Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 7:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cufaol View Post
    It's the same over here in Belgium as well. (not that this country actually matters in the grappling world, or any other world for that matter) There are almost no more wrestling schools who teach traditional greco-roman or freestyle wrestling anymore, while there used to be a lot of them some 30 to 40 odd years ago. As far as I can tell, only judo is still widely available. And they too, are losing ground to Bjj. It's a very unfortunate evolution indeed.
    lolwut?
    don't talk bout stuff you dont know anything about.
    belgium had an awesome judo dude who had his school in i believe turnhout.
    his name escapes me now but he's prob in his 60ies now.
    greco roman and western boxing lost ground?
    they never had that much ground to begin with.
    though boxing was always bigger in belgium then it was in holland.

in holland we got introduced with 'eastern' ma's since the 30ies early 40ies.
    im taught judo by people who come directly from the line Bluming and Ruska.
    They did proper groundwork with old school rules and dirtylocks that are illegal to use nowadays, but its still alive. (the knowledge that is)
    I was taught groundwork from two dudes from russia and hungary, neither one of em had a neck, it was awesome.

Then i switched to boxing, sanda and mt, cos i liked punching people better.
    A friend of mine in the meantime started the bjj, and by the time he had a blue belt invited me over.
    so i dusted off my gi, went to train and sparred.
    the blue belts folded me up without too much trouble, BUT the other white belts couldnt sub me.

bjj and judo arent some kinda rivals over here, and ive never heared anyone screaming zhoo zhitsu, or go on about awesome groundwork and the superiority of the bjj.

again im convinced its an american cultural thing.
    keep in mind i live in a unicity with loads of exchange students, over the years ive trained with lots of americans and what not.
    im sorry to say that the americans are usually the overconfident loudmouth types we love to beat up over here.

i think thats the whole thing when it comes to ma's: americans are really easily exciteble people who are willing to pay a shitload of money, hence them brazilians hop over to the usa.
    i dont think that if the gracies would have started their tour in europe they would have been so succesfull in money making.

my overall point would be: jst do the style what you like and be proficient in it instead of jumping every new bandwagon that rolls along.
    i think Tripp will agree with me when i say in my country we got a bunch of judokas who can give any bjj dude a run for his money.
    And ofcourse it works the other way around.

Bjj, Judo, Wrestling, Sambo, they all got something working for them, except bjj is superior in marketing.
    for sure.
    ;-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 12:54pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Or anything about Chelsea...... try this instead
    YouTube- To Be a Gooner

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 2:15pm

Style: Boxing/Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    lolwut?
    don't talk bout stuff you dont know anything about.
    belgium had an awesome judo dude who had his school in i believe turnhout.
    his name escapes me now but he's prob in his 60ies now.
    greco roman and western boxing lost ground?
    they never had that much ground to begin with.
    though boxing was always bigger in belgium then it was in holland.

in holland we got introduced with 'eastern' ma's since the 30ies early 40ies.
    im taught judo by people who come directly from the line Bluming and Ruska.
    They did proper groundwork with old school rules and dirtylocks that are illegal to use nowadays, but its still alive. (the knowledge that is)
    I was taught groundwork from two dudes from russia and hungary, neither one of em had a neck, it was awesome.

Then i switched to boxing, sanda and mt, cos i liked punching people better.
    A friend of mine in the meantime started the bjj, and by the time he had a blue belt invited me over.
    so i dusted off my gi, went to train and sparred.
    the blue belts folded me up without too much trouble, BUT the other white belts couldnt sub me.

bjj and judo arent some kinda rivals over here, and ive never heared anyone screaming zhoo zhitsu, or go on about awesome groundwork and the superiority of the bjj.

keep in mind i live in a unicity with loads of exchange students, over the years ive trained with lots of americans and what not.
    im sorry to say that the americans are usually the overconfident loudmouth types we love to beat up over here.

i think thats the whole thing when it comes to ma's: americans are really easily exciteble people who are willing to pay a shitload of money, hence them brazilians hop over to the usa.
    i dont think that if the gracies would have started their tour in europe they would have been so succesfull in money making.

my overall point would be: jst do the style what you like and be proficient in it instead of jumping every new bandwagon that rolls along.
    i think Tripp will agree with me when i say in my country we got a bunch of judokas who can give any bjj dude a run for his money.
    And ofcourse it works the other way around.

Bjj, Judo, Wrestling, Sambo, they all got something working for them, except bjj is superior in marketing.
    for sure.
    ;-)
    We indeed had an awesome judo dude, still have one btw(dirk van tichelt ofzo). What I was trying to say is that there used to be a least a fair number of greco-roman schools and they all but vanished. I think that is a loss, that's all. There still are a lot of boxing schools which is great. And granted, Bjj and judo aren't rivals, that's not what I said or meant. It's just that I've seen a lot of guys switching from judo to bjj recently. On the other hand, competition between bjj and judo is rather friendly in a "let's learn and train together"-kind of way. sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Btw, i do know what i'm talking about.

cheers mate

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 2:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cufaol View Post
    Btw, i do know what i'm talking about.
    No you don't.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 3:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    Lets get this straight, you think the U.S. has a monopoly on obnoxious loud-mouthed twats?

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 3:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Lets get this straight, you think the U.S. has a monopoly on obnoxious loud-mouthed twats?
    no, not like that, thats too black and white.
    bt i am convinced that the way american culture is like loudmouthed obnoxius twattish behaviour is unconciously encouraged/enabled.

yell zho zitsu during a european tournement and you'd shut up real quick cos people would be starng at you and let you know they think you're a twat.
    american culture is more of a loud flashy culture in comparison to european societies.
    we are more civilised.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    If you actually want to solve this non-issue of chanting or yelling "Zhoo Zhitsu!", directly opposing it is not the right way to go, and bitching about it is sure to make it happen more. ****, just watching Omega whine about it makes me want to start yelling it in judo tournaments.
    Seriously.
    I think I'll start calling his gym just to yell zoo zit sue.

As an amusing aside, the one guy I know who still really buys into the bjj superiority thing is in all likelihood a far better grappler than anyone on this site with more than a handful of posts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 5:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Seriously.
    I think I'll start calling his gym just to yell zoo zit sue.

As an amusing aside, the one guy I know who still really buys into the bjj superiority thing is in all likelihood a far better grappler than anyone on this site with more than a handful of posts.
    Yeah, I've watched a few of the guys one here completely miss the point, welcome to the peanut gallery.

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah i saw that too.
    that a lot of people missed the point.
    cos..you know...this thread was really about...mothers day, right?
    i knew that.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 6:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Would his natural skills and abilities translate to his success at any chosen style he might buy into is he only successful at BJJ because he buys into it?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast