to and forth AND all the while pay for lessons so that's out of the question.

So I have decided until I am able to move to Cali and learn at a REAL JFJKD school then I'm gonna self teach myself which I have been doing through the books I won like The Tao of Jeet Kune Do and Jeet Kune Do: Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way. Also through You tube vids of Ted Wong and Jerry Poteet training. So therefore I am not only a Newb to this Forum but also to JKD and I hope that changes. But I know I'm Still a capable fighter regardless. But to wrap this up I just wanted to say that I hope to get to know everyone here and make some friends possible enemies ( although that's not what I'm aiming for ) and just have fun and share knowledge.

Oh before I end this post I want to ask any STL person or just ANY PERSON who might know of a school around me or a person who might teach JFJKD. Thanks. Pz.
    I think you would be better served by taking up another fighting art taught locally with aliveness by a competent instructor than pursuing home study. My advice would be to read Matt Thornton's "What is Aliveness?", and then try out as many local schools as you can (assuming they offer a free or cheap first-class trial).
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Style
    Hammer Fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee wants you to do MMA.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How the heck do you study martial arts when you're two?

The problem with being self taught is that there is no one there to correct your mistakes, and believe me, you're making mistakes. Bad form becomes bad habits. These are difficult to overcome later even under qualified instruction. I am speaking from experience.

Judo or boxing are two of the most effective martial arts out there as well as being the most inexpensive. I would advise you to disregard the mystique of Bruce Lee and instead focus on attaining real fighting skills that are within your travel area right now. Judging by the tone of your post, you're a teenager. You'll have plenty of time to learn JFJKD when you are older and have more means.

Style
    Boxing and Jeet Kune Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    H TO THE IZZO wrote:
    In the future, please make judicious use of white space in your posts as shown below:

Sorry about that. I was just trying to pump out my thread before my computer became vindictive again and erased all of it.

H TO THE IZZO wrote:
    I think you would be better served by taking up another fighting art taught locally with aliveness by a competent instructor than pursuing home study. My advice would be to read Matt Thornton's "What is Aliveness?", and then try out as many local schools as you can (assuming they offer a free or cheap first-class trial).
    Before I truly Comment. I have to say I liked the article because he pointed out what it is I don't agree with in JKD: C. Now onto my comment. I read it and I under stand what It means to be Alive or have Aliveness. Not because I read the article and then God Blessed me with knowledge of it. But Because through reading Bruce's writing and my personal understanding of JKD I know what he's talking about. In terms of styles with Aliveness I know the styles don't truly dictate the Aliveness of the Training but rather the method and Instructors do.

But my Question is do you have any personal recommendations of styles to look for locally that might have Aliveness? Like I obviously will check them out myself. I am already looking at a Boxing school near my home and Plan on joining because in my personal Beliefs Boxing is the Ultimate Science of the punch. But I would like to round out my capabilities with another style that has Aliveness.

BENXPX wrote:
    Bruce Lee wants you to do MMA.
    How Do YOU Know :eusa_eh: ? J/k. But I'm not personally into MMA or UFC not that it's bad or anything I just don't personally like it that's all.
    Last edited by G3JKD; 11/26/2008 11:28am at .

Style
    Boxing and Jeet Kune Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp wrote:
    How the heck do you study martial arts when you're two?
    IDK myself. But I did and I kicked my 4 yr old cousins ass who was taking Karate lessons at the time from this Master Amanaut. Of course I was 2 at the time. So yeah I was alittle proud of that. Also he wasn't a white belt but like maybe 2 belts higher or just one but hey I was 2 with no real training so give credit. lol.

The problem with being self taught is that there is no one there to correct your mistakes, and believe me, you're making mistakes. Bad form becomes bad habits. These are difficult to overcome later even under qualified instruction. I am speaking from experience.

Judo or boxing are two of the most effective martial arts out there as well as being the most inexpensive. I would advise you to disregard the mystique of Bruce Lee and instead focus on attaining real fighting skills that are within your travel area right now. Judging by the tone of your post, you're a teenager. You'll have plenty of time to learn JFJKD when you are older and have more means.
    I know what your saying. Like I said I plan on joining this Boxing School/Gym near my house. But it's not that I find Bruce Lee to be like GOD or something I just believe personally that JFJKD is the best form out there to learn that's all no mystique about it.

But I do have a question for you would taking Shaolin Lohan Kung-Fu or Wing Chun or Muay Thai be counter productive or help me develop my abilities for JFJKD.

And Yes I'm 16 how did you know I was a teen?:shock:
    Last edited by G3JKD; 11/26/2008 11:30am at .

Style
    Hammer Fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How Do YOU Know :eusa_eh: ? J/k. But I'm not personally into MMA or UFC not that it's bad or anything I just don't personally like it that's all.
    Because he told me in a dream. He was all like, "yo tell that foo to take MMA" and I was all like, "word?" and he was like "word."

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But I do have a question for you would taking Shaolin Lohan Kung-Fu or Wing Chun or Muay Thai be counter productive or help me develop my abilities for JFJKD.
    I don't have any personal experience in training Shaolin Lohan Kung-Fu or Wing Chun, so I can't answer for those arts. Muay Thai should not interfere with cross training in JFJKD. Given the proven record of Muay Thai, if it does interfere, disregard the JFJKD and stick with the Muay Thai.

And Yes I'm 16 how did you know I was a teen?:shock:
    Lucky guess?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what your saying. Like I said I plan on joining this Boxing School/Gym near my house. But it's not that I find Bruce Lee to be like GOD or something I just believe personally that JFJKD is the best form out there to learn that's all no mystique about it.
    To be as nice as possible about this: It's good that you've got heroes, but with basically 0 experience in fighting how do you have any idea what the 'best form' is or not? JFJKD guys are not exactly ripping it up in open style competition, though some people who consider themselves JKDC types are.

Do Muay Thai, it's the benchmark for stand-up fighting styles.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last