Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2010 10:40pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got over the whole "fear shaky" thing by basically just not worrying about getting hurt.

Well, I do get a little shaky sometimes if I'm startled, but if I know a fight's coming or may be happening, I just stop giving a damn about what might happen.

I train sometimes in kendo and there's a little phrase about swordfighting that's pretty appropriate: "In a conflict between swords, the winner is the one who is cut the least."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 3:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fear is also a pretty helpful biological response. The OP mentioned a situation where it sounded advantageous to be afraid. all the MA in the world become pretty useless against 30 opponents.

Say someone has a knife to your back, and they're demanding that you give them your money. A person with any trace of self-preservation should give in to fear and hand their money over- EVEN if you're a fucking Krav Maga expert who has practiced that disarm 1,000,000 times.

I guess my point is, fear is a useful way to not get dead- especially on the street.

now to everyone talking about MA in a competitive setting, I agree with controlling your fear, but on the street, the only time it makes sense to gamble with your life and attempt to Bruce Lee someone is if you have to in order to leave with your life, or you have to in order to be able to run away safely.

or maybe I'm just a *****.

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 4:56am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a balance that needs to be struck between being too afraid and being too overconfident. Both will get you into real trouble and that's why full contact competition is the best method to show you your limits within a relatively safe environment.

Nothings perfect and nothings going to prepare everyone for everything but balls to the wall pressure testing through competing is on of the best ways to be prepared.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 5:15am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's fear during sparring then time and experience takes the fear away. But in a real fight or attack, when your adrenaline dumps and you can't think properly anymore. There is no way to stop this during a traumatic event. You will revert to your most basic functions geared for survival. If you have trained well, hopefully you will react in the right way. After you run away and survive, you can change your underwear.
    Real fear is not the sort of thing you can simply will away on the spot. It has to pass. IMO.

Competing will bring out the adrenaline dump so you can get used to working with it.
    With sparring, a lot of the time you won't have that feeling. But what our coach will sometimes do is make us all circle around and then he will pair us up and make us spar or grapple to a timer while everyone watches and he will score us out loud as we spar or roll. That really makes the adrenaline dump.
    Last edited by beardedtaco; 5/09/2010 5:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 9:16am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpo man View Post
    once i heard a quote from a martial artist "the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle". if u prepare yourself properly fear will not occur...only confidence and focus
    I disagree. ofc if you train properly and yadi yadi jada.. you will be better at fighting .. but fear and this damn adrenaline can hit you even before the fight starts. even if you know that you can beat the guy and even if there is no violence in sight. There must be other factors than just fighting ability. I get the feeling this martial artist haven't been in a actual fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 9:48am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I believe intelligence and fear are very close together. Guys who say they are not afraid of anything, they are stupid. They are silly to me...I am afraid of everything" - Rickson Gracie

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 10:57am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a few of us are landing in the same palce - that fear response is autonomic and you can't avoid it, only learn to manage it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 3:09pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so.. do anyone have a suggestion for a solution?? How can a man manage fear?

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared. ~Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

Found a fitting quote on the subject. "There can be no courage unless you're scared."

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fear is for pussies. A ************ so much as breathes aggressively on me and I move to take his head off.

Fear? **** that ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    5/09/2010 4:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Experience is the only way to overcome fear. Until then, you need to know what your purpose is and what is standing in the way of completing it.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast