Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, I tried out a Ju-Jitsu class today

I really enjoyed it.

Here are some of the things I observed

• Firstly, when I phoned to ask about the classes, where they take place, can I come and check it out, the guy on the other end of the line said that I'm more than welcome to come and train for two classes so that I can decide if it's something that I want to do.
    • It's halfway between work and home.
    • It's less than 1/3 of the cost I'm paying for my "_ing _un" classes at the moment.
    • It definitely doesn't feel like McDojo - the classes take place in a community sports center (there are gymnasts, kiddies judo, rugby fields, etc) and the instructor is clearly doing it because it's something that he loves.
    • It's an evenly matched class - most of the guys in this class are whites and yellows - 2 orange, 1 green, 1 brown.
    • The school takes part in national tournaments - one of the first things the sensei said in the class was he was reffing over the weekend and that the standards for blue and black belts are incredibly high, so the guys in that rank better have their game faces on, come nationals.
    • It was more a technical class - running drills, etc - as the guys are preparing for their grading in 2/3 weeks' time; however there was some partner grappling at the end of the session. I think it was for my benefit as I asked the sensei about the sparring/grappling side of the classes. I was partnered up with an orange belt of my build and he was very nice; didn't try to physically injure me or anything like that.
    • The sensei insists on cross training.
    • It's a relaxed (but not too relaxed) atmosphere and everyone was very open and welcoming towards me.

That's what I can think of for now.
    I'm going back on Wednesday (the sensei menttioned that they will be working on throws) for another class and then I'll make a decision.

Anything else I should look out for/ask for?

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japanese of Brazilian? Sounds like Japanese right?

well as the instructor encourages cross training that is a very good sign.

Also, is the sparring of mid to high intensity? If so its just another tick in the box
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, it's Japanese.

When you say sparring, do you mean the grappling bit or other forms of sparring?
    Didn't get to see too much of that - as I said they were running technique drills for grading purposes.

From what I could tell, the grappling was probably mid, because I didn't know my head from my ass. All I had to do was to not let my partner get me in a submission hold (I failed miserably :P) And I walked away from that with quite a sweat. Didn't see much of what the other guys were doing.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well imo mid intensity grappling is good.. I was referring to the grappling anyway.

seeing as your instructor encourages cross training why not take some boxing or judo? both are usually very cheap and widely available

EDIT: the choice you make should depend on which aspect of your overall jujitsu you want to improve
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cross-training is definitely the plan.

I've contacted a Judo instructor; left voicemail for him. I'll give him a shout tomorrow or Wednesday again if I haven't heard from him.

I've got my eye on a San Shou class where a friend from work trains. I've been to observe two classes and I'm just waiting for the end of the month to move over that side. From what I saw it'll be excellent for standing fighting.

I'm grading at the school where I'm currently at this month, so I want to complete that. Even if it doesn't really mean anything, it sort of justifies the time and money I spent there.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: Second Ju-Jitsu try-out class tonight. While the guys were practicing throws for grading, a green belt took me and taught me 4 falls and 2 throws. He was very patient with me and really worked on the technique behind each move. I caught on pretty quickly, so he asked the sensei after each thing if we could continue and what to continue with.

I got quite a good workout; I was sweating just from learning the falls.

I also told the sensei tonight that I want to come on board, full time. So, I carry on from next week Monday :)

I'm really stoked. I think I'm going to enjoy this a lot more.
    And combined with the San Shou.. I might just learn how to handle myself.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds really good man. Having good training partners is huge no matter what you train. Especially if theyre experienced. Ive had experiences with both bad and good partners. Gotta hate those people who dont even try to help you and just act all mad cause they were partnered with you. Thats why a couple of months later you tap them out :D. Gl with you JJ