Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 1:58pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Not to jump on a brother from another mother, but it's Naihanchi Shodan, as there are three divisions of Naihanchi/Tekki/Naebojin/Cheolgi. It's not necessarily a "version" of the Naihanchi kata. It's just the first piece.
    I dont do Tekki/Naihanchi (its not done in most kyokushin factions) so if you say its Shodan Ill concede. As for calling it a version -well considering all the different versions of tekki/naihanchi there are (the main 3 and the many minor variations that differ one styles Tekki 1 from another styles naihanchi 1), this is certainly a version of one of them :-)

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 3:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    They would need a 10 second censor button.
    Ever listen to Drunken Tiger's "How Long is a Chinese man?"

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 3:32pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kolsyrade View Post
    I dont do Tekki/Naihanchi (its not done in most kyokushin factions) so if you say its Shodan Ill concede. As for calling it a version -well considering all the different versions of tekki/naihanchi there are (the main 3 and the many minor variations that differ one styles Tekki 1 from another styles naihanchi 1), this is certainly a version of one of them :-)
    I always wondered why Oyama picked the kata he did.

I've seen videos of him performing Naihanchi, so it would seem he placed some level of value on it.

I wonder why it's not a major kata in most Kyokushin factions?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 4:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I swear Oyama just picked a handful of kata so people wouldn't give him **** for calling Kyokushin a karate style. The only one that seems to be universally appreciated in the Kyokushin offshoots is Sanchin.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 4:54pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I swear Oyama just picked a handful of kata so people wouldn't give him **** for calling Kyokushin a karate style. The only one that seems to be universally appreciated in the Kyokushin offshoots is Sanchin.
    Yeah, Sanchin's the only one I can appreciate an sort of immediacy as far as Kyokushin fighting technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 6:26pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I always wondered why Oyama picked the kata he did.

I've seen videos of him performing Naihanchi, so it would seem he placed some level of value on it.

I wonder why it's not a major kata in most Kyokushin factions?
    He included a lot of katas, like Tekki, Bassai, Choun no kon and a few other into kyokushin in the very early days, that were removed later (only to be reintroduced some years ago by IKO1).

The kyokushin Kata list was unchanged from the late 50ies to the late 90ies -even after the great split in kyokushin.
    It was not until 1999 or so that IKO1 under Matsui started to reintroduce them at the insistence of their senior shihan (Bobby Lowe), and they were not officially reintroduced into the IKO1 syllabus until the mid 2K.
    Some groups have played around with low level katas, variations of the taikyoku´s and so on. But that can hardly be called serious katas.
    (strangely, Oyama always insisted that the Taikyoku series was the most important katas)

The reason the Kata was removed was strictly time limit that required either fighting or kata to be reduced. And Oyama was not likely to reduce training time for fighting training.
    Not that Kyokushin has ever placed as high importance on kata as most other styles anyway.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345