Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

K2 Martial Arts in Ottawa

Has anyone trained at K2 Martial Arts in Ottawa? What do you think of their Machado BJJ program?

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never been there but judging purely from the website i am not too keen.

Cant find any training schedule or how much it costs. And this whole "boost your confidence and health and and and" seems a bit excessive.

Normally clubs will allow you to try 1 or 2 classes to see if its for you, and then let you know of what gear you need, where to get it and how much it is. I dont know of any place that will give you free "$150 worth of services and products" just for checking them out.

Try it out and see if you like it, worst case you get 2 weeks of free training and a free gi.

Are you new to MA ?, looking for something specific ?

Style
    Judo Sandbagger
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I gather - it is either a rebranding of Therian JJ as BJJ, or they want a piece of the BJJ pie and have now accomplished the add on BJJ program to the existing School.

I've seen this often with Karate - give them a BJJ blue after a course or camp, and teach BJJ under their system, but I have not seen this with a whole JJ system yet.

Thanks for letting me know!

KO'd

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K2? seriously? .. why would you do such a blatant ripoff? It was bad enough when I came across a 'K1 gym'.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K2 runs all type of family orientated martial arts classes with kick boxing and BJJ (Carlos Machado). They also have a SFC (submission fighting concepts) class for adults. Good school. IMHO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this place is actually really good...I've tried out pretty much all the schools in Ottawa and this one is now my home... they definitely do not give out belts easily in BJJ... most of us are still sporting our white belts. It's standard BJJ program... takes a loong time to advance.

they have a great flexible schedule because you get access to two schools (therien in parkdale and k2 in barrhaven) and they recently added cage fitness too which is a great supplement to training(and a killer workout). It's perfect for people starting out in martial arts and the Barrhaven school is still pretty new so the program is developing all the time... I find the instructors pretty receptive to feedback too. There are a few serious trainers at the dojo and they make sure if you want to fight you have access to extra training if you want it. I know they brought one guy training for a hybrid fight to montreal a couple of times to train at GSP\s gym . The BJJ program is only twice weekly right now but they are adding some more training options soon i think....but theres mma no-gi that bjj peeps can also go to.
    Anyways overall it's a great family place, perfect for anyone starting out in martial arts and also has plenty of opportunity for training those who want to fight (I've been there a year and already had two fights)...as for the name, I like it ...they named it after the mountains!
    but yeah...it's legit and the owners are there all the time and teach all the classes, especially Chris. It's probably the only place in town that has something for everyone....and is not intimidating. I think they are trying to rebrand themselves exclusively as K2...but 2 of the co-owners were owners of other therien schools...so I am not sure where thats headed now...but anyways it's a great spot. I train pretty much exclusively at barrhaven now....cause the venue is sweet -huge space and new.... and I feel like its family out there!!

Style
    In transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by quwest1 View Post
    K2 runs all type of family orientated martial arts classes with kick boxing and BJJ (Carlos Machado). They also have a SFC (submission fighting concepts) class for adults. Good school. IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by lbatt01 View Post
    this place is actually really good...I've tried out pretty much all the schools in Ottawa and this one is now my home... they definitely do not give out belts easily in BJJ... most of us are still sporting our white belts. It's standard BJJ program... takes a loong time to advance.

they have a great flexible schedule because you get access to two schools (therien in parkdale and k2 in barrhaven) and they recently added cage fitness too which is a great supplement to training(and a killer workout). It's perfect for people starting out in martial arts and the Barrhaven school is still pretty new so the program is developing all the time... I find the instructors pretty receptive to feedback too. There are a few serious trainers at the dojo and they make sure if you want to fight you have access to extra training if you want it. I know they brought one guy training for a hybrid fight to montreal a couple of times to train at GSP\s gym . The BJJ program is only twice weekly right now but they are adding some more training options soon i think....but theres mma no-gi that bjj peeps can also go to.
    Anyways overall it's a great family place, perfect for anyone starting out in martial arts and also has plenty of opportunity for training those who want to fight (I've been there a year and already had two fights)...as for the name, I like it ...they named it after the mountains!
    but yeah...it's legit and the owners are there all the time and teach all the classes, especially Chris. It's probably the only place in town that has something for everyone....and is not intimidating. I think they are trying to rebrand themselves exclusively as K2...but 2 of the co-owners were owners of other therien schools...so I am not sure where thats headed now...but anyways it's a great spot. I train pretty much exclusively at barrhaven now....cause the venue is sweet -huge space and new.... and I feel like its family out there!!
    Smells like some school's owner is looking to drum up publicity.

OP, Ottawa is one of those big cities up in Canada, it shouldn't be hard to find at least one legit BJJ place. I'll find one right now.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bj...ottawa-948833/ which refers to here:
    http://www.oama.ca/home.php?site=bjj

Renzo FTW, I say.

Style
    Watching from the stands
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    Smells like some school's owner is looking to drum up publicity.

OP, Ottawa is one of those big cities up in Canada, it shouldn't be hard to find at least one legit BJJ place. I'll find one right now.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bj...ottawa-948833/ which refers to here:
    http://www.oama.ca/home.php?site=bjj

Renzo FTW, I say.

I've seen some of his students compete in W-1 in Quebec, seems like a pretty good instructor. I've also heard some good things about Team Bushido.

http://ottawammaonline.com/About.php

I'm not a student at either, just giving my opinion on what I've seen firsthand and read about.

Oh yeah, Ottawa isn't a big city, but our council likes to act like it is.

Style
    Grappling/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Memo to iamfeiner:

If you want some exercise and want an introduction to bjj then K2 may be a good school for you. However, if you're really serious about learning bjj then there are several other choices in Ottawa.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappyhead View Post
    I've seen some of his students compete in W-1 in Quebec, seems like a pretty good instructor. I've also heard some good things about Team Bushido.

http://ottawammaonline.com/About.php

I'm not a student at either, just giving my opinion on what I've seen firsthand and read about.

Oh yeah, Ottawa isn't a big city, but our council likes to act like it is.
    Yeah Ottawa is not big! Pretty much boils down to east and west. Bushido is a good spot too for sure, I have a few friends there, especially for mma, kickboxing in that end of town prob NX. West Ottawa/central Ottawa I still like K2 the best, depends what your goals are but it's well rounded in all of it's programs and has the space to accommodate everyone. Machado is a machine, no different than Gracie..

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last