Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 9:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, there was a ridiculous amount of forms. Each one was broken down per rank like many other belt factories. Yet, out of each rank, there were only a specific number that you had to learn and none of them had anything to do with GM. Actually, IMO, when GMT dies the art is going to completely fracture into 3 possibly four regions with no ties.

I honestly believe GMT is the only one holding things together. I've felt that way since I quit. The west coast has completely fractured and instructors are slowly forming independednt schools.

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 9:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the original questions that FreshlyMinted asked are, "Is Grandmaster The legit?" and, "Should I study at one of his Shaolin-Do's?"

FreshlyMinted later said that did an internet search and found a lot of negative comments about GMT. First of all, anyone in the public eye will have their detractors. Try googling "Was Mother Teresa". I got as far as "was mot" and the search option "was mother teresa a jerk" was the 3rd most common search option that popped up. Guess what! There are a ton of websites saying Mother Teresa was a jerk. And look at some of the criticisms of GMT. That he has mullet? Really? Who (other than the guy posting) cares? ... Calling the school a McDojo? Name-calling? Really? ... Another thing people do is take GMT's words out of context and pick them apart and say he does not have "corroborating evidence" for his claims. There are no records of GMT's instructor at the Fukien Temple because there are NO records at the Fukien Temple. They were destroyed, probably when the Temple was destroyed. I recently did my personal genealogy, and there is no paperwork that my grandfather ever existed, but I'm pretty sure he did, 'cause here I am. (By the way ... 20 years ago people thought the Fukien Temple was a myth because there was no "corroborating" evidence for it. The Temple was rediscovered in 1995.)

But the real question is NOT, "Is GMT legit?" There real question is, "Should FreshlyMinted join the Shaolin-Do?" 13 years ago, I lived in San Jose, and I was asking myself the same thing. I looked at all the other schools in the area and finally joined the San Jose Shaolin Center, one of GMT's school. I choose the Shaolin Center because it WAS a "McDojo." It was one of a network of successful schools and not just a single Dojo opened by a guy who studied martial arts for a while and thought, "Hey, I'll open a school."

I have been stud at one Shaolin-Do or another for 13 years now, and I can say from my PERSONAL experience that I would recommend it to anyone. I have very much enjoyed the classes. Since starting at the Shaolin Center, I am stronger, heathfitter and more confident than I ever was before. I have accomplished more than I ever thought possible. And I know many, many other fellow students who feel the same way.

I am sure there are other good schools out there, but I like the Shaolin-Do's the best. I have learned an amazing amount from the Shaolin-Do's. GMT claims the knowledge was handed down from generation to generation. Others claim that GMT made if all up. Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me. But if one man did make up this entire art all by himself ... now that would be impressive.

Whatever school FreshlyMinted ended up joining, I hope he or she enjoyed the experience and was enriched by it.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven Stars View Post
    I have been stud at one Shaolin-Do or another for 13 years now, and I can say from my PERSONAL experience that I would recommend it to anyone. I have very much enjoyed the classes. Since starting at the Shaolin Center, I am stronger, heathfitter and more confident than I ever was before. I have accomplished more than I ever thought possible. And I know many, many other fellow students who feel the same way.
    Great. Go post about yourself in Newbietown and tell us all about it.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Be warned there are quite a few ex-Shaolin Do students here with combined experience well beyond yours who have had different PERSONAL experiences.

I am sure there are other good schools out there, but I like the Shaolin-Do's the best. I have learned an amazing amount from the Shaolin-Do's. GMT claims the knowledge was handed down from generation to generation. Others claim that GMT made if all up. Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me. But if one man did make up this entire art all by himself ... now that would be impressive.
    Impressive would be your ability to substantiate your claim to study "Shaolin Kung Fu". You could start with showing your lineage back through at least the 19th century.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/24/2013 10:47am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 1:18pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But the real question is NOT, "Is GMT legit?" There real question is, "Should FreshlyMinted join the Shaolin-Do?" 13 years ago, I lived in San Jose, and I was asking myself the same thing. I looked at all the other schools in the area and finally joined the San Jose Shaolin Center, one of GMT's school.
    The Soard's schools.

I choose the Shaolin Center because it WAS a "McDojo." It was one of a network of successful schools and not just a single Dojo opened by a guy who studied martial arts for a while and thought, "Hey, I'll open a school."
    Tell everyone how many instructors have blown through San Jose.

I have been stud at one Shaolin-Do or another for 13 years now, and I can say from my PERSONAL experience that I would recommend it to anyone.
    I wouldn't and considering the stuff that went down, I never would.

I am sure there are other good schools out there, but I like the Shaolin-Do's the best. I have learned an amazing amount from the Shaolin-Do's.
    They aren't Shaolin-do's,
    GMT claims the knowledge was handed down from generation to generation. Others claim that GMT made if all up. Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me. But if one man did make up this entire art all by himself ... now that would be impressive.
    *yawn* There is a court document that exists where he SAID things were made up. You chose to post, so please don't retort with "I don't care" or "it doesn't matter" because you would have left the thread alone.
    Rabbit made a mistake, there is an ex-instructor or two on the board.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 11:05am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New life to an old thread?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 11:27am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone googling the history of their art, like I did back in the day, decided to "prove us wrong" instead of lurking. I lurked.

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 12:58am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the original questions that FreshlyMinted asked are, "Is Grandmaster The legit?" and, "Should I study at one of his Shaolin-Do's?"

FreshlyMinted later said that did an internet search and found a lot of negative comments about GMT. First of all, anyone in the public eye will have their detractors. Try googling "Was Mother Teresa". I got as far as "was mot" and the search option "was mother teresa a jerk" was the 3rd most common search option that popped up. Guess what! There are a ton of websites saying Mother Teresa was a jerk. And look at some of the criticisms of GMT. That he has mullet? Really? Who (other than the guy posting) cares? ... Calling the school a McDojo? Name-calling? Really? ... Another thing people do is take GMT's words out of context and pick them apart and say he does not have "corroborating evidence" for his claims. There are no records of GMT's instructor at the Fukien Temple because there are NO records at the Fukien Temple. They were destroyed, probably when the Temple was destroyed. I recently did my personal genealogy, and there is no paperwork that my grandfather ever existed, but I'm pretty sure he did, 'cause here I am. (By the way ... 20 years ago people thought the Fukien Temple was a myth because there was no "corroborating" evidence for it. The Temple was rediscovered in 1995.)

But the real question is NOT, "Is GMT legit?" There real question is, "Should FreshlyMinted join the Shaolin-Do?" 13 years ago, I lived in San Jose, and I was asking myself the same thing. I looked at all the other schools in the area and finally joined the San Jose Shaolin Center, one of GMT's school. I choose the Shaolin Center because it WAS a "McDojo." It was one of a network of successful schools and not just a single Dojo opened by a guy who studied martial arts for a while and thought, "Hey, I'll open a school."

Whatever school FreshlyMinted ended up joining, I hope he or she enjoyed the experience and was enriched by it.
    "I have been stud" at many a schools myself ! But say no to the do!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123