Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 10:47am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pacquiao did win the election, according to the Philippine Inquirer:

Pacquiao ready to fight Mayweather after election win

MANILA, Philippines—World boxing champion Manny Pacquiao announced Wednesday that he wanted to face Floyd Mayweather for his last professional fight after launching a political career in the Philippines.
    A Pacquiao-Mayweather clash, which US promoter Bob Arum said could take place on November 13 in Texas or Las Vegas, would likely generate one of the biggest purses and television audiences in boxing history.
    "Many fans really want me to fight Floyd Mayweather so I asked my Mama if we can give them one more fight, she said okay," Pacquiao said in an interview with broadcaster ABS-CBN.
    Pacquiao, 31, is one of the world's highest-paid athletes and fans are clamoring for a clash with former champion Mayweather, 33, to determine who is the greatest welterweight of their generation.
    Negotiations for a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight fell through earlier this year when the American insisted on Olympic-style random drug testing, which the Filipino rejected as too intrusive before a bout.
    Pacquiao secured a landslide win in national elections on Monday for a seat representing the southern province of Sarangani.
    US promoter Bob Arum, who flew to Sarangani to watch Pacquiao campaign for Monday's election, told the Manila Standard newspaper he had blocked out November 13 at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium and the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
    "The cable television companies and satellite providers have put the date aside for us, so the table is set," said the flamboyant Top Rank boss.
    Pacquiao defeated Ghana's Joshua Clottey to retain his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight belt in the United States in March, and has now won 12 consecutive fights, eight by knockout.
    Last year, Pacquiao was listed by Forbes magazine as the world's sixth highest paid athlete, earning 40 million dollars in the 12 months to June 2009.
    He was among dozens of celebrities who ran for positions, ranging from president to town councilor, in national elections across the boxing-mad Philippines, one of Asia's most boisterous democracies.
    Looking forward to seeing him finally fight Mayweather.
    Last edited by tbubar; 5/13/2010 10:49am at . Reason: cleaned up article tags

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much would training for a fight interfere with his political duties? I'm not really sure how the PI system works, when does he officially get started? It sounds like his next match will really be his last.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2010 1:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know, he's practically been a politician there for years now, so I don't see it affecting his fighting that much.

also, if their congressional schedules are anything like our's , he'll probably be able to train even more.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12