5/06/2010 10:54am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Olympic silver medalist Stephen Abas successful in mixed martial arts debut

Olympic silver medalist Stephen Abas successful in mixed martial arts debut

LEMOORE Stephen Abas has wrestled just about his entire life

But in all his years of competition, Abas has never seen a kick flying at his head.

That all changed on Wednesday night as the former Olympic silver medalist made his mixed martial arts debut at the Tachi Palace Fights "Cinco de Mayhem" card in Lemoore.

Abas, a three-time national champion and four-time All-America at Fresno State, admitted it was a little different being in the cage.

When all was said and done, the result was still the same as most of his wrestling matches it ended with Abas having his arm raised in victory.

Abas defeated Sacramento's Sam Stevens-Milo via majority decision to improve to 1-0 in his MMA career.

"I still have to get used to the kicks," Abas said. "I hate those the most. I always figured if I ever got in a street fight, the guy would get one swing at me before I'd take him down."

That is almost exactly what happened on Wednesday.

Stevens-Milo attempted a couple of leg kicks, which were blocked, and then Abas exploded for a double-leg takedown.

Abas dominated the entire first round, but ran into some trouble in the second and third rounds. Stevens-Milo, who had six pro MMA bouts under his belt, was close to locking in a heel-hook, but Abas stayed calm and reversed into a full-mount position where he inflicted some damage with his ground-and-pound.

Abas was deducted a point in the third and final round for poking Stevens-Milo in the eye, but he turned things around with a couple more explosive double-leg takedowns.

The judges scored the bout 28-28, 29-27, 29-27, giving Abas a majority decision victory.

"He's still growing and progressing as a fighter," said Jeremy Luchau, Tachi Palace entertainment coordinator. "He still has stuff to learn, but there is no questioning his athleticism. Nobody is going to be able to stop his takedowns."

The Times-Delta scored the bout 29-27 for Abas.

"The nine minutes went by quick," Abas said. "We trained every day for this. I stuck to the training and it all paid off."
    http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/art...ial-arts-debut

Full article at link.
    Stephen Abas received a silver medal at the 2004 Olympic Games.
    Hopefully we can see another Olympic athlete successful in mixed martial arts competition. Then after Olympic athletes from other combat sports as well.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 10:59am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see Stephen Lopez in an MMA fight.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2010 11:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another wrestler in mma, winning by takedowns. Makes it less brutal at least.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2010 5:07pm

Style: WrestlingMmaMuayThaiTkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    I'd like to see Stephen Lopez in an MMA fight.
    I'd rather see him in K1