Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 2:55pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had PRK about a dozen years ago. No issues with contact other than the usual (getting poked in the eye sucks, etc.)

Wikipedia: "Unlike LASIK, PRK does not create the risk of dislocated corneal flaps which may occur (especially with trauma), at any time after LASIK."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photore...ve_keratectomy

Not asked, but FYI, I do have one of the more common side effects - a sort of halo/glare effect that makes driving at night, especially in the rain, irritating as hell. Never comes up in the dojo.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Never heard of LASAK. Is it possible that the guy said (or meant) LASEK? —This is similar to PRK.

I guess PRK is better than either LASIK or LASEK if you expect trauma to the head. There are complications of all procedures, of course.
    my bad on the spelling, i'm sure he meant LASEK, then, as this was a verbal conversation, not a written one.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 9:44pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I plan on having LASIK done at the end of this month (27th) and from what the doctor told me, I'd be down for about one to two weeks and after that I'm good.

After I get it done, I'll post up my experiences with training afterwards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 9:57pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had PRK about 2 years ago. A friend and judoka had LASIK a few years before. His flap came undone in one eye while rolling around and wound up out for an additional 6 months. He's supposedly not supposed to do that stuff any more, but it hasn't stopped him.

PRK, no flap. The procedure is a quick thing and all the build up is much more than the actual procedure. You see great immediately after, and they put "bandage" contacts in and you get to wear them until your epithelial cells grow back over your eye. That's 1-2 weeks of really dreadful vision (not bad, considering where I was before the surgery, but still, you can't drive). I had an astigmatism in both eyes, so I got to put steroid drops in my eyes regularly. I went to the doc every few days and we'd adjust the number and types of drops as my vision improved. Next thing you know, I'm in the shower and I look down and I see that I actually have toes. I even have a belly button. Hadn't seen either since childhood, not without glasses anyway.

Took a month or so off, and after that? no problem. It's nice to go to shiai and actually see that my opponent has a face and she's facing me. It's nice to see the line that I'm supposed to walk up to, instead of dragging my feet to feel for the tape. Also, it's really nice not to have to walk around the dojo looking for my damned glasses.

Hope that helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 10:19pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Crawford - yeah - sounds really familiar. Eerie. My prescription was over 10 in both eyes + astigmatism too. Hated my contacts, but slightly less than I hated my glasses. Much happier with this.

If it's any use for people to know, US military regs actually restrict specific training if you've had LASIK, but not if you've had PRK. So I suppose you can take that as 'official' in some way:

In the USA candidates who have had PRK can get a blanket waiver for the Special Forces Qualification, Combat Diving Qualification and Military Free Fall courses. PRK and LASIK are both waived for Airborne, Air Assault and Ranger schools. However, those who have had LASIK must enroll in an observational study, if a slot is available, to undergo training in Special Forces qualification. LASIK is disqualifying/non-waiverable for several United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) schools (HALO, SCUBA, SERE). Army Regulation 40-501

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 5:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had LASIK about 5 years ago. I was playing hockey as a goalie at the time, and told to take a month off. I went back to playing for a year before dropping it to take up martial arts (at least when I come to the dojo I'm expecting to fight).

I have been doing Karate for 4 years now. I participate regularly in sparring, with med. to aggressive contact levels. I have had my nose rearranged several times, and a couple of black eyes. None of this has effected my eyes.

I'm not claiming this as safe, and I have never consulted my surgeon about karate.

But If he had no problem with hockey...
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2010 10:36pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had Lasik done like 5-6 years ago, did TKD as soon as I wasn't wearing the 'Pitch Black' goggles anymore.

I do boxing a few days per week, TKD sparring 1, MMA a couple, BJJ a couple, never had an issue. 4 cage fights, doc's never said anything.

It's my understanding that the flap, heals.. ie it goes back to friggin-gether and is done. In fact it heals fast. Link on flap healing (see also the cornea replacement surgeries): http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-flap-heal.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The following website posts some case reports of late flap disruptions.

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/flapdislocation.htm

Of course, case reports don't give you an idea of the prevalence of flap disruptions for people in contact sports. I had LASIK 4 years ago at that time the opthamologist was cool with me playing hockey goalie after a month, but didn't really say anything long term (wasn't doing MA at the time). From reading, it seems like late disruptions do happen, but they're pretty rare.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    PRK, no flap. The procedure is a quick thing and all the build up is much more than the actual procedure. You see great immediately after, and they put "bandage" contacts in and you get to wear them until your epithelial cells grow back over your eye. That's 1-2 weeks of really dreadful vision (not bad, considering where I was before the surgery, but still, you can't drive). I had an astigmatism in both eyes, so I got to put steroid drops in my eyes regularly. I went to the doc every few days and we'd adjust the number and types of drops as my vision improved. Next thing you know, I'm in the shower and I look down and I see that I actually have toes. I even have a belly button. Hadn't seen either since childhood, not without glasses anyway.
    I had PRK about 3 years ago and my experience was just about the same as above. The doctor suggested PRK because I do contact sports. My corneas were on the thin side but just thick enough to be able to have the procedure.

The first few days did suck ass (fucking hurt) and the improvement was more gradual, but it was totally worth it. I could see well enough to drive within a week and after a year my vision had just about stabilized.

I had an eye test last week and I am now at 20/15 (better than 20/20) when I had originally been something like 20/800+.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 11:47am

Style: Lightning Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's funny how everyone here has had an experience with a doctor assuming that "martial arts" was dancing with Pajamas.

When I had my intra LASIK surgery done (Where they cut the flap with a laser rather than the cookie cutter), I told my doctor that I do Martial Arts (FMA actually) and that I spar regularly. What he told me was "You cannot do boxing or kickboxing for 2 months with contact. After that get hit all you want, just be as careful as you were before". Even the other doctors working there said the same thing... And they specifically talked about Boxing and Kickboxing and one mentioned Krav Maga.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast