Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 11:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

help me with Knife selection!

I am giving away my knife to my girlfriend, who has a summer job in D.C. I am commuting to work on a bicycle and definitely do not want to be without a knife. Do you guys have any tips? No guns. Long story. Here is the situation:

A. CWP would solve all my problems; fixblades, etc all legal as long as it is concealed. However, its expensive and I am not going to spend money just so I can carry a different knife.

B.
    Florida knife law in a nutshell is (BTW I'm not a lawyer!):
    1. plastic knives are okay
    2. common pocketknives are okay
    2.5. common pocketknife definition is not elaborated.
    (It sounds like depending on WHO you are or WHAT you look like, cops and jury will basically interpret that however they want.)

C.
    This is the kind of knife I would need
    1. It needs to be slim so I will barely notice it while wearing it
    2. It needs to be very concealable; IWB when I need to (like when I'm at work, so no one can even see the clip), while wearing a thin summer suit.
    3. A well cutting blade, karambit type good, tanto type bad.
    4. Must deploy quickly with one hand. Preferably a assisted opening or emerson-type mechanism
    5. Not too expensive
    6. A knife that looks very civilian, very non-combat like is plus. Even though "tactical" knives are designed more as tools than weapons.

Currently I carry a Spyderco Endura with the wave feature. 2.75" blade with very thin profile. I loved it and I would have it everywhere because it would not bulk up my pocket. I am looking for something that thin. This is the knife being given to my GF.

I thought about some non-metallic "plastic" knives but most of them are fixblades that are too big. One option on my mind right now is the Hissatsu Folder from CRKT, but it sounds like the grip area is too bulky for my needs. Emerson La Griffe would be perfect but I am not sure a fixblade qualifies as "common pocket knife."

Any thoughts? BTW here are the pictures of the knives I've mentioned

Help please! MTripp?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 11:07pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the Spyderco Delica, not the Endura. The Endura is just shy of 4 inches. ;)

Why not get another Delica? They are great knives and the price is not too tough on the wallet.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 1:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bad. I came back on this thread because I realized it was a Delica. I actually used to have an Endura that I ended up giving away as a gift.

I thought about getting another Delica; to be honest I used to jump from knife to knife until I got the Delica as a gift. I think I would like something with a bit more "power," like an emerson Karambit folder but that particular knife looks too "nasty," which under the eyes of Florida law is all that matters.

anyone own the hissatsu folder? How thick is that grip?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 7:30am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own and carry the Hissatsu folder. Honestly I am a big fan. AUS 8 Steel can be sharpened to a razor's edge. The handle is nice and full sized, very easy to keep a hold of. The blade is double locked so its very sturdy when opened. The Assisted Opening is a torsion bar that activates at 30 degrees, not a spring or button, so it legal is most places and the blade < 4".

My 2 downsides. The assisted opening torsion bar takes a little getting used to. You push the thumb knub forward rather than out.

Also, you have to keep this knife oiled and clean more than some of the other pocket knives out there. I actually had a time when I got lazy on the maintenance and the knife would no longer open. Every month or so I have to use a Q-tip to clean out the dust, then take a second Q-tip with TUF-Glide on it.

Also to be clear, for the OP's g/f, here in DC the knife legal length is 3" so if she going to carry a pocket knife here make sure its legal length. I don't carry the Hissatsu Folder when I go to the city because its over the legal length (I know you are giving here a pocket knife under 3" so she should be ok). If she is just coming to the DC metro area, ie Northern Virginia or Southern Maryland she is ok with a bigger knife. Maryland is < 4" and Virginia has no legal size limit.

Edit: Looks like Hissatsu is coming up with something in the 3" range. But its still in preorder. http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st....html?s=CR2900
    Last edited by Plasma; 5/11/2010 7:41am at .

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to jump on this bandwagon. I have been carrying a Spyderco Dragonfly for the past several years and I love it, but it is just a wee bit too small. It has a plastic handle which has been very durable, but I would like something with a bit more weight behind it so that I can better keep track of it.

I don't need a much bigger blade, no more than 3" for sure, but an extra 1/2" or so on the handle definitely wouldn't hurt. (Dragonfly is 3 7/32" handle, 2 5/16" blade and aus-8)

Spyderco's website sucks balls if you're trying to just browse, anyone have suggestions?
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 10:15am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here is my thought you like Spiderco. You like Krambits
    Spiderco Krambit.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks too much like something used to gut things, I really want more of a nondescript everyday carry. The Delica looks about the size, anyone have experience with one of these?

Spyderco Delica G-10
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 10:34am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    That looks too much like something used to gut things, I really want more of a nondescript everyday carry. The Delica looks about the size, anyone have experience with one of these?

Spyderco Delica G-10

Owned one for a few years. Excellent knife. Strongly recommended.

It is very well made, easy to handle, doesn't look too "tactical", doesn't freak the boss out if he sees me using it to cut up a piece of plastic or breaking down a box. I've given it a few good workouts, the steel holds its edge phenomenally well. You can get a trainer for it as well.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 10:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I ever feel like spending money on something (essentially) superfluous Sog's Blink is going to be my next pocketknife. I don't care about the assisted opening, but I like the fact it's very small (2.25" blade is legal just about anyplace that has a limit and more importantly it's clearly under 3" because cops don't carry rulers with them and just guesstimate across the palm of their hand) yet with a decent-sized handle to grip it by (I really hate feeling like I'm gripping some shitty keychain knife) + sog's clip design that makes the entire knife sit in your pocket, just about invisible.

Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools BBA-99 Blink: Home Improvement

Incredibly thin and light, hopefully it's still sturdy!

I carry a Spyderco Tenacious since I lost my 10+ year old Delica somehow and it's a decent buy (basically a $60 knife for $30), but a little too big for t-shirt weather. Good for colder weather when you have a coat pocket to slip it into though.
    Last edited by maofas; 5/11/2010 10:54am at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm.. I like the dragonfly, and I wish the tenacious came in wave. Or maybe I can just put on a zip-tie to turn it into one..

The Delica is amazingly useful. The VG-10 holds edge very well. My grip is blue, I like how non-threatening it looks. BTW, do get the one with Emerson-wave feature. It deploys like a fixed-blade once you get used to it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast