222019 Bullies, 4187 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 4:06pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bob Reilly called violence charge on MMA proponent "not coincidental"

So, I've been following the legislation on sanctioning MMA in my home state of New York for some time. I've been frustrated with the way some other media outlets have handled the story, and one thing I've done differently is to try and minimize my editorial comments regarding the opposition leader, Assemblyman Bob Reilly.

That being said, in my interview with him today, which you can read here, he said something that I want to editorialize the crap out of and I need an outlet. BS seems like a good place.

So, the notoriously hot headed, down right crazy, State Senator Kevin Parker recently got into an altercation with a Post photographer that he's up for indictment regarding. Parker is also the sponsor for the State Senate's bill to sanction MMA in New York. This is something that Reilly described as "not coincidental."

And that's really what it comes down to. With all the reasonable argument back and forth about safety regulation and proportionate tax caps for events, ultimately the opposition feels that MMA fans are inherently barbaric and to create more of them is to create more violent thugs.

A part of the interview I skipped over in the article was that I questioned the Assemblyman about Chael Sonnen's stance that MMA is barbaric, but these are two trained professionals choosing to do it and, as long as there is a market for it, athletes should be able to participate in barbaric things.

I don't agree with Sonnen's take on the sport, but it's certainly a different argument and therefore worth mentioning. Reilly simply said that if ten girls at a high school would get together and start to fight and fans came around to see it it would still be broken up.

Again, no apparent difference between skilled athletes and adolescent outbursts in the minds of opponents of the sport. And one reason why I don't lash out against the Assemblyman is that I feel he is doing his best to represent his constituency, which is his job, first and foremost.

His constituency just happens to be a bunch of wussified holier than thou's who take a stance as old as codgers themselves:

This does not fit my aesthetic, therefore it requires no skill, holds no value to society, is not enjoyed by reasonable people, and has no ability to inspire.

The whole thing seems so tired for most of us that have been in the trenches that we forget it's alive and well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 4:26pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate people.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 7:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baba O Reilly can go **** himself. How do people in such high positions say such ignorant ****?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 8:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should mention the part where he is a sponsor of a huge ($30 bil) off track betting and horse racing bill and that no one has ever shot an MMA practitioner for breaking a leg.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any and all laws passed in NY state government requires exactly three people to agree: Speaker of the Assembly Sheldon Silver, State Senate Majority Leader Pedro Espada, and Governor David Patterson. (And, sometimes the Governor doesn't have to agree.) The rest is just a side show.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a barbarian, I find his use of the term "barbaric" as a pejorative to be offensive.
    Last edited by TheMightyMcClaw; 4/30/2010 10:07pm at .
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    As a barbarian, I find his use of the term "barbaric" as a pejorative to be offensive.
    I too believe you are correct good sir. How impertinent of him! Why if I didn't keep my wits about I would throw him quite the trashing, oh yes quite the trashing indeed.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 11:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmmmm, more stupid people. Great. Spins chamber, pulls trigger.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 11:53pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Any and all laws passed in NY state government requires exactly three people to agree: Speaker of the Assembly Sheldon Silver, State Senate Majority Leader Pedro Espada, and Governor David Patterson. (And, sometimes the Governor doesn't have to agree.) The rest is just a side show.
    Oh, I know that Reilly, realistically, isn't going to make much of an impact on the process at this stage of the game. It's the attitude that got a reaction out of me. Maybe it's just being so immersed in it has got me on edge. I fluctuate between being very laid back and very sensitive about people's attempts to marginalize the meaning of martial (ALLITERATION!) pursuits by attacking the value of the highest level of performance those pursuits can produce (TWO HIT COMBO!)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 10:37am

Style: Vale-Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

you don't know the half ot it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    So, I've been following the legislation on sanctioning MMA in my home state of New York for some time. I've been frustrated with the way some other media outlets have handled the story, and one thing I've done differently is to try and minimize my editorial comments regarding the opposition leader, Assemblyman Bob Reilly.

That being said, in my interview with him today, which you can read here, he said something that I want to editorialize the crap out of and I need an outlet. BS seems like a good place.

So, the notoriously hot headed, down right crazy, State Senator Kevin Parker recently got into an altercation with a Post photographer that he's up for indictment regarding. Parker is also the sponsor for the State Senate's bill to sanction MMA in New York. This is something that Reilly described as "not coincidental."

And that's really what it comes down to. With all the reasonable argument back and forth about safety regulation and proportionate tax caps for events, ultimately the opposition feels that MMA fans are inherently barbaric and to create more of them is to create more violent thugs.

A part of the interview I skipped over in the article was that I questioned the Assemblyman about Chael Sonnen's stance that MMA is barbaric, but these are two trained professionals choosing to do it and, as long as there is a market for it, athletes should be able to participate in barbaric things.

I don't agree with Sonnen's take on the sport, but it's certainly a different argument and therefore worth mentioning. Reilly simply said that if ten girls at a high school would get together and start to fight and fans came around to see it it would still be broken up.

Again, no apparent difference between skilled athletes and adolescent outbursts in the minds of opponents of the sport. And one reason why I don't lash out against the Assemblyman is that I feel he is doing his best to represent his constituency, which is his job, first and foremost.

His constituency just happens to be a bunch of wussified holier than thou's who take a stance as old as codgers themselves:

This does not fit my aesthetic, therefore it requires no skill, holds no value to society, is not enjoyed by reasonable people, and has no ability to inspire.

The whole thing seems so tired for most of us that have been in the trenches that we forget it's alive and well.

I know I quoted to much, but you don't know the half of it, I am a minister I love the gospel & yet I wonder how it is these people are not eaten by wolves!

it just amazes me how they can be ultra conservitive, heck they should be screaming for social programs many of them are alive soley because it is illegal to kill them!

they scream for laws to govern morality, then throw a hissy when they are asked to support any program that actually benefits other human beings, please do not equate modern evangelical christianity with the teachings of Jesus they would throw him out to,

I appologize for my vocation to all!