Posted On:
    5/17/2010 10:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    That's not what I asked.

I asked you "Why do you think he would advocate biting over GnP?"
    Sorry, I thought you might have understood from my posts that I do not know that answer. And I am completely baffled. In a more recent post I asked for help if anyone had it. The videos shown on this thread were the only ones I had access to, I did not see the full videos in full context (which is why I asked if I was missing something).

From what I saw, I can only think of two reasons why Paul is showing biting from mount and from side control (over GNP).

1) Because he honestly believes that if you bite someone from mount or side control that they would be so demoralized that it would end the fight and they would just lie there thus allowing you to run away.

I don't believe this one cause of all the points that I brought up previously. But who knows

2) Paul wanted to make a full biting video and needed "Filler Techniques" to fill up tape time. I've seen many MA Instructors teach crappy techniques on a video just to take up time to add value to their video package.

Again I have already said I don't have the best answer cause I haven't seen the full videos.

Perhaps you could explain what is wrong with what Paul teaches as far as knife fighting.
    Nothing is wrong with what he taught, there just seems to be something creepy about Paul

Then, you might want to consider that if you have to quote someone else on knife fighting, you don't know enough about knife fighting yourself to actually comment on it...and should probably shut the **** up.
    You might want to consider that when debating back and forth (especially over the internet) about techniques, having an authority on a subject who backs your view points adds to the power of your arguments. Granted you don't know how to argue or make a point, so I can see how the concept of quoting others would be completely lost on you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 10:20am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post

You might want to consider that when debating back and forth (especially over the internet) about techniques, having an authority on a subject who backs your view points adds to the power of your arguments. Granted you don't know how to argue or make a point, so I can see how the concept of quoting others would be completely lost on you.
    This is you not Der.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2010 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, and I'm the one who apparently has no ability for critical thinking!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maofas
    I think he advocates it because he doesn't have to posture up and get bridge n' rolled off. Instead he can maintain his base and bite.

Interesting. It looks like you're actually able to think for yourself. I'm impressed.
    First off this was mentioned in the video, so thinking for oneself here goes out the window. Secondly it was also mentioned that you use a high mount to prevent being bridged, then you GnP. A low mount (for biting) makes you very suceptible to being bridged, that is why you grapevine the legs.

Quote:
    That's a valid point, except that you could do the same thing with an Ezekiel choke (which is so simple even I could do it when I couldn't yet apply ANY other sub in Judo) and not get their dirty blood in your mouth.

Hmmm. Well thought criticism. I'll mention that when I train with him next month.
    No, actually it isn't. If you fucking thought for a second DA108 you would know that this would never fly. In order for an Ezekiel Choke to substitute a bite I'm sure that Maofas was referring to a No Gi Ezekiel choke. Because you can't go everywhere with your leather motor cycle jacket (to substitute you Gi). Anyway, a no gi Ezekiel choke is difficult to pull off and is not a very high percentage move. I don't think to many BJJ black belts would advocate a no gi Ezekiel choke in a life or death situation. Also even if you did pull it off, it would take a lot longer than a bite therefore still making it a poor substitute.

You are welcome in advance for saving you the embarrassment of asking him that in person.

Quote:
    Has he got more reasons?

Several, unfortunately, they aren't very apparent when you watch a brief video clip taken completely out of context.
    Then why don't you ELABORATE then if you have the proper context....

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 12:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I thought you might have understood from my posts that I do not know that answer. And I am completely baffled.
    What was understood from your posts was that since he advocated something you didn't understand, obviously Paul Vunak must be full of ****.

Example:

To think that I used to quote this guy when it came to knife fighting

"colour me delusioned" :sad8::sad8:
    In a more recent post I asked for help if anyone had it. The videos shown on this thread were the only ones I had access to, I did not see the full videos in full context (which is why I asked if I was missing something).
    This was, of course, after you'd already demonstrated your pseudoskepticism.

Again I have already said I don't have the best answer cause I haven't seen the full videos.
    Do you normally pass judgement on things you don't understand before attempting to understand them?

Judging by your post history, that's exactly the case.

Nothing is wrong with what he taught, there just seems to be something creepy about Paul
    Really? That's not what this quote sounds like:

To think that I used to quote this guy when it came to knife fighting

"colour me delusioned" :sad8::sad8:
    You might want to consider that when debating back and forth (especially over the internet) about techniques, having an authority on a subject who backs your view points adds to the power of your arguments.
    No, that's actually a fallacy called "Appeal to Authority". If you have to rely on Paul Vunak's words in order to win a debate on knife fighting technique, it shows that you do not have enough training and understanding about knife fighting yourself. Which means you should probably not be discussing knife...ie. shut the **** up.

I already called you on this before when you brought Paul Vunak into a discussion on Japanese Koryu swordwork. Your comments there showed you had absolutely no understanding of both Japanese Koryu and absolutely no understanding of what Paul Vunak teaches.

If Paul's teachings on knife are good, they are good in and of themselves, not because he is Paul Vunak.

Likewise, if what you say is right, it is right in and of itself, not because you use the same words as Paul Vunak.

Granted you don't know how to argue or make a point, so I can see how the concept of quoting others would be completely lost on you.
    Actually, I have a degree and professional training in arguing and making points. If you had that training, you would see that I don't have to offer counterarguments to find the massive holes in yours and point them out.

In order for an Ezekiel Choke to substitute a bite I'm sure that Maofas was referring to a No Gi Ezekiel choke.
    You might want to stop assuming what constraints someone else is placing on their own theoretical assumptions.

Anyway, a no gi Ezekiel choke is difficult to pull off and is not a very high percentage move. I don't think to many BJJ black belts would advocate a no gi Ezekiel choke in a life or death situation.
    Hm. Kind of like biting.

Also even if you did pull it off, it would take a lot longer than a bite therefore still making it a poor substitute.
    So you advocate the bite as a tactic over a technique like an Ezekiel choke?

Fascinating.

You are welcome in advance for saving you the embarrassment of asking him that in person.
    You have my humblest thanks.

Then why don't you ELABORATE then if you have the proper context....
    Because you still haven't learned.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway, a no gi Ezekiel choke is difficult to pull off and is not a very high percentage move. I don't think to many BJJ black belts would advocate a no gi Ezekiel choke in a life or death situation. Also even if you did pull it off, it would take a lot longer than a bite therefore still making it a poor substitute.
    I'm going to disagree with you on the value of no-gi Ezekiel for now. I'm happy to be wrong & know better if an experienced grappler wants to explain why it's bad though.

I'm obviously not the best grappler with 2.2 years of Judo, but that's kind-of my point. I've only rolled no-gi about 5x and the only sub I was landing was Ezekiel...ergo any idiot should be able to do this choke. And while I'm not tapping elite grapplers with it (or anything else), they're people who are in shape and actually train BJJ or MMA, so I'm confidant I could choke some random fool with it no problem.

Seriously, how is this difficult compared to any other sub?

YouTube- Erik Paulson Instructional

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 10:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hmmm. Well thought criticism. I'll mention that when I train with him next month.
    Is he going to be in your hometown? Or are you flying out there?
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 6:12am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm flying out there.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 6:24am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A no-gi ezekiel has a massive advantage over a bite in that it will actually incapacitate your opponent should you land it, rather than just making him bleed into your mouth.

While it's not a hugely popular move it's definitely pretty high-percentage for those that actually train it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 7:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was understood from your posts was that since he advocated something you didn't understand, obviously Paul Vunak must be full of ****.
    Yes, Der if someone tends to use one line of thinking, and at another point says something that goes against that line of thinking, somebody can call them out on it.

Do you normally pass judgement on things you don't understand before attempting to understand them?

Judging by your post history, that's exactly the case.
    I tend to use critical thinking, and seeing how this is a forum where people express their opinions frequently, I express my thoughts openly. If I'm wrong I'm wrong if I'm right I'm right. I never said I have all the answers?

No, that's actually a fallacy called "Appeal to Authority". If you have to rely on Paul Vunak's words in order to win a debate on knife fighting technique, it shows that you do not have enough training and understanding about knife fighting yourself. Which means you should probably not be discussing knife...ie. shut the **** up.
    Really Der? Appeal to Authority fallacy?? First of all Appeal to Authority is a strategy, because now if someone were to disagree with me, they would also have to prove that Paul Vunak was wrong. The fallacy in appeal to authority is ONLY if the authority is wrong.

Here is Wikipedia's definition, I'll highlight the important parts

Appeal to authority is a fallacy of defective induction, where it is argued that a statement is correct because the statement is made by a person or source that is commonly regarded as authoritative. The most general structure of this argument is:
    Source A says that p is true.
    Source A is authoritative.
    Therefore, p is true.
    This is a fallacy because the truth or falsity of the claim is not necessarily related to the personal qualities of the claimant, and because the premises can be true, and the conclusion false (an authoritative claim can turn out to be false). It is also known as argumentum ad verecundiam (Latin: argument to respect) or ipse dixit (Latin: he himself said it). [1]
    On the other hand, arguments from authority are an important part of informal logic. Since we cannot have expert knowledge of many subjects, we often rely on the judgments of those who do. There is no fallacy involved in simply arguing that the assertion made by an authority is true. The fallacy only arises when it is claimed or implied that the authority is infallible in principle and can hence be exempted from criticism.

I in no way ever claimed that Vunak was infallible.

I already called you on this before when you brought Paul Vunak into a discussion on Japanese Koryu swordwork. Your comments there showed you had absolutely no understanding of both Japanese Koryu and absolutely no understanding of what Paul Vunak teaches.
    This thread was started by an OP who watched too much anime thinking that people might hold a sword in reverse grip from start to finish in a fight. I drew a parallel to how people believe that reverse grip knife fighting was also cool and advantageous, yet falls under the same umbrella as reverse grip sword.

If Paul's teachings on knife are good, they are good in and of themselves, not because he is Paul Vunak.

Likewise, if what you say is right, it is right in and of itself, not because you use the same words as Paul Vunak.
    Typically in bullshido if someone has a video to back up what they say, it tends to give them alot of weight. Because Paul has an excellent clip regarding knife fighting which is readily available on you tube. It makes him an easy authority to use during a debate.

Actually, I have a degree and professional training in arguing and making points. If you had that training, you would see that I don't have to offer counterarguments to find the massive holes in yours and point them out.
    You have a degree, and the best you come up with is STFU?

So you advocate the bite as a tactic over a technique like an Ezekiel choke?

Fascinating.
    Since the start I've been advocating GNP or eyegouge from mount, I still feel that ezekiel choke would still have too much set up time

You have my humblest thanks.
    You're welcome

Because you still haven't learned.
    Learned what?

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast