Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 4:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfg View Post
    Maybe just we two meet for some sparring, would like to learn something. What's your weight? I'm 72 Kg. A friend of mine will live 20 kilometers from the border soon and I can get there with him. And you come there then. I hope it's equally far away. If you don't want this I can come to you, but I don't want to bear the full costs of my trip. If I stay for 2 days you get me some place to sleep and it should be ok if I pay the whole trip.
    Ok for you?
    not really.
    i don't want to come across like an asshole but i probably will: to be honest, you don't seem like someone i could learn anything from by sparring you.
    i'm pretty sure it'd be a one sided beating and if im interested in that ill just behave like an asshole next saturday downtown in my own city.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 4:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay, ill see if I can attend the throwdown then.

To topic: We'll meet today and I expect it to be a friendly exchange about tai chi and fighting.

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 5:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay, ill see if I can attend the throwdown then.

To topic: We'll meet today and I expect it to be a friendly exchange about tai chi and fighting.
    will you video your sesson with this guy?
    i'd be interested to see it instead of just taking your word/side of the story.

try to be at the td, even if im not there, there's tons of other people you can learn a lot from.
    check out the throw down thread in the TDsection of the forums.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 5:28am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really would like to attend a throw down, but it's expensive and stressful and at the moment I have to heal my left knee, which hurts since I attended a tai chi workshop for 6 days and tried to please the teachers and didn't pay attention to my body.
    Just to make sure - you saw that the Euro Mega TD is in october, right? Plenty of time to recover. And to save money, if you really want to go.

Would be cool to see you there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That meeting was good. The guy was lives in a hippie settlement composed of small construction trailers in a little forest. There was a guy playing his foreign looking guitar as you'd expect it on a yoga retreat or something spiritual. We went into a huge cold tent with a wooden ground and talked a little about tai chi as a principle, went on to push hands in which he was gentle and pretty good, but not as good as I expected after what my teacher said(he's 145 lbs, I'm 160). Then I asked him to explain to me what cheng hsin is and show me something of it. I have never trained aikido, but from what I know and have seen it's pretty much the same. I asked him to use a throw on me which only made me make a step and for another throw I had to follow his arm, what I didn't get right so it also didn't work. He was aware that this only works with the opponent's compliance and said that he sometimes doesn't know what exactly they're practicing. He liked the idea to learn only to defend against stuff that would really hurt you or bring you in an inferior position. They have some ground components in cheng hsin but he said he doesn't like that they often stop they're practice when one partner is on the ground. So we laied out some old bent maps and I showed him a single and a double leg takedown which worked against him. Then I went on showing him some ground positions and basic submissions and in between we rolled lightly. He had no idea of ground fighting and proper takedown defence, i got him with an armbar, an omoplata and with this YouTube- Brian Morgan: Reverse Triangle from the Back
    He had a good intuition for keeping and gaining positions and for choke defence, used a guillotine choke but he didn't get an rnc done when I wanted him to and gassed out quickly because of noob spazz. He likes free rolling and asked me if I could introduce this to his cheng hsin group, which is only he and 2 other guys.
    I couldn't broaden my horizon, but I broadened his.

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 11:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'd say it's usually not a very good idea to teach/instruct groundwork unless you're experienced.
    the hippy tai chi village sounds pretty trippy.
    where there hot chicks too?
    the types that do shave their legs?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw one woman there, the type that doesn't shave her legs. That place WAS trippy, a great place to relax. I won't teach them much, they don't like to get too technical. I'll just show them submissions and positions and not how they get there. I can't instruct transitions and submission setups it's mostly intuitive for me. Since they want to train an internal martial art I think we will focus more on how stuff feels and what's going on in the mind, how to concentrate better and so on.
    What am I doing to your beloved grappling?

What's that, I feel... there's a rant coming up...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll tell you before your rant. I'm happy if the other 2 guys will accept this kind of training. It has PAIN and CHOKES in it, you know. They are pure internal martial artists and I can't expect more from them. Good night.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    5/12/2010 8:41pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't crappling better then Nothing?

If I think back, crapplers could destroy me on the ground in backyard wrestling, (the best kind) before I started BJJ

Posted On:
    5/13/2010 2:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Isn't crappling better then Nothing?

If I think back, crapplers could destroy me on the ground in backyard wrestling, (the best kind) before I started BJJ
    Well it depends what you want.
    If you just want to fool aroundthere's no harm in it i suppose.
    BUT if later on in life you'd like to learn proper grappling, its kinda annoying to first unlearn.
    its easier coming in blank then to unlearn nasty habits.

when i was teaching SD i didnt teach any groundwork at all, only after my bjj teacher dropped by to see what kinda classes i taught he said it was okay for me to incorporate this or that.
    I'm really serious when it comes to teaching, i dont want to teach people who are paying me for it any bs cos it would make me a fraud.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast