232390 Bullies, 4008 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 8:19am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question isn't whether or not we see injury faking in other sports. It's whether or not we should tolerate it in this one.

And the answer to that is obvious; I watch, train, and judge MMA for many reasons, but largely because it's not Soccer, Basketball, or any other sport that penalizes you for playing rough and rewards you for falling down and crying.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 8:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bear in mind: in soccer there are 11 on 11, one ref and 2 linesmen = greater chance of flopping being successful. in basketball there is 5 on 5 with 3 refs again = greater chance of diving being successful.

In MMA it is 1 on 1 with 1 ref and three judges. flopping/diving/flailing shouldn't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 8:50am

Style: TKD/karate/jkd noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate cheaters on all sports and games, with one exception 1 player video games because I wanto to see the story too. There is no difference between this form of cheating and other styles of cheating, they are all cheap and crappy ways to get a win.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    So, so many pushups.
    AND the douche must flow....
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

:)

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 8:56am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking a dive, as it were, is fucking lame. Moreso in mma which is, to me, rightly held up as a bastion of honersble conflict.

Not putting on my Mr Rogers cardigan or anything, but saku, fedor, and other greats are/were very classy in their dispositions. The UFC has built it's wretched self into a drama machine. TUF is to mma what Jerry springer is/was to Investigative journalism.

It's the reason I usually watch anything before I'd sit through their events. Dana's doing a great disservice to mma, along with some of the douchebags he pushes. I miss Pride.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    The question isn't whether or not we see injury faking in other sports. It's whether or not we should tolerate it in this one.

And the answer to that is obvious; I watch, train, and judge MMA for many reasons, but largely because it's not Soccer, Basketball, or any other sport that penalizes you for playing rough and rewards you for falling down and crying.
    The problem is, and it is my core question:

IF it is accepted in so many other sports, and clearly it is, HOW do you keep it out of this one?
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 10:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post

IF it is accepted in so many other sports, and clearly it is, HOW do you keep it out of this one?
    I wouldn't say it is accepted, however many players will flop around to accentuate what they perceive as on-going, unnoticed flagrant fouling. The flopper is trying to get the ref to look his way more often and with one ref for 22 soccer players, there is a greater chance the ref won't see constant fouling.

In fighting it is 1 ref watching 2 fighters so less goes unnoticed.

In boxing, it is easier for a ref to see constant holding and hitting or low blows so sometimes you will see a fighter overact when they take a groin shot or thumb in the eye to get a few extra seconds of rest and have a point taken from the other guy. The ref will remember that last round he JUST warned the guy so obviously "the guy doesn't respect me so I'll show him!" and pull the trigger on a point snatch.

Main difference is in most boxing matches you have 10-12 round to make up for that lost point and in MMA you only have 3-5 so the penalty is greater. I think it is and will be the exception rather then the rule.

Koscheck and Daley reminded me of Haugen and Pazienza with all the trash talk and genuine dislike for one another before and after the fight.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 10:51am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post

It depends on your definition of accepted. IMO it isn't accepted in other sports. Just like MMA there is really nothing you can do about it and ridicule is about all that can be done. Hell, rule tweaking doesn't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 12:48pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    From UFC.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post

The sport is reaching a level now where professionalism and sportsmanship is a must for it to stay at the top of American sports culture. Unfortunately now that there is decent money to be made the martial artist will be placed on the back burner and the athlete will be brought to the forefront. Coaches and trainers will allow this to happen because their guy is making them money.

Unlike Japan which will take action at the club level. Aoki was removed from his position as a coach at his club in a public manner. This showed that his trainers cared about the image of the sport more than the individuals accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Taking a dive, as it were, is fucking lame. Moreso in mma which is, to me, rightly held up as a bastion of honersble conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post

Not putting on my Mr Rogers cardigan or anything, but saku, fedor, and other greats are/were very classy in their dispositions. The UFC has built it's wretched self into a drama machine. TUF is to mma what Jerry springer is/was to Investigative journalism.

It's the reason I usually watch anything before I'd sit through their events. Dana's doing a great disservice to mma, along with some of the douchebags he pushes. I miss Pride.

I don’t approve of these incidents where fighters pull idiotic stunts on camera such as Daley hitting Koschek after the bell or Jason Miller’s stupid antics after Strikeforce Nashville. I don’t want MMA compared to pro wrestling. Good that Daley was cut from UFC, I am not interested in disrespectful or unsportsmanlike (or criminal) conduct in MMA. What is next, some soap-opera style storyline about feuds between fighters, hitting each other with folding chairs at ringside? **** that garbage..

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/10/2010 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give me a break. Daley went for an illegal knee with serious intent. That knee may have only been a glancing blow but it didn't just whiff air and even an apparently glancing blow can have an effect. I also don't doubt that Daley was eye-gouging throughout, he had to be working something when he should have been working take down defense and he clearly didn't use that time appropriately.

Also, **** Daley. You spend more than a month insulting a guy and he says something so horrible in the last thirty seconds that you can't keep your head on right? Grow up and GTFO. You had 15 minutes to hit the guy, should have done it then.

Neither Hardy nor Daley earned their title shots or contender bouts and I'm glad one of them is gone.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast