Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiocfaidharla View Post
    based on the content of your posts, martial arts has clearly taught you nothing, least of all patience, or humility. I feel sorry for the dojo that finally accepts you.
    Interesting thread for your first post. I am wondering what your interest in K2 is, considering there is a personal insult and disregarding the situation as presented by the OP.

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huck-chuck View Post
    I was thinking I could just change my bank account number and endure a few calls and ignore the problem. Any suggestions or advice?
    What does your membership agreement actually state? If you signed a contract for 12 months it doesn't matter what you believed the terms were, for whatever reason.

If you ignore the problem, it may be passed to a collection agency and it will have a bad effect on your credit rating. It will come back on you if you want financing in the future (credit card, loan, car, house, etc.).

I would suggest that you approach them again, perhaps over the phone or in person and try to resolve it. You would have to see what options they have. They may offer a "courtesy" cancellation fee to terminate your contract; you could go on Facebook to ask if other members would like to buy our your six months (i.e. replace yourself on the mats) or even just stick it out for the last six months if that is feasible for you.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiocfaidharla View Post
    just to be clear with respect to your rant about K2, many martial arts schools use member solutions as an admin company to deal with membership fees etc. The practice of your membership being sold off to them is extremely commonplace and allows dojos to get your membership fees up front rather than waiting for your monthly payment which you may or may not in your case make.
    unfortunately if you want to train in smaller clubs where they spend the students money on programs instead of administration you need to expect that there can be delays.
    based on the content of your posts, martial arts has clearly taught you nothing, least of all patience, or humility. I feel sorry for the dojo that finally accepts you.
    Do us all a favor and read the thread. Delays happen 2 months is hiding and shady business practices.

Oh and [email protected] company fault. If you have a BBB of an F that means there is more going on.

Style
    Grappling/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Government of Ontario has a website for consumer protection and it specifically addresses the issues with "Fitness Clubs" which includes martial arts school. Here's the link http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Page...ess_Clubs.aspx

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone have some more recent experience they can share? We have reached our limit with this business and want to cancel our child's membership ASAP. We have no problem with the instruction, but huge problems with a lack of transparancy and communication, and finally lies followed by the accustion that we weren't showing enough committment or following the ever-changing rules.

For the first year we were told that to gain a stripe towards belt promotion our child had to attend eight classes in a month, two of them during stripe week. Within the last year we were told that to get a stripe, they had to attend eight classes in a month but belt testing night counted as class#1 towards the following month, not class #8, and finally, yesterday we were told that it was eight classes in a month and NONE of the classes during stripe week counted towards that month's promotion. So, my child attended five classes in early August, went to camp for a week, came back attended FOUR consecutive classes during stripe week and was told that they didn't count and he wasn't working hard enough.

They have never given us anything in writing and it isn't posted anywhere. Going to cancel my membership and complain to the BBB.

Advice anyone? Anyone know of a decent dojo for kids in Ottawa?

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Briston View Post
    Does anyone have some more recent experience they can share? We have reached our limit with this business and want to cancel our child's membership ASAP. We have no problem with the instruction, but huge problems with a lack of transparancy and communication, and finally lies followed by the accustion that we weren't showing enough committment or following the ever-changing rules.

For the first year we were told that to gain a stripe towards belt promotion our child had to attend eight classes in a month, two of them during stripe week. Within the last year we were told that to get a stripe, they had to attend eight classes in a month but belt testing night counted as class#1 towards the following month, not class #8, and finally, yesterday we were told that it was eight classes in a month and NONE of the classes during stripe week counted towards that month's promotion. So, my child attended five classes in early August, went to camp for a week, came back attended FOUR consecutive classes during stripe week and was told that they didn't count and he wasn't working hard enough.

They have never given us anything in writing and it isn't posted anywhere. Going to cancel my membership and complain to the BBB.

Advice anyone? Anyone know of a decent dojo for kids in Ottawa?
    Sounds like it is more of inconsistency with the understanding of kids'stripe requirements than shady business practices. in terms of a decent school, which MA schools are within reasonable commuting distance from you?

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ottawa Academy of Marial Arts (OAMA) has a kids program and one of the top MA clubs in Ottawa (owner is a Renzo Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt, doesnt get much better than that) one of there students even fought in the UFC.

Style
    muay thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    N1 Thai Boxing on Preston has started offering kid's classes. And I popped into Final Round Boxing tonight (it's in Chinatown now) and there was a full on kid's boxing class. FIT MMA started kids jits a while back and have legit blackbelts there now. I've met the owners of all 3 of those clubs and they're all stand up guys. The OAMA guys seem like cool cats too.

Page 4 of 4 First 1234