Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 1:26am

Style: -TKD--BJJ-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirc View Post
    i don't know why donnie yen didn't become popular over jet li and the others. Yen speaks better english and is a better actor/athlete than them. :(

thats is so true... Why is that?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 5:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like the answer to that question really lies in what made Chan and Li so popular, as opposed to why Yen was not so.

Jackie Chan is sort of a lovable comedian, and has played that character to great effect in films on both sides of the ocean. A friend said that he plays the minstrel show for Americans, and I don't think I can dispute that analogy. Sad as it is, doing dumb movies like The Forbidden Kingdom and The Karate Kid remake will probably continue to boost his popularity among mainstream Americans.

Jet Li is similar in that he's got a consistent character, but is the antithesis to Jackie's comedian. If Chan is the Nintendo, Li is Sony's Playstation. After playing the cold killer in Lethal Weapon, he managed to parlay that role into non-Chinese films like Romeo Must Die and Kiss of the Dragon. Not as popular with the mainstream crowd as Chan, but popular enough.

I don't think that Yen's English or acting skills will help him become popular outside of a very loyal fanbase in the states. Americans are in love with characters, and I don't know if Yen has a consistent enough one to play the crowd with. Sammo Hung had a good one going for him back in the Martial Law days, but I think he eventually tired of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 3:30pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizwar31 View Post
    Nothing wrong with being a superhero fanboy. just makes him that much cooler in my mind. now excuse me while i go back to reading the conclusion of Siege.
    Hey, you'll get no arguments from me, when I use the Underground for long distance travel, I tend to bring some of my comics with me especially Superman and Batman comics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 10:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone seen "Mismatched Couples"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089865/

IMHO, one of Donnie's most memorable films because it's so silly.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123