Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Tang Soo Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Private lessons? Why?

Why do people get private lessons in martial arts instead of joining a class with other students?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You got me. I've been teaching for 21 years and I get guys who insist on doing privates.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a guy who was taking private lessons in boxing for like 2years before he came to a communal gym and started fighting.

He went 9-1 the last time I spoke to him but apparently has continued to do well and is turning pro this year.

I guess that little bit of extra attention and finetuning of skills makes a difference at some point.

EDIT: it probably also has something to do with the fact his arms are so long he can tie his shoes without bending down
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    BJJ n stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't bother myself but I could imagine if you were the nervous type who wanted to get your basics down before getting stuck into sparring etc private lessons may seem like a good idea. Or of course, if the instructor is particularly talented then why bother rolling with 'lesser' mortals and just go for the head honcho one on one if you have the chance?

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've taken a few group private lessons here and there. It helps to bring specific things you want to work on to the lesson. If you show up with nothing to focus on you could be wasting your money. I think privates work better at the intermediate level and above. Beginners should just take groups lessons until they have some experience to draw from.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've known people who do private lessons because they are insecure, they want to be just that bit ahead when they rock up to class. I can understand it in a way, if you are particularly unco-ordinated you might feel even worse when everyone seems to be advancing faster than you, fortunately I haven't had this affliction, well, I'm unco, but I don't care about what people think.

I took private lessons for hapkido a while ago because there wasn't enough classes (IMO) to help me advance. Ironically, the instructor was a bit of a douche and would go over the same ****, making me drill stuff that had been done in class while he waltzed around checking out his own flashy wushu moves in the mirror. He said it was to get the fundamentals right, a fair ideal and truthfully, if I hadn't realised the whole deal was bullshido, I might have continued forking over a shitload of money to drill the same **** we learnt in class, which I could have done at home and not have to look at him showing off his flower power wushu.

Other people do it because they work during normal class times. I knew a guy who I saw once a month, but every time I'd see him he was exponentially better and his advancement through belts was quicker than mine. Turned out he worked night shift and trained five to six times a week during the day.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried to take private lessons from teachers when getting ready for martial arts examinations but they feel weird because I've been training with them for 10 plus years and refuse to take money from me. But that is a reason I've known people to take lessons...as additional, one on one, supplemental training in preparation for a specific event.

Also, I know a guy who took private lessons from my teacher because he lived like two hours from our dojo and didn't have anyone he could learn from in a particular style of martial arts in his hometown. So he came up like once a month and trained all morning on our off day with private lessons.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually private lessons quite a bit, and the reasons vary. One is the time/scheduling factor. Another is students looking to focus on a certain technique/concept/weakness in their skillset so they can focus on just what they need.

I have one student who calls himself my "special needs" student - and he really is a train wreck in a group class. I don't know if it's nerves, bad memory, lack of focus or what, but he really doesn't do well in a group class (and the other students get pissed at him too for holding them back). One on one he does fine. I just bring other instructors in once in a while to partner/spar with him or when belt testing comes around so it's not just me.

Either way, I don't mind doing them. I get to work out with them more than I do when I teach a group, and I also get to dig into more detail on things since it's one on one. And they get pushed harder one on one as well, so they end up better for it too.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude you do Shorin Ryu you'll need private counseling.

Style
    BJJ, Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One private lesson per week is included with my (very reasonable) monthly tuition. They usually begin with the instructor asking if I have any questions. I try to remember at least one situation from previous sparring to ask about. I usually ask questions like "What is the counter to ____?" Or, "I found myself in position ____, what should I have done?" My private lessons are usually time well spent.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last